Topic: License Plate Fix it Ticket - Dealer Plates  (Read 5238 times)

Offline CHEVYGUYChvy

• 125cc
  • CHEVYGUYChvy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 SV650(sold) 09 GSX-R 750(sold) 08 KLR650(sold) 05 ZX-6R(sold) 05 Vstrom 650(sold) '15 FZ-09
License Plate Fix it Ticket - Dealer Plates
« on: 11/10/15 01:49PM »
I was commuting to work today when I was pulled over by a CHP officer, this happened in SD county in the fastrak lane(moto's are fee). I was issued a fix-it ticket for not having a license plate. The thing is I just bought this bike, new, under a month ago and still have the dealer plates on it. I am just waiting on the dealer/DMV to process and send me my plates. I was driving legally, spoke to the officer in a respectable manner and gave him my temp. registration papers proving I bought the bike last month.

Now I have to get this ticket signed off and pay a small fee but it just doesn't feel right. Is there anything I can do about this or is my only option to bend over and take it?
« Last Edit: 11/10/15 08:18PM by CHEVYGUYChvy »

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
Re: License Plate Fix it Ticket - Dealer Plates
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/15 02:31PM »
I'm surprised that the cop gave you a ticket when it's obvious you wouldn't have a plate yet.  I guess it shouldn't though as we know they are there for revenue generation and accident clean up.  /end rant.

Anyway, you should do the Trial by Declaration thing, explain your situation and include a copy of your registration.  Assuming the judge or whatever clerk that signs off on that stuff isn't a jerk then they should just dismiss it.  If not, you could go to court or just wait till you get your plate and pay your extortion tax.
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline Punisher

• 749cc
  • Punisher's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 gsxr750, 2012 Triumph street triple 675, 2006 drz400, 2008 crf450r, Schwinn stingray
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/15 03:02PM »
That officer was a $&$#&%!

That ticket should not have been written.  Please make an example of this rookie and fight it.  He deserves a written reprimand from his C.O. at minimum.  Suspension without pay would be more appropriate.

Offline 1fastrider

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/15 03:37PM »
I like Punisher's enthusiasm but really it's a numbers game to them.  More tickets they write, more chance people will just suck it up and pay the fine.  Nothing will happen to that cop even if you submit a complaint.

Offline CHEVYGUYChvy

• 125cc
  • CHEVYGUYChvy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 SV650(sold) 09 GSX-R 750(sold) 08 KLR650(sold) 05 ZX-6R(sold) 05 Vstrom 650(sold) '15 FZ-09
« Reply #4 on: 11/10/15 04:12PM »
Yup, I know that its just a quick stop at the local CHP station and $25 fee but it bothers me that sh*t like this even happens.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #5 on: 11/10/15 05:18PM »
You can fight it, but suddenly that $25 fix-it ticket can turn into a $300 ticket (when you factor in paying bail and court fees) for a fine that will have no impact on your insurance premiums, nor will you amass any points on your driving record.  That's too much hassle just to prove you're right.  Of course you could do a TBD, but you will still have to do pay the bail and have your money sitting while you wait 2-6 weeks for a decision.  Unfortunately, this is a cost vs. benefit decision.  How much is your time worth?  :26:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline CHEVYGUYChvy

• 125cc
  • CHEVYGUYChvy's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/10/15 05:40PM »
That is true and definitely puts things into perspective. With this logic though can't they just sit outside a dealership and hand out fixit tickets left and right for new vehicles leaving the lot?

Offline FlyingScotsman

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FlyingScotsman's Gallery
  • Auto Club Speeway 29Aug
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 R1 Blue
  • Years Riding: 20 YEARS
« Reply #7 on: 11/10/15 06:09PM »
I remember the dealer applying the temporary reg on my windscreen ala as they do with autos. If the dealer didn't apply it seems to me they should pay. If you haven't received your plates then it's a bogus ticket. (unless you were originally stopped for something else  :26:  )

:42: :42: :42:

Offline Stella

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Stella's Gallery
  • Feelin' pretty Sassssssy!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Kawi Ninja 250
« Reply #8 on: 11/10/15 07:34PM »
I bought my car in early July and just finally got my plates a couple of weeks ago. There is no way the court can hold you liable for the slow progress of the dealer submitting paperwork and/or the DMV being incompetent bozos who take forever to get anything sent out. Definitely fight it.

You might try calling the desk sergeant at the local Chippie office to express your confusion as to why you would receive such a ticket. It's possible, maybe, that they could retract the ticket because it's so stupid and unreasonable. Worth a shot, and maybe you'll save the next guy from getting a bogus ticket. If that doesn't work, do the TBD. Include photocopies showing date of purchase and, if you can find it, something showing that the dealership is responsible for submission of sale info to the DMV. It's a simple enough dismissal, imo. But either way, you'll have to invest a little time to defend the principle of the thing!

Offline 1fastrider

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
« Reply #9 on: 11/10/15 08:03PM »
If there's a local chp office that might be worth it but I'd bet a shiny nickel they tell you to explain it to the judge :)
The ticket ifs for a small amount so do the TBD and see what happens.  Worst case you have to go to court.  I'd still file a complaint on that jerk who gave the ticket just to make myself feel better :)

Scott

« Reply #10 on: 11/11/15 12:16AM »
I know how you feel. I got a bs ticket a few months back. It's enraging. I would either pay it or grab all your paperwork (including the purchase contract!) and go straight to the court and get it handled and done with. I did the Trail By Declaration thing for my bogus ticket, and you want to know what's worse than getting a bogus ticket? Finding out you went through all the bs of doing a TBD and losing that...THEN STILL HAVING TO GO TO COURT!!! It takes weeks to get the notice back, which is kinda torture in itself, plus all the time and energy you put into doing the TBD, it sucks. On something so obvious as this, just go down to the court and get it over with. You'll be in and out by 10:00 am and be done with it. Plead not guilty and in the same breathe say, "I just bought the bike new! Here's the purchase contract, my temp registration I showed the officer at the time, Your Honor." And be done with it.

Offline FZ1_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FZ1_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FE 501
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #11 on: 11/11/15 07:32AM »
Personally, any time I have a "discussion" with a traffic officer (revenue generation team lead) which only results in a small fee and a quick sign off I'm delighted.  Let's face it, you don't deserve the paper plate ticket, but you were probably speeding at least 10 times that day, and we all have to do our part to support society.  If you value your personal time then taking pictures and filing TBD just raises the amount of your fine.   Just be glad he didn't write you for those wheelies you were doing earlier, pay that fine, and move on with your life :)

:17: :17: :17:
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline 1fastrider

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
« Reply #12 on: 11/11/15 08:02AM »
I think we should fight corruption in all its forms whether state sanctioned or otherwise.  If Chris wants to just roll over and take it that's his choice

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #13 on: 11/11/15 08:53AM »
The fees were paid  to road ride the bike when purchased . The cop can check it easy .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Offline CHEVYGUYChvy

• 125cc
  • CHEVYGUYChvy's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11/11/15 10:08AM »
On my way home from work yesterday I had a little chat with another CHP officer whom I believe is operating out of the same office as the ticketing officer. I let him know of my situation and he seemed as confused as I am about why I received the fix it ticket. He advised me to call the CHP office and explain my situation.

Honestly I think the dealer plates was an "excuse" to pull me over in hopes of nicking me for something else (no license, no insurance etc....) only to find out I am fully road legal. For anybody suggesting I was speeding or the like and the LEO gave me a "break" on the ticket, that is simply not true. I was riding with the speed of traffic maybe even a bit slower.

I will keep you all posted for those who want to know the outcome.

Thanks.

Offline 1fastrider

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
« Reply #15 on: 11/11/15 10:32AM »
Please do update after you talk to the people at the chp office

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #16 on: 11/11/15 10:39AM »
On my way home from work yesterday I had a little chat with another CHP officer whom I believe is operating out of the same office as the ticketing officer. I let him know of my situation and he seemed as confused as I am about why I received the fix it ticket. He advised me to call the CHP office and explain my situation.

Honestly I think the dealer plates was an "excuse" to pull me over in hopes of nicking me for something else (no license, no insurance etc....) only to find out I am fully road legal. For anybody suggesting I was speeding or the like and the LEO gave me a "break" on the ticket, that is simply not true. I was riding with the speed of traffic maybe even a bit slower.

I will keep you all posted for those who want to know the outcome.

Thanks.
Well at least another officer sees the mistake. Good luck, hope it gets resolved in your favor.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline CHEVYGUYChvy

• 125cc
  • CHEVYGUYChvy's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11/20/15 10:48PM »
Spoke to a SGT. who spoke to the ticketing officer. He let me know the ticket has been dismissed.

Scott

« Reply #18 on: 11/21/15 12:55AM »
Spoke to a SGT. who spoke to the ticketing officer. He let me know the ticket has been dismissed.

Congrats man!  :7: Way cool

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #19 on: 11/21/15 10:20AM »

Yes, justice without setting foot into a courtroom!  Glad somebody has some common sense. 

Oh, and in cases like these, ask for the "watch commander" whom typically oversees the patrol officers, or on many cities, you can even submit a complaint online, and may actually get a call-back.
Every day is ride to work day!

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 64 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook