Topic: Accident at GMR, July 12, around 8:30  (Read 6766 times)

Offline slipgatecentral

Accident at GMR, July 12, around 8:30
« on: 07/12/15 09:19AM »
Just couple minutes from Glendora
Looks like a head on with sedan, dark grey yamaha r1, followed by brand new 1299 panigale.
Yamaha rider is hurt but conscious, other one is fine.
Damn, watching all those crash vids is one thing,,but seiing it in person is gut wrenching.
Rider being airlifted

Offline BCMC

Re: Accident at GMR, July 12, around 8:30
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/15 11:41AM »
Live by the sword, die by the sword.  When will these types realize there's a time and place to ride like Rossi?  Street riding requires leaving more margin for error to account for autos on your favorite canyon road.

It's becoming too regular an occurrence.  My apologies, if that sounds too harsh.

Offline HeyNow

« Reply #2 on: 07/12/15 12:07PM »
Unless you know details of the accident, wouldn't it make sense to withhold judgment until you do ? 'These types' may or may not have been at fault.

Offline BCMC

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/15 12:33PM »
Unless you know details of the accident, wouldn't it make sense to withhold judgment until you do ? 'These types' may or may not have been at fault.

Whether or not the bikers involved created their own problems, the fact remains: There's a time and a place for everything (aggressive riding). I was generalizing. I wasn't specifically referring to the bikers involved, hence my term "these types." As I said, it's prudent to ride with a margin of safety to make up for other idiot drivers OR bikers.. Take my advice, or don't. Has nothing to do with making judgements.

Offline slipgatecentral

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/15 01:07PM »
According to panigale rider, they were doing their 3rd run down GMR. When they were going through right hand blind turn, woman in silver sedan came around way over double yellow. R1 hit her head on, bike was pushed back where second rider hit it in the tank, breaking front fork.
She has a little girl in back seat, apparently scared and crying.

Man that was hard to watch..Stayed there to observe ER doing their stuff, until they cleared the road.

« Last Edit: 07/12/15 01:31PM by slipgatecentral »

Offline Bugsy_Clarkdale

« Reply #5 on: 07/12/15 02:19PM »
Damn.....

Offline bkrochman

• 998cc
  • bkrochman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT - BMW R69 w/Ural S/C - Triumph Tiger - Kawasaki Versys - 73 Vespa 150 Super
  • Years Riding: Over 40 and not counting anymore
« Reply #6 on: 07/12/15 03:54PM »
Always sad. I hope everyone recovers.

A reminder to give myself that extra margin for error. It may not be enough in some cases, but it will be in most.

I remember coming around a blind turn and had a car doing a three point U-turn just on the exit... talk about a "yikes" moment! I always think about that when riding with limited visibility from any cause and adjust speed and lane position accordingly. Served me well for many decades since. Ride safe! Ride longer!

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #7 on: 07/12/15 05:06PM »
This hits a little close to home as GMR is my favorite canyon road.  It was mentioned this was their third run, and given the early hour, they knew the surface was clean but one can never anticipate the moves of reckless or distracted cagers/riders.  Yes one should leave a magin for error, but who knows if there was any room to get around the hazard? 

I think I'll be taking the dual sport on the trails at least til the summer's over where hazards are minimal.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline dcam

• 125cc
  • dcam's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ducati 1199, KTM EXC 500, Multistrada 1200S, HD VRSCDX, YZF-R6
  • Years Riding: 10+ years
« Reply #8 on: 07/12/15 05:16PM »
Hope both riders recover.....any update on their condition?

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #9 on: 07/12/15 06:53PM »
That ish is gut wrenching...   Sorry you had to see it, Vadim.

Just spent the day working with a group of riders and that scenario came up.  How to avoid it in particular...  Hoping the rider will be okay.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Rogue

« Reply #10 on: 07/12/15 07:05PM »
That is very sad.

You can't really "avoid" such circumstances because you never know when it will come.

What you CAN do is limit your exposure to the probability of a mishap.  The first thing is to leave a margin for error by....wait for it...slowing down.  I know....I know!  We ride sport bikes and who wants to ride these things slow right?  I'm as guilty as the next guy.

The next thing you can do is to not keep repeating the same ride on THE SAME day.  On any given weekend these SoCal roads are chock full of sport bikers and Ricky Racers (I'm one of them).  Most are good riders.  But all you need is one rider who didn't listen to reason or thought his skills are high enough for the speeds.  Or maybe a good rider has a lapse in judgment and runs wide. We've seen the videos.  So don't keep riding up and down as if you're doing "laps" because the probability of encountering THAT GUY goes up quite a bit more if you do. 

Finally, you can just quit riding!  But where's the fun in that?    ;)

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07/12/15 07:57PM »
You can't really "avoid" such circumstances because you never know when it will come.

I could not disagree more.  I've encountered that same circumstance a number of times on GMR/GRR and yet I sit here and type this having avoided the head-on that each offered.  And I practically lived on GMR during the mid to late eighties through the mid-nineties.  I was there almost every weekend.

Learning means absolutely nothing to the vast majority of motorcycle owners.  I'm continually amazed...  Horsepower and speed continue to sell motorcycles.

Google "delayed apex line David Hough". 

Or don't.

Ride on,

J~
« Last Edit: 07/12/15 08:00PM by Snapshot »
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #12 on: 07/12/15 08:26PM »
You can blame the riders all day long but assuming they were riding toward the camera position. They were either hugging the white line dragging knee or at least trying and the car was way over the line and unless they were going real slow 25 mph they were going to get hit. On the other hand they could have been doing as we are told and near the outside of the lane delaying the apex as long as possible so they could see the turn better, the car went wide and hit them again going real slow may have helped but no guarantee of that. At 8:30 in the morning traffic would be light and there crime was being on the mountain not what or how they were traveling. Get out and enjoy life or lock your self in your house make pancakes then sleep in your hammock all day. For me as soon as my body can tolerate it I'll be on GMR in the morning LIVING life the best way I know how, on two wheals with shit eating grin on my face :17:  :51:   

Jeff, was just listening to a interview of David Hough this morning he suggested his first book was the one to read. A link to read it online. https://books.google.com/books?id=fe8KBgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=David+Hough&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yy6jVbPPBcK0oQSv6pf4Bw&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=David%20Hough&f=false
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Rogue

« Reply #13 on: 07/12/15 08:48PM »
Get out and enjoy life or lock your self in your house make pancakes then sleep in your hammock all day.

I think the major part of the problem we have is that we live in Socal where there are millions of people.  On any given weekend, there are probably thousands of riders and even more drivers out and about, sharing the roads with us.  Multiply that by another 2x or 3x during the summer months.

Wouldn't it be nice to wake up in the morning at 9AM, enjoy those pancakes, sausages, and coffee, then head out in the middle of the day and encounter only a handful of cars?  Yeah.  That's the dream I'd like to live.  I'm thinking retiring in the Central Coast of California would do the trick.  Remember how empty those roads where?  And that was on a Saturday!  Now if I can only figure out how to make money AND live that life over there.  That's the hard part.   :'(

Offline Rabbit

• 749cc
  • Rabbit's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6-R; 2001 Honda F4i
  • Years Riding: 8
« Reply #14 on: 07/12/15 08:51PM »
More pictures from the LA County Sheriff Facebook page.

"If it's your time, it's your time. Doesn't matter if you were riding a motorcycle or taking out the trash. Embrace life, it's futile trying to avoid the inevitable." -butterthegreat

Team Insomnia - December/2011.

2007 Yamaha R6-R / 2001 Honda F4i / 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0L

Offline GP

« Reply #15 on: 07/12/15 09:34PM »
Dang! was thinking of going up there today too

Offline bkrochman

• 998cc
  • bkrochman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT - BMW R69 w/Ural S/C - Triumph Tiger - Kawasaki Versys - 73 Vespa 150 Super
  • Years Riding: Over 40 and not counting anymore
« Reply #16 on: 07/12/15 10:32PM »
I think the major part of the problem we have is that we live in Socal where there are millions of people.

Always a part of the calculation. To me there is nothing wrong with cruising through a blind turn at 25MPH or less. I have friends that race. Not my cup of tea. I enjoy the outdoors, the vistas and the occasional fun twisty. As I said, you can't avoid everything in life, but you can improve your odds if you want to.

Ride safe... ride Longer!

Offline Klaus

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Klaus's Gallery
  • I fix problems.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too Many
  • Years Riding: Too Many
« Reply #17 on: 07/13/15 03:38AM »
First of All: Shame on the typical victim-blaming going on here. How dare those riders be on the correct side of the road and have a car driving in the wrong lane hit them head on in a blind corner! Shame on them! Comedians have even mocked almost this exact situation: "Why did you stop at that red light at let me rear-end you doing 80?!?" 

Thanks for sharing, slipgate.  What you experienced was a hard event to witness and be a part of.  I'm glad you weren't one of the bikes on the ground.

thepretender really summed my response up curtly; even with the typical I-told-you-so "slow it down, Ricky Racer" warning, this accident would have happened; wrong place, wrong time.  The riders involved in the accident were on their third round and had also scouted the road for debris, but they can't plan for a driver on the wrong side of the road in a blind turn.

Rogue brought up a valid statistical point, Snapshot.  The law of large numbers comes into play here.  Are there even any Orange Groves left in Orange County?  Driving through them wasn't as crowded, either.

I went to GMR at ~1300 and saw the dirt soaking up the oil. I'm glad that I scouted the route on the way up and noted the dirt patch. If I was coming from Azusa I would have likely lost it coming around the corner.  As you're gliding around the blind carousel down the hill (15-35mph turn), there's a huge risk of washing out on that dirt... Repairs are rare on the road so that turn will claim victim to other motorcyclists within the week...

I can't wait for the track guys to manipulate this opportunity to shower us with their divine knowledge and barrage us with the "keep it to the track! No possible way you'll get hurt there! Be sure to join my corporation's track day for the best ____" speech.
« Last Edit: 07/13/15 03:47AM by Klaus »
Efficiency is beauty.  Patterns rule the world.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07/13/15 05:03AM »
Klaus,

What you see as victim blaming on my part (as well as on BCMC's) is simply the expression of our frustration.  We both know that there are idiot cagers on the road and we both work hard to avoid getting nailed by them.  It's difficult for us to understand why others don't.  You could say that we're as much victims of our experience as anyone is. 

I still remember the screams from the various people whose incidents I've witnessed.  They're not happy making.

Ride on,

J~

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline REPSOL

• 998cc
  • REPSOL's Gallery
  • Robert
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 HONDA REPSOL
  • Years Riding: Too Many
« Reply #19 on: 07/13/15 06:30AM »
Klaus,

The picture alone is difficult to view  :5:.

As was my case when I hit the asphalt  :17: at 65 MPH...................A woman driver @ fault.

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 65 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook