Topic: Suzuki Chain adjuster needed ASAP  (Read 1122 times)

Offline 77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • 77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: On-road since 2008, Off-road since 2002.
Suzuki Chain adjuster needed ASAP
« on: 05/06/14 09:28AM »
Hey guys,

I recently sheared the bolt on my SV650 chain adjuster and need to replace it ASAP so that I can continue to commute.

What I need is the chain adjuster block and backing plate from a 2nd gen SV650.  If you have one of these, please send me a message or PM me here ASAP.  I really need to get this bike back on the road and can't wait the two weeks the dealer is going to take to get it.

Thanks in advance guys.

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• I can't wheelie my 1000 :-( JK
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
  • I FIX BIKES - 714 798 4077
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many.
  • Years Riding: 9
Re: Suzuki Chain adjuster needed ASAP
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/14 09:47AM »
Post a picture of exactly what you need, I think ive got a few laying around just want to confirm.

Offline 77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • 77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/07/14 08:52AM »
I have one coming from a guy on the SV forum.  But i'll still post a pic to give you an idea of what went wrong.

It simply stretched that bolt in two, I'm lucky it didn't happen while I was on the freeway.

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/07/14 09:15AM »
I have one coming from a guy on the SV forum.  But i'll still post a pic to give you an idea of what went wrong.

It simply stretched that bolt in two, I'm lucky it didn't happen while I was on the freeway.

Ah okay, yeah that setup sucks, especially if you are throttle happy.

Offline 77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • 77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/07/14 12:07PM »

Which I am.  I guess, I'm going to have to tone it done a bit.  :/

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/07/14 04:48PM »

Nah just keep a back up lol. Check the torque value on that axle too.

Offline 77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • 77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/07/14 08:08PM »

I'm thinking this was my issue honestly.   I recently replaced my back tire and I do not believe I tightened my rear axle enough.  I don't usually use a torque wrench unless it's on the heads of a motor; I've been trained well enough to, for the most part, feel when something is torqued down enough to be in spec.  I usually get things just right, but I remember thinking that when I tightened the axle that it may not have been tight enough.  Being an idiot, I didn't want to tighten too much and put undue stress on the bearings so I snugged it and figured it would hold.  I guess I was wrong.  A little more torque on my end and it shouldn't happen again.

Offline O.G.SuzukiChris

• CHECK US OUT ON YELP SO CAL MOTO PROS
  • 599cc
  • O.G.SuzukiChris's Gallery
  • 11 1000 Gsxr
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 89gsxr 750 project ,1993 GS500 ,2011gsxr1000
  • Years Riding: 24
« Reply #7 on: 05/08/14 11:12AM »
 :30: i have a gs500 sitting around here looks about the same but not exactly sure.. :26: :21:

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/08/14 11:47AM »

I'm thinking this was my issue honestly.   I recently replaced my back tire and I do not believe I tightened my rear axle enough.  I don't usually use a torque wrench unless it's on the heads of a motor; I've been trained well enough to, for the most part, feel when something is torqued down enough to be in spec.  I usually get things just right, but I remember thinking that when I tightened the axle that it may not have been tight enough.  Being an idiot, I didn't want to tighten too much and put undue stress on the bearings so I snugged it and figured it would hold.  I guess I was wrong.  A little more torque on my end and it shouldn't happen again.

Usually when you think its 'tight' you can hit it with a little more lol. Its damn near impossible to crush the bearings by over tightening your axle if you have the right IBS and spacers, leave something out and thats a different story.

Offline 77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • 77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/08/14 12:10PM »
This is the first time in 10 years of riding/working on bikes that I have ever had an issue with an axle nut.  You can over tighten them, it may not hurt the bearings but it does put undue pressure on the system causing the wheel to not spin freely; it ends up rolling about a foot then stopping, unlike a properly torqued rim that should roll a bit further without drag.

Any-who, my new adjuster is out for delivery right now and I find myself checking the tracking site every 5 minutes to check for delivery so I can go change it out.  (I have the adjuster being delivered to my father's house where my bike is currently resting.)  If all goes well I should be back up and riding today.

Offline 77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • 77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/08/14 03:01PM »
Got the adjuster in today, the guy shipped really fast which was awesome.  Now I'm back in business and enjoying life again.

Here are some pics of what I was dealing with.

How the part is supposed to look:

How mine looked:

It may be hard to see, but the stress pulled the welded bolt hard enough that the adjuster bracket actually cracked and started tearing around the weld points.

Offline O.G.SuzukiChris

• CHECK US OUT ON YELP SO CAL MOTO PROS
  • 599cc
  • O.G.SuzukiChris's Gallery
  • 11 1000 Gsxr
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 89gsxr 750 project ,1993 GS500 ,2011gsxr1000
  • Years Riding: 24
« Reply #11 on: 05/08/14 06:31PM »
 Noice and yes over tightening is probably not the best idea that why there's torque specs. :30: :31:

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/09/14 09:52AM »
This is the first time in 10 years of riding/working on bikes that I have ever had an issue with an axle nut.  You can over tighten them, it may not hurt the bearings but it does put undue pressure on the system causing the wheel to not spin freely; it ends up rolling about a foot then stopping, unlike a properly torqued rim that should roll a bit further without drag.

Any-who, my new adjuster is out for delivery right now and I find myself checking the tracking site every 5 minutes to check for delivery so I can go change it out.  (I have the adjuster being delivered to my father's house where my bike is currently resting.)  If all goes well I should be back up and riding today.

Didnt say you cant, just said its really hard to do. Glad you got it all fixed up and are back on the road.

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 55 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook