Topic: Buying a salvage bike - pros and cons  (Read 2925 times)

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
Buying a salvage bike - pros and cons
« on: 05/20/15 03:54PM »
I'm in the market for a new (to me) bike.  Every so often I see what appears to be a very nice looking bike with a salvage title.  Salvage titles have always scared me away, but then I hear stories of insurance companies totally a bike simply because it needs new bodywork.  I've never seriously considered buying a salvage-title bike, but I'm wondering if I should?

Has anyone here every bought a salvage title bike?  How was your experience?  What sort of inspection (if any) did you do before buying it?  Has anyone ever had Dr. John's check out a bike to make sure the frame and forks are straight?

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• I can't wheelie my 1000 :-( JK
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
  • I FIX BIKES - 714 798 4077
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many.
  • Years Riding: 9
Re: Buying a salvage bike - pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: 05/20/15 03:56PM »
I'm in the market for a new (to me) bike.  Every so often I see what appears to be a very nice looking bike with a salvage title.  Salvage titles have always scared me away, but then I hear stories of insurance companies totally a bike simply because it needs new bodywork.  I've never seriously considered buying a salvage-title bike, but I'm wondering if I should?

Has anyone here every bought a salvage title bike?  How was your experience?  What sort of inspection (if any) did you do before buying it?  Has anyone ever had Dr. John's check out a bike to make sure the frame and forks are straight?

I own 3 salvage bikes and I have not had any issues with either. In fact one of the bikes was a clean title before I got into a minor collision where the bike didnt even touch the ground. It was salvaged due to a few scratches on the frame.

Ive seen clean title bikes that were wrecked and rebuilt and sold. I would be more concerned about that.

Offline Cass-anova

« Reply #2 on: 05/20/15 06:16PM »
Having owned a few salvaged bikes, the main thing to look out for is frame damage. Check the frame in daylight for any dents or painting over. During the test-ride, take your hands off the bars and make sure it tracks straight. If it veers to one side, the frame or forks may be bent.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #3 on: 05/20/15 06:23PM »
As mentioned, check the frame and forks very closely.  Ask a lot of questions.  I've had good luck so far with the Ninja...

Unfortunately, you won't be able to fully insure it like you can a non-salvage vehicle.  State Farm wouldn't do comprehensive.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #4 on: 05/20/15 08:37PM »
My Triumph was salvaged and I was only going 20 mph when I went down.  The main damage was to the stator cover, plastic parts, and engine side cover.  The frame was not tweaked nor did the forks take any damage.   As mentioned, the key is to look over the bike thoroughly, and have a friend watch as you ride away or follow you to make sure it tracks straight that a test ride may not reveal.   
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline 22348(b)

• 125cc
  • 22348(b)'s Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 zx10r daily and kawasaki zx10r 2007 1/8 and 2007 zx10r 1/4
  • Years Riding: 3 years
« Reply #5 on: 05/20/15 08:56PM »
Just bought one a couple of days ago! They are great if you like me a younger kid who doesn't want to pay hefty insurance rates, as others have stated it can't be insured fully but they also can't charge you like they would normally and you usually don't buy a salvaged bike for full price. All in all I'm happier than having my clean title bike and paying double the rates.

Offline REPSOL

• 998cc
  • REPSOL's Gallery
  • Robert
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 HONDA REPSOL
  • Years Riding: Too Many
« Reply #6 on: 05/21/15 05:22AM »
Can take a very long  :2: time to re-sell the  :17:

When that time comes.......................

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
« Reply #7 on: 05/21/15 10:36AM »
I have bought and sold two very nice motorcycles that i had fully insured. No problems. You buy them cheaper and sell them cheaper. Have to be picky choosing them. Is it a pampered on that fell down in the driveway and put a ding in the frame spar? Or some wanna be stunters trash heap. Repairs done with love for the bike or a quick mask job to sell it to some hapless joe? If its the bike you want in the condition you want buy it. My oppinion only.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F
02 YZ250F
2000 CR125R
01 WR250F

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #8 on: 05/21/15 07:56PM »
All good points, thanks. 

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #9 on: 05/21/15 08:28PM »
Had one. No problems.  I crashed it a bunch more before selling it :)
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #10 on: 05/22/15 06:59AM »
Nice old kawasaki in pic on left .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 51 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook