Topic: Best Helmet Ever Coming Soon  (Read 1470 times)

Scott

Best Helmet Ever Coming Soon
« on: 12/28/15 07:18PM »
There was a thread on here a while back about 6D Helmets. They came out with a new helmet design that was focused on dirt. Embraced in motocross, they are now bringing one designed for the street. Want! They're even based here in Brea. www.6dhelmets.com If you don't know about these helmets and how they are designed/work, you owe it to yourself to check them out. This small little company is forcing all the big boys back to their drawing boards.

Here's a couple of videos on it. I'll start with Revzilla's review of their dirt helmet (he does a great job of explaining how it works, plus all the added benefits of the helmet), followed by the owner talking on the new street version.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/l55e7ewULWs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/l55e7ewULWs</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzTE9wv-B18" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pzTE9wv-B18</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wWjACm9Qjs8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wWjACm9Qjs8</a>
« Last Edit: 12/28/15 07:41PM by Scott »

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
Re: Best Helmet Ever Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: 12/29/15 09:10AM »
wow, cool!!
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #2 on: 12/29/15 10:23AM »
cool but msrp of $900 is a bit much.  Just got a new helmet on closeout for about $350.  Hard to decide to make that jump
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #3 on: 12/29/15 11:19AM »
Seems nice but IMO this is the best helmet available, a majority of world class MotoGP, Formula 1, WSBK, etc. seem to agree.

https://www.araiamericas.com/helmets/corsair-x

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #4 on: 12/29/15 12:14PM »
^^^
Of course Arai is gonna be perceived as the best because they have a lengthy presence and are worn by all the top teams.  :4:

However, I can appreciate what 6D has done to up the ante from a design and safety standpoint.  It will be interesting to see how the helmet fares in real world scenarios (not that I'm volunteering).  Besides, the $900 price tag is still about $600 too rich for my blood!
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline FastMoto

• 998cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #5 on: 12/29/15 12:50PM »
Perhaps the NHL and NFL should take a close look at this technology for players helmets.

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #6 on: 12/29/15 07:09PM »
^^^
Of course Arai is gonna be perceived as the best because they have a lengthy presence and are worn by all the top teams.  :4:

However, I can appreciate what 6D has done to up the ante from a design and safety standpoint.  It will be interesting to see how the helmet fares in real world scenarios (not that I'm volunteering).  Besides, the $900 price tag is still about $600 too rich for my blood!
Arai is mor than "Hype" A formula 1 drive took a shot to the head from a shock and survived because of his Arai Helmet. I have yet to see any helmet that has the quality and finish of a hand built Arai. Theres plenty of info comparing carbon vs fiberglass composite safety and why Arai continues to use fiberglass. Round shapes have been proven to disperse energy the best and why Arai try to make their helmets as round as possible. There a reason an Arai Carbon helmet costs $5000, it takes one person multiple days to create. I say its your head protect it how you want. I'm going to protect my with what has been proven to be the best.

6D's "omni direction suspension system" is nothing new and not even the best in the business. Snow and mountain bike helmets have all had this tech for a while, its called MIPS "multi-directional impact protection system" which has been developed and refined using state of the art tech for years. Guess they were to cheap to pay royalties, which you would think they could afford with the helmets price tag.
« Last Edit: 12/29/15 07:12PM by RedRider4Life »

Scott

« Reply #7 on: 12/29/15 08:09PM »
RedRider, the Formula 1 Driver was Felipe Massa, and he was hit by a suspension spring, not a shock. Not only was the spring hitting him almost deadly, but it knocked him out and he went head-on into the barrier at the end of the straight at high speed. It was scary to watch. Even though he returned to racing, his fans (me included) could tell he wasn't right when he came back. In fact, his race pace was off for a couple years after, with some saying he's never really got it all back.

As far as MIPS, according to their company video, they received their venture capital in 2009, which is right about the same time 6D came about. On the Bell site, they show their MIPS system being a 4 "rubber band" like system between the 2 layers. It would be interesting to see which one test better. It would be also interesting to see if that type of system could hold up to higher speed impacts (motorcycle speeds vs bicycle speeds). I'm all for using whichever one is best :7:

As far as MotoGP and everyone you listed still preferring Arai over 6D, I'm thinking the fact that this still isn't available in a street, or any other form besides a dirt helmet, might have something to do with that? :26: It'll be interesting to see if anyone starts using this design when it becomes available for everyone that doesn't race motocross.

Either way, MIPS or 6D's design, I'm happy to see these small guys forcing everyone to come up with safer designs and new ways of thinking. As riders, we all benefit from that.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 43 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook