Topic: Triumph Dealer? Looking to try on a Street Triple R...  (Read 5536 times)

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
So what Triumph dealer would you recommend? I really want to ride before I buy, but I'm "ready to go" on making a purchase.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
I had a great experience with Triumph Newport Beach, Aaron, the sales manager, is knowledgeable and gave me a great deal on my old S3.

:49:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
Did you ride the FZ09 and not like it? Or do you figure the ST doesn't need the upgrades to suspension ect. so the price is closer to the Yamaha? 
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
Did you ride the FZ09 and not like it? Or do you figure the ST doesn't need the upgrades to suspension ect. so the price is closer to the Yamaha?

Several things were taken into consideration before I realized it's just a better overall deal.

1) Seating position. The FZ-09 has a 1 degree lean angle while the Street Triple R ABS has a 14 degree lean angle. My complaint about my cruiser is the absolute upright position, and how it transfers shock directly into my back. This takes care of that issue, and allows for more sport styled body position vs the pure supermoto styled FZ-09
2) Fueling. It's not that bad from what I gather, but it's still a bit jerky and unforgiving apparently. No issues on the Street Triple R.
3) Suspension. No brainier here, the R's suspension is good out of the gate.
4) Price. There's a $2k difference, and the upgrades to the FZ-09 would cost at least $3k+
5) Reliability Concerns. The FZ-09 continues to have cam chain tensioner issues, and I hate those things. Yamahas's have always been clacky, and I don't feel like dealing with it. Manual tensioners work but could cause wear to the cam chain guides over time.

« Last Edit: 08/21/14 02:21PM by thtanner »

Offline ocswing

• 749cc
  • ocswing's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R
  • Years Riding: 4
You're fine with either NB or Brea. Either will let you test ride one. If you want the best deal Bert's Mega Mall does let them go for pretty cheap, but you wouldn't want to use them after the sale at all.

I love mine, but I will say the off to on throttle transition can sometimes be abrupt. Otherwise the fueling is really smooth. Some people had issues on the new ones with leaks, but most of the time it was just tightening everything to spec. It really is a great bike!

Offline eddiemon

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • eddiemon's Gallery
  • Unofficial OCMoto Photographer
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Suzuki SV650
So what Triumph dealer would you recommend? I really want to ride before I buy, but I'm "ready to go" on making a purchase.

Hi thtanner, Go to either NB Ducati/Triumph or SoCalMotorcycles to demo, whichever one is closer to you.

SoCalMotorcycles is the #1 Triumph dealer in the country so you may get the best price there...

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
Well thought out, you left out the ST just looks better :19: Both are great bikes.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline VxN675

• Advisory Board
  • 599cc
  • VxN675's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
  • Years Riding: 7 years/ 150,000+ miles
You're fine with either NB or Brea. Either will let you test ride one. If you want the best deal Bert's Mega Mall does let them go for pretty cheap, but you wouldn't want to use them after the sale at all.

I love mine, but I will say the off to on throttle transition can sometimes be abrupt. Otherwise the fueling is really smooth. Some people had issues on the new ones with leaks, but most of the time it was just tightening everything to spec. It really is a great bike!

+1
Great choice!  :49:
I purchased my '09 Street Triple in the Fall of 08'. There are a lot more Triumph dealers around than there were when I was shopping for mine. You'll definitely be able to get a good deal with all the competition. For service, I go to Mickey Cohen Motorsports in Placentia.

Oh, and I got one of these to solve the sensitive throttle issue: http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
Throttle Chopper, ocswing, eddie, VxN675 - thanks. I'm thinking I'll give NB a shot, mainly because they're close to Freebirds burritos  :19: If that doesn't work out I'll head to Brea and see what they can do. All of your input was helpful and greatly appreciated.

I need it in graphite. Not want; need.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
^^^
That's a beautiful paint scheme!  :25:  Do it!!
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline ocswing

• 749cc
  • ocswing's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R
  • Years Riding: 4
Re: Triumph Dealer? Looking to try on a Street Triple R...
« Reply #10 on: 08/21/14 04:41PM »
The Graphite looks awesome! Just remember it's a matte paint though so it can be a pain to keep looking nice. I wanted that, but when I saw the White in person it's pretty good as well. If you have any other questions or want to meet up to look at one for an extended time hit me up. I seriously love my bike!

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #11 on: 08/21/14 05:17PM »
I have a buddy at and bought my bike from Brea.  Newport is cool people too though so I recommend what's closer.  They even have pickup within a certain range of the shop which was cool. It is also nicer temps in Newport..... :)
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline Sean-DP

• 749cc
  • Sean-DP's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: S1000R + Yamaha Star Bolt + Vespa 946
  • Years Riding: 2013
« Reply #12 on: 08/21/14 05:32PM »
It's a bike that seems to hit a lot of sweet spots plus it's just badass. You're making a wise choice!

Offline honda pc

• 749cc
  • honda pc's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 88 hawk gt, bandit 1250
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #13 on: 08/21/14 05:52PM »
have you tried the fz07.....its way better then fz09... ready to go... I demo both fz07 and fz09....came out liking the fz07 way better as stock bikes.... fz07 rides like a normal bike....instead of the fz09 dirtbike feeling postion...
fz09 power was only thing better then fz07.....  yes,,, fz07 handling is amazing, way better then fz09....
and supposedly mpg is rated at 58 mpg...testers rated it at 50mpg...
magazine reviews, tester reviews have rated fz07 as a better bike then the fz09....as stock from factory...

I will say fz 09, 07 looks way better then the triumph....

I haven't test rode any triumphs yet....last time I asked at newport....guy basically said...unless you are buying it now, no test rides....

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08/21/14 05:58PM »
have you tried the fz07.....its way better then fz09... ready to go... I demo both fz07 and fz09....came out liking the fz07 way better as stock bikes.... fz07 rides like a normal bike....instead of the fz09 dirtbike feeling postion...
fz09 power was only thing better then fz07.....  yes,,, fz07 handling is amazing, way better then fz09....
and supposedly mpg is rated at 58 mpg...testers rated it at 50mpg...
magazine reviews, tester reviews have rated fz07 as a better bike then the fz09....as stock from factory...

I will say fz 09, 07 looks way better then the triumph....

I haven't test rode any triumphs yet....last time I asked at newport....guy basically said...unless you are buying it now, no test rides....

I personally have no interest in the FZ-07. We're selling (or) trading-in an ER-6n, which is a 650 ptwin, so a larger thuddy ptwin really doesn't call to me. I want something more refined in areas that'll help when riding sportily (the ohlins suspension, etc). It's probably a better off-the-lot bike than the 09, but compared to the triple r (other than the headlight aesthetics.. which I hate on the triple actually), it's just a lot less bike.

I am looking to buy, so I guess that rule will be fine. If I don't like the bike I won't buy it though, but I don't think that'll happen.

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #15 on: 08/21/14 07:13PM »
I've been there quite a few times over the years and they never said that whether at an event or couple months ago when I stopped in.  Maybe you were mean? :)
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline RickRacer

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RickRacer's Gallery
  • Winner - 2013 Summer Odometer Challenge ;)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '08 Triumph Sprint ST 1050, '97 CBR 900RR, '88 Yamaha FZ750
  • Years Riding: 46 years
« Reply #16 on: 08/21/14 07:51PM »
Even though I didn't buy it there, Douglas Triumph in San Bernardino is my dealer of choice.  Good service at great prices, and I like the people.  If you are dealing, worth giving them a holler at least.

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08/22/14 11:28PM »
Cheers Rick.

Heading to the stealerships tomorrow so we'll see how the cookie crumbles.  :31:

Offline erkishhorde

« Reply #18 on: 08/23/14 09:32AM »
Not that you need any help negotiating a price, but FYI, I got my 2013 Striple R at Bert's Mega Mall for$11100 OTD last year. Also got a free motoyard track day and 2 night stay in Reno but never used either. lol. Don't get me wrong. I hate Bert's. But they sell high volume and can afford to discount if you're looking for a deal. They beat out Douglas and Brea in phone call pricing. Don't think they'll let you test ride though.
« Last Edit: 08/23/14 09:36AM by erkishhorde »

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08/23/14 09:59AM »
Not that you need any help negotiating a price, but FYI, I got my 2013 Striple R at Bert's Mega Mall for$11100 OTD last year. Also got a free motoyard track day and 2 night stay in Reno but never used either. lol. Don't get me wrong. I hate Bert's. But they sell high volume and can afford to discount if you're looking for a deal. They beat out Douglas and Brea in phone call pricing. Don't think they'll let you test ride though.

Thanks for the price reference point. I really don't feel like doing Bert's... it's far and I would never get service from them. The time back and forth getting it etc would cost enough in gas to maybe offset getting it elsewhere. If nobody else wants to play (which the 2015s are coming out soon, I can't imagine they're going to be too stiff) I'll have to check them out, though.

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 68 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook