Topic: Any helmet gurus?  (Read 5904 times)

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
Re: Any helmet gurus?
« Reply #40 on: 05/13/15 09:20AM »

In case anyone else is looking at this closeout deal, here's my take on the Bell Star Carbon:
* Very nice quality helmet and light.  Lighter than my HJC IS-16 but not really that noticeable;
* Snug fit on the cheeks but not bothersome; there are thinner cheek pads available in case you feel to squeezed in.  If you wear glasses, it is definitely a tight fit.  Luckily I have a very thin frame on mine, so it works.
* Aerodynamics are great.  Comfortable at high speed.  Probably mostly geared towards sport bikes.  Someone on here  mentioned it causes drag; maybe that is because of a more upright riding postion, not sure?  Seems very good for my purpose.
* Great ventilation.
* Main downside: it is LOUD as some others have mentioned (louder than my HJC IS-16).  With great ventilation comes wind noise; I wore some light ear plugs this morning, which makes a world of difference; I will probably wear them most of the time with this helmet.

So, all in all, a great helmet but keep wind noise in mind.  I think it is a great value at the discounted price but not at full retail IMO.  It makes me realize how great of a value the HJC IS series really are.  Not quite at the level of the Bell but not that far off and it is quieter.

Oh, almost forgot, I did order the transition shield with it and it is awesome; surprised not more brands offer it?!  Haven't ridden in super bright sunlight yet but it always seem to provide the perfect tint. 

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #41 on: 05/13/15 09:38AM »
Oh, almost forgot, I did order the transition shield with it and it is awesome; surprised not more brands offer it?!  Haven't ridden in super bright sunlight yet but it always seem to provide the perfect tint.
Bell had an exclusive on the transitions lens, but that has expired and others like Shoei are getting into the game. So far the quietest Helmet I have worn is my Schuberth C3 even still I wear ear plugs, not worth losing your hearing due to NIHL.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05/13/15 09:56AM »
Bell had an exclusive on the transitions lens

Ah, that would explain it!

Rogue

« Reply #43 on: 05/13/15 10:25AM »
Noise is all relative to what one's personal experience.

I thought my Shoei RF1200 was quiet, until I got the X12.  The X12 is one of the quietest helmets I've ever owned.  Even with vents open, and it flows A LOT of air when in the sportbike riding position, it is VERY quiet.  It's so quiet, when I'm riding my VFR800 (stock exhaust) I can barely hear its exhaust.  Like OOTV said, I still always wear my hearing protection.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05/13/15 10:30AM »
Noise is all relative to what one's personal experience.

I thought my Shoei RF1200 was quiet, until I got the X12.  The X12 is one of the quietest helmets I've ever owned.  Even with vents open, and it flows A LOT of air when in the sportbike riding position, it is VERY quiet.  It's so quiet, when I'm riding my VFR800 (stock exhaust) I can barely hear its exhaust.  Like OOTV said, I still always wear my hearing protection.

Yea, subtle changes can probably make a big difference.  It's mainly air turbulence that you can hear but not too surprising with the huge air vents in the back; it's otherwise quiet.  Not too big of a deal though, especially with ear plugs.

Page created in 5.13 seconds with 38 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything