Topic: Hudson's in Gardena - Not a recommendation  (Read 8318 times)

Offline The Evasive_1

• 998cc
  • The Evasive_1's Gallery
  • T.I. Trooper / Street Syndicate soldier
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 Suzuki SV650 S / '09 Honda CBR1000RR-Repsol
Hudson's in Gardena - Not a recommendation
« on: 04/14/15 05:14PM »
I donít usually write reviews or complaints on repair shops, but I really felt compelled this time. I went to Hudsonís Motorcycles in Gardena to get an oil change. Simple enough. Iíve been there a couple of times for stuff over the years. I donít typically go there because there labor tends to be more than some of the other repair places in the area, but their a little closer to me so I would go there now and then. Anyway, a couple of days later, a friend notice my fairings hadnít been completely attached. Not big deal, but my friend asks am I sure that nothing else is wrong since I left Hudsonís. I hadnít noticed anything, but literally two days later I noticed a leak stain near where my bike is parked in the garage. I check the bike and donít see any leaks. A few days later, I notice a leak stain following the path I backed out of the garage. I check the bike again. No leak is visible but now I know I need to take the bike back to check it out since I canít see anything. Well, sure enough the next day, the leak that couldnít be seen suddenly revealed itself with oil literally pouring out of my filter with the bike on. I definitely couldnít ride the bike as is, so I contacted Hudsonís to let them know whatís going on. During the conversation, I mention that I can try to tighten the filter (take note of what I just said as I will come back to this) just so I can attempt to ride it back out to them. But, I didnít have the necessary tool to do it so I called them back and let them know the bike is unridable. I also, during my explanation of whatís happening, tell them I couldnít get to the filter to tighten it. Now as I expected, they decide to send a truck for pick upÖthe next morning. Not a big issue, but unfortunately, I find out they donít even look at my bike till the day after that. Hmm, ok. At least Iím eventually told itís the filter. Ok, great. As long as they correct the issue, no problem. 

So, after a couple of days trying to get a ride back out Hudsonís, I finally make it out there only for them to charge me for the oil. I didnít understand how I was being charged anything since the problem occurred after they worked on my bike. The guy at the counter says the fast leak was my fault for tightening the filter. I didnít tighten the filter, I explained. I couldnít which is why the bike had to be picked up. In fact, I had explained this on the phone earlier AND to the guy who came to pick up the bike. But oh no, this wasnít some miscommunication. I was obviously lying according to this guy. Hereís the thing, even if I HAD tightened the filter, the bike had a major leak problem. I couldnít ride the bike out there with oil gushing out my filter so what should I have done?  I even mentioned I had the pictures of everything so what is he trying to pull? Of course the manager gets called. Now here is where things get flipped. Itís not the oil I am actually paying for, but Iím told that I should have paid for the new filter! How is that? Because, according to Hudsonís, the filter is warrantied and the customer has to go back to K&N for reimbursement. Itís not on them and I was lucky they didnít charge me for another oil change! Never, at any other car or motorcycle repair shop that has done work, installed a part and it went bad, have they tried to make me pay for a replacement part to something they installed. Especially when itís only weeks after the initial work. I could understand if I was coming back 2 months or later (I actually said this to the manager as we were arguing) but not when the work was just done recently. We kept going back in forth as to what a warranty means (like I donít know what a warranty means after owning several cars and bikes over years as well as having worked for Ford) as he alluded I didnít understand instead of just acknowledging that this had nothing to do with the warranty. He just wanted to charge for something. In fact, I brought up the fact that he was switching the story as to why I was paying, but his response was that he had a choice to back up his employee or try to resolve the situation. I told him heís not resolving the situation (thus he IS backing up his employee) because he is still making me pay for correcting a problem that began in his shop. You know he even tried to say they went above and beyond by coming to pick my bike up? Wow. Really? He actually didnít think it was the right thing to do regardless to go out and pick up a bike that was broke after it was worked on in his shop? Obviously, in the end I just paid the fee. I was losing control of my temper and I just needed to get my bike and get out of there. Oil isnít a lot, but it was the principle that they would try to pull this stunt instead of just completely correcting the issue to ensure that I keep coming back to them and recommend them to others. Now, theyíve ensured I Ďm going to do the opposite on both counts.

If youíve been to Hudsonís and you like their service then keep going if you like. However, I would suggest you find another repair shop before you end up in a similar situation.
« Last Edit: 04/14/15 06:20PM by The Evasive_1 »
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Offline SplittinglanesMMM

Re: Hudson's in Gardena - Not a recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 04/14/15 05:18PM »
Yeah I picked up a customers bike from there they wanted to charge him over a grand for parts and labor I was able to do it for half the price.

Offline Parc Ferme

« Reply #2 on: 04/14/15 05:28PM »
i can't believe i'm about to be this guy, but here goes...

this kind of story is exactly why i change my own oil (and do 90% of my own service)... i mean EXACTLY why...

in my opinion, it's way safer and FASTER to change your own oil.  i would estimate if i really really tried and focused super hard, i could change the oil on my 09 R6 (fairings on) in less then 20 minutes, maybe less then 15 (start the clock when i walk into the garage with a cold bike)

i can barely get suited up to take the bike to the shop in 15 mins.

anyway, glad you caught it before something major happened.  it might be worth your while to pick up a couple tools and do the changes yourself.  i can't imagine taking my bike to a shop for every required oil change... sounds super expensive and a major hassle
« Last Edit: 04/14/15 06:13PM by Parc Ferme »
hubcap diamond star halo girl lord flatbed ford beans heart fart

Offline The Evasive_1

• 998cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/14/15 06:20PM »
Actually, this is the reason I keep telling myself to do my own oil changes. I actually done it on my SV cause it's pretty easy. This was my CBR1000 where things are pretty tight to get to things. However, that's just an excuse. I could do it if I wanted to. I was lazy and there was a special on oil changes so I went in to have them do it.  I had never had the bike there before and I've bought stuff there but never had them really work on my bike.
« Last Edit: 04/14/15 06:22PM by The Evasive_1 »

Offline Stella

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Stella's Gallery
  • Feelin' pretty Sassssssy!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Kawi Ninja 250
« Reply #4 on: 04/14/15 07:54PM »
I say Yelp the hell out of them. The world needs to know they are penny wise and pound foolish, as well as dishonorable with customers. Heck, if you know an attorney, have them write up a quick letter on letterhead, demanding the return of your money. A good business would refund the entire amount you originally paid as well. They basically extorted you by demanding payment before returning your bike. That's some BS right there.

Offline FZ1_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FZ1_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FE 501
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #5 on: 04/14/15 08:05PM »
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline The Evasive_1

• 998cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/14/15 10:38PM »
@ Stella, I did write a bad review on Yelp. As for the money, it really isn't enough to go to a lawyer about. As I said, the money wasn't the biggest issue, it was the fact they wanted me to pay some type of fee to repair my bike that left there with a problem. Warranty on the part or not, they should have just taken care of it like any other shop, that warranties their work, would and have.

And do you know they had the audacity to try to get me to buy new tires from them before I came to pick the bike up? Yeah, it is about that time to get tires, but I would have felt like a double idiot had I paid one more red cent to those guys.

Offline venomenon83

« Reply #7 on: 04/14/15 11:25PM »
1. Never use K&N oil filter (stick with oem)
2. Change your own oil (money that you save on labor can go towards quality oil).

Can't really blame the shop for the whole experience though, if anything blame k&n. That oil filter are meant to fail no matter who installed it.

I know someone who installed k&n filter and had the same problem as yours. He documented of the leak (pics and vids), sent it to k&n and he got reimbursement for filter, oil, and rear tire.

from my understanding Hudson picked up your bike for free (correct?). I think they did their part to inspect for went wrong and you should thank'em for not charging you for those services.

If they decide to replace oil and filter for free than kudos to them cuz that's money straight out from their biz and if you don't mind me asking, how much did they try to charge you the second time? 

One thing about K&N oil filter,  they are trash,  don't buy'em....

Offline BCMC

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #9 on: 04/15/15 07:53AM »

They're just fine. K&Ns actually have the correct flow rate, unlike most car filters people try to use on bikes.

It's not indicative of any overall issue as I've never had a leak from a K&N oil filter myself. I use them exclusively due to the ease of removal.

Sounds like the shop didn't take the time to lube the o-ring prior.

Offline 22348(b)

• 125cc
  • 22348(b)'s Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 zx10r daily and kawasaki zx10r 2007 1/8 and 2007 zx10r 1/4
  • Years Riding: 3 years
« Reply #10 on: 04/15/15 07:59AM »
K and n isn't fine they have quality issues, only a matter of time before it fails. This is coming from the engine builder not me just passing it along. Have a nice day. :45:

Offline car-abuser

« Reply #11 on: 04/15/15 08:44AM »
K&N changed vendors, people have been reporting problems,  you can go with OE, or purolator pure one, I know many people, including myself, that use pure one on motorcycles, and have never had a problem, Im using OE at the moment because I got some for free ..

Offline Spirited Commuter

« Reply #12 on: 04/15/15 08:46AM »
2. Change your own oil (money that you save on labor can go towards quality oil).

Can't really blame the shop for the whole experience though, if anything blame k&n. That oil filter are meant to fail no matter who installed it.

I know someone who installed k&n filter and had the same problem as yours. He documented of the leak (pics and vids), sent it to k&n and he got reimbursement for filter, oil, and rear tire.

from my understanding Hudson picked up your bike for free (correct?). I think they did their part to inspect for went wrong and you should thank'em for not charging you for those services.

If they decide to replace oil and filter for free than kudos to them cuz that's money straight out from their biz and if you don't mind me asking, how much did they try to charge you the second time? 

One thing about K&N oil filter,  they are trash,  don't buy'em....

Sounds like the shop chose to use k&n over the OEM filter.  If the shop I take my bike to chooses to use aftermarket parts on my bike (that I don't approve of) and the aftermarket parts cause problems or damage, I expect the shop to provide free replacement and repair all the damage.  Part of the costing model for any competent business goes into yields/returned merchandise, they are not paying out of pocket, they account for these types of issues on all jobs that they work on.

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #13 on: 04/15/15 09:09AM »
K&N switched to the same company that makes Hi-Flo. They work well and I have never seen a problem with them (seen hundreds used on all sorts of different bikes).

Now I'm not sure on the letter of the law but I believe once you leave a shop their hands are clean. If you don't bring up a problem to them before signing for your vehicle and leaving then I'm not sure they are legally required to do squat. That being said, any reputable shop will acknowledge their mistakes and make things right even if it's a few bucks out of their pocket (I mean come on an oil change and maybe 20 minutes of actual labor?). There are some people looking to get free shit though and will intentionally fiddle with things after leaving the shop to try and cheat the shop. NOT SAYING THAT'S WHAT YOU DID! Just to be clear, just saying that the shops have to handle these things delicately.

TLDR: Sounds like the shop isn't willing to own up to a mistake on their part, spread the word so that everyone can take that word with a grain of salt as they choose shops to spend their dollar at.
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Rogue

« Reply #14 on: 04/15/15 09:37AM »

I totally disagree with you.  I've been using K&N air and oil filters for years.  They have NEVER failed.  I use it on my Honda VFR800 with 7,500 mile oil changer intervals.  No failures.  Also, how do we know the oil filter failed?  For all we know Hudson's claimed it failed when perhaps they just didn't tighten it correctly but went ahead and charged for the work to fix their mess?  If a bike shop can't put a fairing back correctly, then I wouldn't put it above them to fook up tightening an oil filter!  The fault is entirely on Hudson's.  Shops run like that should just close down as it does a huge disservice to those shops that actually do quality work.

I've had my share of bad shops/mechanics who can't do even the simplest work properly.  I once had a shop change my clutch fluid only to have it leak on my windshield.  Same shop installed my rear tire and then messed up my chain (I don't know how but they did).  I also saw another dealership install a new chain and sprockets on a customer's bike but they put a chain that was way too short for the bike.  Then they tried to convince the owner that was "normal"! Then they try to upsell you other shit so they can further fook up your bike.  Enough is enough!  Now I do ALL my service myself where I know it's done right, with tender loving care. 

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #15 on: 04/15/15 10:12AM »
In doing my own research, I was able to find a few instances of 2nd hand reported K&N filters leaking from the nut. In 2012. Nothing newer than 2012.

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #16 on: 04/15/15 10:40AM »
Hack 101
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Offline LBCR1

• Advisory Board member
  • OCM Sweeper
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • LBCR1's Gallery
  • Team Insomnia
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Red Fiat Yamaha R1- 05 CBR600rr race team
  • Years Riding: 5 years on dirt and street motorcycles
« Reply #17 on: 04/15/15 01:42PM »
so hudson installed an oil filter they know has issues and then wants to charge for fixing the issue.   if you are ok with how hudson handled it and he should be happy they didnt charge for picking up the bike. i got a new water heater i will sell you and when it breaks down in under a year for a known issue just call me and i will charge you to fix it.

you sound like you work for hudson. they were the ones who installed it they own the leak. they should of warned him about the issue with that filter and had him choose a different one or he would own the leak for wanting that k&n filter.

hudson should be glad he didnt wreck the bike and then get sued for the leak that caused the crash since they installed it.

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #18 on: 04/15/15 02:57PM »
I recall reading some first hand accounts about K&N filters having an issue, but that was a few years ago. I have used them on my Duc and so far have not suffered any of the issues, reported or currently claimed about them. This is not to say that ALL K&N filters are good but just a personal experience. That being said, I have since started using the Purolator Pure One filters on my VFRs based on the info I have read (most likely in the links below). I also read and seen photos of the Pure One Motorcycle specific version (MLxxx) vs the Automotive version (PLxxx) and the moto version is a lot more "cheaply" made.

I dug up these links that I thought might be of interest here.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html#Oil

and while were at it... https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
ďYou can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...Ē

Offline venomenon83

« Reply #19 on: 04/15/15 09:39PM »
so hudson installed an oil filter they know has issues and then wants to charge for fixing the issue.   if you are ok with how hudson handled it and he should be happy they didnt charge for picking up the bike. i got a new water heater i will sell you and when it breaks down in under a year for a known issue just call me and i will charge you to fix it.

you sound like you work for hudson. they were the ones who installed it they own the leak. they should of warned him about the issue with that filter and had him choose a different one or he would own the leak for wanting that k&n filter.

hudson should be glad he didnt wreck the bike and then get sued for the leak that caused the crash since they installed it.

NO, I  don't work for Hudson and dont put words on my mouth about them knowing the issues. However just like other said,  other've used K&N without problems what so ever, so I'm sure Hudson can use the same argument. 

It's not their product though (its K&N's) therefore they're not obligated to stand behind it.  They came and picked up the bike to see what the problem was and it was identified and they weren't going to charge him for labor (correct me if I'm wrong).

Like I said... (hint hint)
 "I know someone who installed k&n filter and had the same problem as yours. He documented of the leak (pics and vids), sent it to k&n and he got reimbursement for filter, oil, and rear tire".

All I'm saying is don't jump to fast on a conclusion and in this case there's other options to reclaim your loss.

« Last Edit: 04/15/15 09:42PM by venomenon83 »

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 63 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook