Topic: SCAM ALERT: Stay Away From Madman Motorcycles & Kevin Marino (Ebay / Ohio)  (Read 7911 times)

Offline Klaus

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Klaus's Gallery
  • I fix problems.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too Many
  • Years Riding: Too Many
I recently purchased some goodies from an ebay store out in Akron, Ohio.  I was constantly lied to, got the run-around for over three weeks from Madman Motorcycles which resulted in the refusal of a refund before shipment, refusal of a refund after shipment, becoming a victim of fraud, risking my life, and becoming a little more bitter deep down inside.

I don't support bad shops like Madman Motorcycles and want to warn other riders about supporting bad shops.  You can choose to patronize them, picket them, or continue on with your daily lives.  Maybe they're kind to locals, but they just don't give a flying f*ck about other Americans out of arm's reach. So here's my story:

Madman Motorcycles sells parts locally and have a huge ebay selection.  Their prices were pretty decent, they had excellent ebay feedback with thousands of transactions, and they had a direct line which I thought was safe at the time..  We discussed a discount when the money was sent as a gift, which I later came to regret: I was a little concerned sending the money as a gift but explicitly said over the phone "as long as it gets shipped out within the next day or two, I don't need a tracking number."  The money was sent in full immediately.

Over a week later I hadn't received anything.  No tracking number.  No package in the mail.  No phone call.  No text.  So I called them.  He said his phone was out of service and he'd have it sent out immediately.  I can understand things like this, no problem.  This was cutting it close as I had a supercar rally to go to and needed the parts I ordered in order to properly compete.  But I'm a trusting person. 

Another week passed.  I failed to place in the rally because I never received the parts I ordered.  At this point, I didn't even need the parts anymore.  It didn't matter.  So I called again.  Same guy picks up and I tell him off the bat I just want a refund.  He proceeds to tell me how it must not have been sent out yet.  It wasn't on their list of things to send out.  I guess almost $300 doesn't put you on the list with Madman Motorcycles.  That isn't pocket change, that's some serious money.  I text him and tell him I want a refund before he sends the items out.

He says he "can't issue a refund".  He says it's not possible.  At this point it's clear he doesn't want to issue a refund. So I take a photo showing it's possible.  He ignores it and responds telling me why it hasn't been shipped out and I text him again that I just want a refund.  He texts me a picture of a package.  I call him immediately, he doesn't pick up.  I text him saying NOT TO SEND IT OUT, I DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE.  He complains to me "how he had to drive an hour to get to the post office." I posted this on Ohio's Sport Bike page and they said no where in Ohio does it take an hour to reach a post office.  Pardon my French, but what a scumbag.  Paypal won't fight it because it was sent as a gift.  I have some written drafts which I'll be sending in to Ohio's Better Business Bureau within the week to file an official complaint.

So basically imagine going to a steakhouse with your lover, your motorcycle.  It's a special occasion and you're willing to spend whatever it costs to make her happy.  You order two of the best meals on the menu.  They're going to cost you some serious dough but it doesn't matter.  An hour later and you stand up to leave, the waiter runs up to you and tells you your order just went in.  Another hour later you stand up to leave and ask for a refund because you had to pay in advance.  The waiter refuses to give it to you.  Another hour arrives and your steak arrives cold.  You don't even want it anymore.  You demand a refund and the waiter tells you it's already been made, you can't get a refund anymore.  You demand to talk to a manager and the manager just stands there, listens to your story, doesn't say anything, and walks away.  I wouldn't go back to that restaurant, would you?

But Wait, There's More: not all of the items I ordered were even in the box. 

The items that actually were in the box were all f*cked up. 

WHAT THE F*CK.  None of this was damaged in shipping stuff, this was damaged going into the box and wrapped in newspaper.  We had talked over the phone and agreed upon fully functioning throttle bodies, a fully functional fuel pump, a gauge cluster, and a rectifier.  The gauge cluster was missing all together.  The throttle bodies were different than originally pictured, had their secondary butterflies removed, the return spring disconnected (That would have been a GREAT test drive if I hadn't noticed... he could have f*cking killed me), presumably with an equally disfunctional STVA (which was the only reason I needed the throttle bodies in the first place), and a bent, unattached fuel float on the pump.

This isn't an issue of "you shouldn't send paypal as a gift" ... This is a f*cked up shop that's just ripping people off.  What scumbags.  The name on the box says "Kevin Marino" ... Look him up and his colorful history of 7 DUIs, almost killing his passenger when he was racing someone in his truck, lost control, and slammed head-on into a 23-year old girl.  Stay away from Madman Cycles and their Sh*tbag Ethics and Business Practices.  They've changed their name at least twice so when people get an idea of how bad it is, they just change the name.

If you're a fan of stunting, Kevin Marino leads Starboyz, the local stunter crew.  If you stunt, no skin off my back at all.  But when your president is a sh*tbag, I'm going to think the same about the rest of the crew who support him and pool money to bail him out.  Shame on you is all I have to say.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/man-has-arm-amputated-following-head-on-crash-in-akron-alcohol-speed-suspected-as-factors-1.472094

« Last Edit: 08/07/14 01:24PM by Klaus »
Efficiency is beauty.  Patterns rule the world.

Offline vyzion

• 125cc
  • vyzion's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Suzuki GSXR600, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
  • Years Riding: 2012
What a douche bag.

Offline Scblacksunshine

Just in case people are wondering what Kevin Marino looks like..

http://www.starboyz.net/usa/

Offline mikeK6Gsxr600

never send money as a gift...never for goods.
lolz

you did fvvvck up. And yes,  you now technically you did by your own authorization an accord by sending it in this manner. That is why ebay has so much buyer protection built it when you do things right. If anything, they lean and decide on the buyer wayy too much and give wayy too many refunds.

lesson learned and moral of the story. Dont skirt around ebay or suffer the consequences.
Signature removed due to excessive size. Max size is 200px

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
Thanks for the heads up, but there is no seller on eBay going by "Madman Cycles".  :4:

Second, never buy from a seller with full-sleeve tats.

Third, I have to agree with the comment above, eBay does everything it can to protect buyers including refunding a dispute with their own money for non-shipment of goods, but only if your payment is attached to an item.  Sending money as a gift leaves no recourse, and unfortunately, you dealt with a Grade A douche so the result isn't surprising.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
This situation is one reason I try not to buy from eBay if I can avoid it, but I do not circumvent any buying process they have. i.e. Sending money as a "gift" if/when I do. I also do a little research on the person/place that is selling the product, if available. Some sellers are first time sellers and I usually don't buy from them, but if it is a store or other established business, it should be relatively easy to find a sell history and customer satisfaction rating.

Long story short Klaus, you took a chance and were far too trusting and in this case it came back to bite you. Thanks for the heads up on this guy but it looks like he's packed up shop and will probably resurface with a different name and/or move over to CL for a while.

If there was ever a saying that fits this situation, 'caveat emptor' sure does come to mind.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline Klaus

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Klaus's Gallery
  • I fix problems.
    • View Profile
Thanks for the heads up, but there is no seller on eBay going by "Madman Cycles".  :4:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/madmanmotorcycles?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

... at 100% seller rating...? WTF?

Second, never buy from a seller with full-sleeve tats.

It's not his store's profile picture, I know now after receiving the package, looking up his name, and looking up his public history.

Third, I have to agree with the comment above, eBay does everything it can to protect buyers including refunding a dispute with their own money for non-shipment of goods, but only if your payment is attached to an item.  Sending money as a gift leaves no recourse, and unfortunately, you dealt with a Grade A douche so the result isn't surprising.

Seems symbiosis has been replaced by security.  The US is perceived to be trustworthy and reliable in terms of global economics, on a micro-scale not so much.  Maybe we should have TSA agents inspecting all mail just to make sure it's safe (and you'll pay for it, too!)

This situation is one reason I try not to buy from eBay if I can avoid it, but I do not circumvent any buying process they have. i.e. Sending money as a "gift" if/when I do. I also do a little research on the person/place that is selling the product, if available. Some sellers are first time sellers and I usually don't buy from them, but if it is a store or other established business, it should be relatively easy to find a sell history and customer satisfaction rating.

Long story short Klaus, you took a chance and were far too trusting and in this case it came back to bite you. Thanks for the heads up on this guy but it looks like he's packed up shop and will probably resurface with a different name and/or move over to CL for a while.

100% seller rating.  Ebay store with over 3,000 transactions.  Direct phone number.  Seemed safe to me at the time.  Maybe I'm wrong to put so much trust in business.  I want all of my customers to trust me, owning a business demands that level of trust.

If there was ever a saying that fits this situation, 'caveat emptor' sure does come to mind.

1) The items photographed and agreed upon were not the items he sent at all.  I forgot to mention he said over the phone that "he had sold one of the items but he had another" ...
2) He sent different items than agreed upon. 
3) He lied about sending out the items.  There was a two-week downtime where the items were never even sent out.
4) He refused to issue a refund, before the items had even been sent.
5) I could have died or blown the engine on the test drive with that different set of throttle bodies with throttle return spring.  Doesn't that apply to "The only exception was if the seller actively concealed latent defects or otherwise made material misrepresentations amounting to fraud."
« Last Edit: 08/07/14 01:15PM by Klaus »

Offline tuface

• 599cc
  • tuface's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 2
Thanks for the warning...

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• I can't wheelie my 1000 :-( JK
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
  • I FIX BIKES - 714 798 4077
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many.
  • Years Riding: 9
Call paypal and speak to someone they usually are very helpful.

Offline mikeK6Gsxr600

mistake 1. sent as gift.

everything else doesn't matter.....

why write so much, when you yourself started all this by your dumb mistake?  no explanations, what-if's, I could of died stuff was necessary to say. The sky coulda fallen on you too.  Take responsibility and move forward.

Signature removed due to excessive size. Max size is 200px

Offline ThrillQuest

Contact Paypal and explain that sending it via gift was a mistake, this was a purchase that went awry.
The speedometer only serves as a distraction.
Sometimes life just isn't fair. Expecting life to treat you well because you're a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you're vegetarian.

Offline Fezz

• "Wheres My Bike"
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Fezz's Gallery
  • FezzBrothers Team
    • View Profile
    • Radio Frequency !!!
  • Bike: Cee Bee Arrghhhh
Contact your bank and submit a charge-back. 

Online thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
Contact your bank and submit a charge-back.

Sadly then PayPal will lock your account, and blacklist you; that's never fun if you want to buy stuff on the Internet (as much as I can't stand PayPal).

HBKwaka

Every douche looks like Jesse James who is the douche leader...

Online thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
Every douche looks like Jesse James who is the douche leader...

Well, he did cheat on Sandra Bullock. I mean really, if you're married to Sandra Bullock you don't sleep around!

Offline Klaus

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Klaus's Gallery
  • I fix problems.
    • View Profile
mistake 1. sent as gift.

everything else doesn't matter.....

why write so much, when you yourself started all this by your dumb mistake?  no explanations, what-if's, I could of died stuff was necessary to say. The sky coulda fallen on you too.  Take responsibility and move forward.

Here's a nice little article you might enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

Next time you get screwed over by anyone, from ex-girlfriend to ice cream truck [to Madman Motorcycles], shoot me a phone call or text and I'll tell you how it was your fault. You can reach me directly at (949)295-OI57.  Standard Messaging Rates Apply.

Paypal screws thousands [millions?] of users every single day.  I hate paypal in general.  I'm still waiting for a viable alternative.  If the consumer is able to pay less and the seller is able to receive more, I'm more than happy to promote that symbiosis.  Wouldn't you?  I mean, what happened to trust these days?   :26:  So now I'm forced to charge more and receive less because of one outlier on the bell curve.  Sweet.  We've all lost [except for PayPal and Kevin Marino].
« Last Edit: 08/08/14 03:11PM by Klaus »

Offline Myroadrash

I don't understand why you paid in Gift though? If you buy it through Ebay, it's 10% fee for him. If you pay WITH paypal under "Goods & Servies" (Where you are STILL Buyer Protected!) it's only 2.5% fee... straight through paypal with No Ebay.

I'm a GINGER.... Why yes, that means I have no SOUL! MUAHAHAH

I'm pretty fly for a white guy.

Offline AVN

• 125cc
  • AVN's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CBR500R
Completely f'd up. Thanks for the candid review. I never trusted eBay stores to begin with, this is more evidence to support that.

And to everyone bagging on him "because he's stupid and sent it as a gift" I say to you;  SHAME! He is OBVIOUSLY not naive enough that he didn't know the problem with paypal gifting. The guy LIED TO HIS FACE.

Please try to read his entire post before responding.
My avatar is for show. I respect and stop for ALL LEO!

Online thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
Completely f'd up. Thanks for the candid review. I never trusted eBay stores to begin with, this is more evidence to support that.

I have personally bought most of my parts through eBay with no real issue. The best thing is to make sure its purchased through eBay, or PayPal processed as goods. If it were sold as goods, he'd have money back.

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 66 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything