Topic: 2015 Repsol sp  (Read 1663 times)

Offline ionlion

• When the power of love over comes the love of power we will have peace.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • ionlion's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Years Riding: 1
2015 Repsol sp
« on: 10/01/15 10:33AM »
Wondering if anyone here has one, I been eyeing one but would like feedback from someone who actually rides it. Pros and cons on the features it comes with, what its missing.

Ride safe

Rogue

Re: 2015 Repsol sp
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/15 10:50AM »
Motorcycle USA did a back to back test on the CBR1000SP Repsol replica, versus its current peers, R1, S1000RR, GSXR1000, Aprilia RSV4.

I don't have their website address right now but you can easily google it.  They have the video reviews too and they tested it in the real world of SoCal's twisties and freeways.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #2 on: 10/01/15 01:35PM »
I was looking thoroughly at my current bike and the other liter bikes last year.  I like the CBR as an unassisted, great all-around bike, but its lack of features, even featuring ABS as an option, makes it more of an emotional choice.  And when you consider the SP, which costs the same as an S1K, it's hard to justify the extra expense.  Yes the Repsol scheme is cool (and the ability to choose between Marquez and Pedrosa numbers is a MotoGP fanboy's dream), the Ohlins bits are nice, but you are down 40 hp compared to the competition, and there's no tech bits like a quick-shifter or traction control, that makes it a tough sell.  Buy it if you're looking for a pure riding experience, but good luck finding a dealer that will let you test ride one.
« Last Edit: 10/01/15 01:37PM by Throttle Chopper »
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline paul13131313

• 599cc
  • paul13131313's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Fury/2015 Repsol SP
  • Years Riding: 13 years
« Reply #3 on: 10/02/15 05:35AM »
Wondering if anyone here has one, I been eyeing one but would like feedback from someone who actually rides it. Pros and cons on the features it comes with, what its missing.

Ride safe
It's missing nothing. It's a road scalpel,actually designed for track days.It has a steering damper and slipper clutch which is all I need!
It has traction control also:the throttles connected to the rear tire. With the blueprinted engine,it easily spins up! see below for how I know.

My 2009 Repsol and 2012 Tricolor were very sharp road knives with suspensions professionally adjusted,

Back in the Day,my 1975 Honda Goldwing would zoom to 115 mph but,in the first sweeper,yes at a 115,if you let off the gas,the rear end would wag back and forth until you got back into the throttle.
If you hit a bump in said sweeper,bike would bob up and down on the suspension,You know,springs up front and 5 ramp click preload on shocks at rear.
And I'm talking fearless riding on Bias Ply tires!

I lust for the Aprilia but need my license and am actually waiting for one with an electronics off switch so I can enjoy it like the Repsol!

I understand the electronics,I just don't need to save hundredth of a second on the street and I would still be looking for how to disable the electronics on the Aprilia if I was fortunate enough to have a camper truck with tools,spare tires and parts when taking it to the track.

I appreciate the SP for what it is and actually bought it to replace the 2009 Repsol that a cage totaled. I turned down my dealers offer to order the 2014 SP for me. The 2015 was exactly what I was looking for and I highly recommend it. It's not the fastest,have the most HP or complete electronics setup.
It's a motorcycle you ride and enjoy the pure ridability of it. And yes, the extra cost is totally worth it!

Rogue

« Reply #4 on: 10/02/15 08:21AM »
When I read about professional testers describe how they can spin up the rear with control out of corner exits, jam on the brakes without fear of lock up, go WOT without looping the bike, hit rain mode if the roads are slick, and turn down the damping for a cushy highway ride, it all sounds wonderful to me, especially if I was on board a very high horsepower bike.

My only experience with a very high horsepower bike was my Hayabusa with a mere 160 rwhp.  Back then it was a beast.  I've seen videos of track riders spinning up its rear wheel on corner exits too.  I wish I had the skill and the balls to do that on that bike!

But if I were really honest with myself and assess by riding skills and habits, 99% of the time I don't really ride that way.  I realized long ago that what's really important to me from a performance standpoint is great handling in a variety of road conditions, engine refinement with an ultra-smooth throttle response, powerful brakes with great feel, and about 100-120 rwhp.  Never really used or needed more than that.  So I spared myself the seemingly endless decision tree of which bike has the best of the best and the latest and greatest, and just picked the bike that made the most sense and looked the best for my riding habits.  Made it so much easier to choose.  Everyone is different though so choose what really tugs at your heart, which may not be what the magazines say is the best.  You just have to be 100% honest with yourself. 

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #5 on: 10/02/15 11:13AM »
I was looking thoroughly at my current bike and the other liter bikes last year.  I like the CBR as an unassisted, great all-around bike, but its lack of features, even featuring ABS as an option, makes it more of an emotional choice.  And when you consider the SP, which costs the same as an S1K, it's hard to justify the extra expense.  Yes the Repsol scheme is cool (and the ability to choose between Marquez and Pedrosa numbers is a MotoGP fanboy's dream), the Ohlins bits are nice, but you are down 40 hp compared to the competition, and there's no tech bits like a quick-shifter or traction control, that makes it a tough sell.  Buy it if you're looking for a pure riding experience, but good luck finding a dealer that will let you test ride one.
The 40 hp is a stretch, more like 20-25 but were talking peak power. In the normal every day rev range the Honda's produce more torque. That being said, for the price  of the SP I don't think I would choose it over the BMW.  I'm not a big fan of electronics either but I like the way the S1000RR feels, I'm 5,9 and the dimensions are almost spot on to my cbr600rr.  When I first rode an S1000RR if felt like a really stiff CBR600RR, as soon as I cracked the throttle above 8k I realized why that thing feels so stiff when going slow, I'm convinced the back of my eyes know what my brain feels like. No bike I have ever ridden pulls like the BMW above 10k at WOT, down right frightening. Here are two links to great reviews.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/06/article/2015-superbike-shootout-x-track/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V4kMSXKn9g

Offline paul13131313

• 599cc
  • paul13131313's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/02/15 05:42PM »
I especially like exiting turns on the rear tire!

Offline paul13131313

• 599cc
  • paul13131313's Gallery
    • View Profile

Offline boredfast

• 998cc
  • boredfast's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1978 Yamaha SR500, 2008 CBR1000RR
« Reply #8 on: 10/05/15 06:34AM »
Though I have a dedicated 08 trackbike with a bunch of goodies, would also probably be a crapshoot between the S1kRR & new R1 for the price.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 42 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook