Topic: The Honda Africa Twin Lineage: Cool Video!  (Read 2691 times)

Rogue

The Honda Africa Twin Lineage: Cool Video!
« on: 11/26/15 10:05AM »
Check out the new Cycle World video of the Africa Twin's lineage.  Those desert scenery riding looks really cool.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/11/24/2016-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-adventure-motorcycle-historical-video/

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
Re: The Honda Africa Twin Lineage: Cool Video!
« Reply #1 on: 12/22/15 09:26AM »
Motorcyclist Magazine just gave the AT a spin in So. Africa and the results were good!

http://tinyurl.com/hntzxnn
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #2 on: 12/22/15 09:30AM »
OOTV Price came out $12,999.00  :3: have you made a deposit ?  :19:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #3 on: 12/22/15 09:56AM »
OOTV Price came out $12,999.00  :3: have you made a deposit ?  :19:
Not yet, still have to plan out the vehicle situation. I can only fit so many vehicles in my garage and only have so much leeway with the wife! Probably have to wait until after we get the hardwood floors put in!
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #4 on: 12/22/15 10:02AM »
Good idea it will look great in the center of your living room.  ;D the new floor will be a great display area. :43:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #5 on: 12/22/15 10:19AM »
Good idea it will look great in the center of your living room.  ;D the new floor will be a great display area. :43:
:1:
Winner! Especially once it's been out in the mud and dust and has that special "patina" to it!

:43:

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: *bikeless*
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #6 on: 12/22/15 02:12PM »
That review reads like a paid a Honda advertisement. I like the part where they say the power is below the status quo at 94 hp the KTM makes 150 but the Honda has enough to get it done. What a load of crap
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Rogue

« Reply #7 on: 12/22/15 04:11PM »
It reads like a “paid” by Honda review because it’s mostly positive?

Or maybe the bike is just designed well and therefore hard to fault during that particular test ride? 

It seems to me that Honda wants the AT to be much closer to the original, and much more of a trail bike rather than an Adventure Tourer mostly ridden on smooth pavement.  Kind of like the Yamaha Tenere but lighter and easier to handle by average sized riders.  Because let’s face it, the Adventure Tourers that the major manufacturers are peddling today are huge monstrosities!  The KTM’s and the Ducati’s are all closing in on the 1200cc’s so of course they will make more power.  But for off road trail riding, what you really want is lower gears, very smooth throttle response, and torque.  94 hp is plenty for this type of bike.  If one wants 150 hp then BMW makes the S1000R derived “Adventure Bike”, if you can call it that. 

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #8 on: 12/22/15 06:23PM »
Who gives a rat's about the horsepower?  It's torque that does the work.  If there's enough of that for it to ride well, what difference does it make?  I never have understood the need for the numbers...

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Scott

« Reply #9 on: 12/22/15 06:23PM »
That review reads like a paid a Honda advertisement. I like the part where they say the power is below the status quo at 94 hp the KTM makes 150 but the Honda has enough to get it done. What a load of crap

I tend to believe that every journalist that attends these, "Let us fly you to some exotic location for a few days so you can review our new bike," events tend to write on the "nicer" side for the bike tested. Let's be honest, I'm sure Honda (or any other manufacture throwing an event like this) didn't invite the writer that HATES HONDA in every article. So, real world common sense applied, expect every reviewer that attended the South Africa (business class accommodations) demo to write an article that's going to be "a little friendlier" than harsh.

With that said, if you read between the lines on both the links above, there's some very important slams against the bike: steering issues on the pavement and dirt, lack of real power, etc. Personnally, I don't call a "dirt test" down a road I would drive my Camaro down a real dirt test (watch the video on the second link). I was left with the impression this bike is... bla, average, adequate... you know... something that fits in with the majority of Honda's current line-up. I'm not really against the bike, just not really impressed or eager to own one personnally.

With that said, I'm starting to think the XR650L might be just what I need! lol

mbstr

« Reply #10 on: 12/22/15 07:04PM »
Fugly looks cramped ad shitty suspension (For a decent trail) and at a dry weight of 489lbs good luck picking it up by yourself after a bobble in the dirt :6:

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/22/15 07:39PM »

With that said, if you read between the lines on both the links above, there's some very important slams against the bike: steering

:31: :31: :31: :31:

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12/22/15 09:16PM »
Yet another article.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/ride-review-the-2016-honda-africa-twin-is-exactly-what-1748124826

Wow, this guy really loves the bike. But better than xr 650 in the dirt?

Rogue

« Reply #14 on: 12/23/15 08:17AM »
With that said, if you read between the lines on both the links above, there's some very important slams against the bike: steering issues on the pavement and dirt, lack of real power, etc. Personnally, I don't call a "dirt test" down a road I would drive my Camaro down a real dirt test (watch the video on the second link). I was left with the impression this bike is... bla, average, adequate... you know... something that fits in with the majority of Honda's current line-up. I'm not really against the bike, just not really impressed or eager to own one personnally.

Wait, you said issues are lack of "real" power yet you want an XR650?  LOL!

I'm messing with you Scott.  The XR650L has a seat height of 35" I believe, the highest of all the DS bikes from the Japanese makers.  From a recent ride review I read (I know....paid by Honda, et all), it's a better dirt bike that the KLR650 and the DR650.  The KLR is a better street bike.  All of them most likely are in the 50 rwhp range, but lots of low end torque.  My Yamaha XT550 had tons of low end torque & smooth "carburation", which made it really easy to ride at slow speeds.  Albeit I never took it beyond easy dirt trails.  The interesting thing was, I also rode that bike on the freeway and I don't remember feeling the bike needed more power.  But I don't remember trying to do 90 on it either.  The windblast and the vibrations put a stop to that.  I think it probably topped out at 85 anyway.  That's kind of why I'm perplexed by the power comments.  It's kind of like a Triumph Tiger 800 or a BMW F800GS.  You don't buy those bikes so you can cruise at 90+ on the freeways!

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12/23/15 10:11AM »
Its going to be interesting to see how this bike is received; I wonder how many people will actually use it in the dirt and if it will develop a following complete with aftermarket support? 

Scott

« Reply #16 on: 12/23/15 10:18AM »
I read an article that rated them this way: Best on Street went KLR, DR XR. Best on Dirt went XR, DR, KLR. I don't know the numbers for the KLR and DR, but the XR has 38hp! It weighs in the 300lbs range though (forget the exact number). I might be completely wrong, but I think bikes like this African Twin, the Tiger and GS that all weigh in around that 500lbs range would be wisely purchased if fire roads are your main dirt intent. The last link you posted above, the author seemed to really love the bike, even in "the rock and sand" section. But I have to agree with Chris and be a little leery when he says he likes a 500lbs bike better than the XR for those conditions. With that said, we haven't ridden the African Twin so we are only speculating about the bike. He maybe right, it maybe that great of a bike.

I think if someone is looking to tour with a bike loaded up for some light camping, the African Twin, Tiger and GS800 are definitely worth taking a strong look at. Their price points, weight, fuel mileage and road worthiness make them all my first choices for that kind of duty (assuming all the info with regards to the African Twin obviously). With that said, I know there's big fans of the bigger Kaw, Yamaha and Suzuki models in that same category and same price points (all bigger CC's); I've just never ridden them. I think it really comes down to what brand you like better (I love Triumph, and accordingly, I like the Tiger over all the others in that category).

As for myself, think I've decided I want a dirt orientated bike that can do some road, not a road orientated bike that can do some dirt. Give me light weight and big suspension travel so I can jump over a house while doing backflips! :27: (just because I'm old and a noob to dirt doesn't mean I'm not hardcore!)

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12/23/15 10:49AM »
Best on Dirt went XR, DR, KLR

Sounds about right.  I don't know about the XR, but if you buy a DR the development work has already been done.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

mbstr

« Reply #18 on: 12/23/15 08:55PM »
@ Scott, If youd like to take my bike for a spin lets meet at cooks for lunch soon ;)

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #19 on: 12/23/15 09:46PM »
it's gonna be boring...too heavy to be much more fun off-road than any adv style bike

but it *does* look more capable off-road than the current ADV lineups...so if ya just wanted to go farther than the rest, this'll do it. I would own something like this for 3-4 years and just ADV ride everything between Mexico and Canada
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 54 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook