Topic: What happened to the two fingers?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline ‘77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • ‘77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: On-road since 2008, Off-road since 2002.
What happened to the two fingers?
« on: 02/07/16 01:52PM »
Took a ride through Ortega this morning, busy with cars earlier in the day than typical.  Great ride, great scenery etc. etc.

While riding I noticed something.  As I passed by riders going the opposite direection I gave the peace sign for being clear up ahead as usual.  What was unusual was the response I received.  Riders were not giving me the two fingers, instead they were giving me thumbs up.  When did we move to a thumbs up/down system for bikers?

I saw Javier up there on his CBR1000RR at the look out.  I don't think he noticed me though.  Also, backside, just a bit passed the look out was a CR-V (old model) or something similar pulled over with the front passenger side bumper torn apart and two bikes pulled over just after it; we passed by before the fire even got there.  As we passed I couldn't tell if the bikes were a part of the accident or just stopped becasue they saw something.  Anyone hear anything while they were up there today?

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
Re: What happened to the two fingers?
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/16 02:20PM »
Took a ride through Ortega this morning, busy with cars earlier in the day than typical.  Great ride, great scenery etc. etc.

While riding I noticed something.  As I passed by riders going the opposite direection I gave the peace sign for being clear up ahead as usual.  What was unusual was the response I received.  Riders were not giving me the two fingers, instead they were giving me thumbs up.  When did we move to a thumbs up/down system for bikers?

I saw Javier up there on his CBR1000RR at the look out.  I don't think he noticed me though.  Also, backside, just a bit passed the look out was a CR-V (old model) or something similar pulled over with the front passenger side bumper torn apart and two bikes pulled over just after it; we passed by before the fire even got there.  As we passed I couldn't tell if the bikes were a part of the accident or just stopped becasue they saw something.  Anyone hear anything while they were up there today?
Thumbs up mean the road is clear of the PoPo up ahead for you (going in their opposite direction).
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline ‘77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • ‘77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/07/16 02:27PM »
I get what the thumbs up means, but why?  When/why did we transitino from the peace sign/tapping of the helmet?

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/07/16 03:48PM »
I get what the thumbs up means, but why?  When/why did we transitino from the peace sign/tapping of the helmet?
Tapping of the helmet means there is police presence, peace sign is usually just as a passing gesture on roads more for transit rather than for "fun" or "spirited" riding spots. The thumbs up is used to let you know it's OK to let loose, for the lack of a better term.

Offline kevo

• 599cc
  • kevo's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 S1000RR
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #4 on: 02/07/16 08:41PM »
Someone forgot to tell me we transitioned to the peace sign.  LOL

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #5 on: 02/07/16 10:28PM »
It seems to me the general rule of thumb is "peace sign" means "hello fellow rider", thumb up means road is clear and OK to go for it, and helmet tap means "slow down for cop".  In my experience the thumbs up started within the last 10 years or so.

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/07/16 10:29PM »
It seems to me the general rule of thumb is "peace sign" means "hello fellow rider", thumb up means road is clear and OK to go for it, and helmet tap means "slow down for cop".  In my experience the thumbs up started within the last 10 years or so.

Offline Forum Proctologist.

« Reply #7 on: 02/08/16 10:26AM »
We heard you the second time.
* The preceding photo or paragraph/s its contents or comments, are NOT directed at anyone in particular, no need to get your panties in a bunch or take it personal.

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/08/16 01:45PM »
We heard you the second time.
Good thing my computer didn't f**k up again!  ;-)

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #9 on: 02/08/16 02:05PM »
Tapping of the helmet means there is police presence, peace sign is usually just as a passing gesture on roads more for transit rather than for "fun" or "spirited" riding spots. The thumbs up is used to let you know it's OK to let loose, for the lack of a better term.
Thats my understating as as well.

Offline ‘77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • ‘77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/08/16 05:51PM »
Yah, I get what the signs mean.  My inquiry was geared towards when the transition took place.  Anyways, ride safe out there, it's going to be a hot one this week.

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/08/16 08:01PM »
Yah, I get what the signs mean.  My inquiry was geared towards when the transition took place.  Anyways, ride safe out there, it's going to be a hot one this week.
I moved to the OC fron the SFV back in 1998 and I recall the thumbs up hand gesture being used back then. I use to get the thumbs up when riding up in ACH, Malibu and just about any canyon I happen to be on.

Offline ViciousCycle

« Reply #12 on: 02/09/16 04:20PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is also the thumbs up as a way of asking a fellow rider if he's okay or needs assistance, and for that rider to respond that he's okay, such as when stopped on the side of the road.
« Last Edit: 02/09/16 04:24PM by ViciousCycle »

Offline Dirty Monkey

• 599cc
  • Dirty Monkey's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Triumph Daytona 650 RED! 2003 TTR 125 Supermoto
  • Years Riding: 1 season
« Reply #13 on: 02/09/16 09:31PM »
I usually just give the middle finger, for some reason it gets their attention :p. To be honest, it is how it is. More technology we gain through the years, the more occupied our minds become.

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook