Topic: Triumph to discontinue the Daytona 675?  (Read 5532 times)

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
Triumph to discontinue the Daytona 675?
« on: 02/18/16 04:53PM »

Not officially confirmed yet but rumors are Triumph will be discontinuing the Daytona 675.  Not sure who's a fan here but that is terrible news!  IMO, it is one of the best sport bikes on the market.  I was really looking forward to the Daytona 800 (I believe there will be a Street Triple 800) but that probably won't happen anymore :(.  Finding a successor will be difficult.  The best option I found so far is the MV Agusta F3 800 if they can sort out the throttle response.  My other choice would be Aprilia's RSV4 even though it's not a middleweight. I'll be test riding both next week.

Anyone have experience with these bikes?

Offline harleyxlc

Re: Triumph to discontinue the Daytona 675?
« Reply #1 on: 02/18/16 06:49PM »
It was replaced in my dreams with an MV Agusta 800.

I had a speed triple 1050 for 5 years. I figured I would love this bike, I love the triple and the light weight. I did a demo ride and the love wasn't there. Definitely think I need more testing to confirm :) I kept looking but just never found a screaming deal at the right time

...could the rumor also include a street triple 800 and a daytona 800?

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/18/16 07:01PM »

I believe only the Daytona will be discontinued and both Street Triple and Speed Triple will stay in the line-up but not positive.

If you don't like the the Speed Triple, definitely try the Street Triple. A whole different animal; much lighter and far superior handling over the Speed.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #3 on: 02/18/16 09:01PM »
I had the latest version of the Speed Triple and put 12k trouble-free miles on her.  That bike is due for an update very soon (possibly in 2017).  It had a very usable powerband and carried its weight well especially after upgrading to the Arrow exhaust.  There are no credible sources mentioning the Daytona would be discontinued so take the scuttlebutt with a grain of salt.  Triumph would lose many sales here in the states if they took their only supersport offering out of their lineup. 

As for a successor, I demoed the 675R, but felt the ergos were too aggressive.  I then test rode my current bike, the S1000RR, and couldn't be happier with its combination of raw power, comfort, handling and is surprisingly efficient (I regularly achieve 40 mpg's).
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/18/16 09:48PM »

I find it hard to believe as well but supposedly that's what one of the Triumph guys claimed at the Chicago motorcycle show.

The stock ergos are aggressive; I have helibars on mine and it's perfect. I almost have 50k on it; love that thing to pieces!

Scott

« Reply #5 on: 02/19/16 12:13AM »
Love all things Triumph :49: I've owned a Storm and plan on owning many other Triumohs before I'm done. Great bikes with outstanding build quality.

I don't know about them killing off the Daytona, but the 2016 Speed Triple just got a ton of major updates. Here's a link http://triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/Roadsters-and-Supersports/Speed/2016/Speed-Triple

Seems like Triumph is coming out with major new changes to their line up across the board. New Thruxtons and Bonnies with their new 1200 engines, new model with their new 900 Twin, the Explorer is getting major changes, let's face it, they are developing like crazy over there. If they do kill the 675, I think it would be to replace it with something bigger and better... or maybe smaller and better... either way, I'm sure they would keep making some type of sport bike and that it would be fantastic and well built.

Now about that Thruxton 1200 R....  :1:

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/19/16 11:07AM »
Reasons given were too high of an R&D cost for the Daytona making it financially no longer interesting.  Not impossible but there would still be benefits to keeping it in the line-up anyway.  It’s a very competitive model and Triumph is finally getting good traction in the sport bike market.  I think they should keep it as a long term strategy and make a Daytona 800 and possibly a liter bike with a retuned version of the speed triple’s 1050cc.  The Daytona gets tons of rave reviews; killing it off just seems like a waste of time and effort they put in it over the last 10 years.

I’m still hoping the news is that they are killing off the 675 but will make a Daytona 800 instead.  My check book is ready if that were to happen! ;D :49:

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #7 on: 02/19/16 12:10PM »
I like my 675R but wouldn't shed a tear if it went away. I do like the BMW s1000rr alot but I'm nowhere near getting rid of my bike as I have less than 10k miles on it.
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline GP

« Reply #8 on: 02/19/16 12:47PM »
Source? I would be heartbroken if discontinued.  :(

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/19/16 03:20PM »
Source? I would be heartbroken if discontinued.  :(

Mainly forum chatter but it did come from Triumph staff; once at the Chicago motorcycle show and once from an internal R&D guy.  When I emailed Triumph they won’t confirm anything but they also didn’t deny the rumor…

Offline AWD OWNZ U

« Reply #10 on: 02/19/16 06:14PM »
44 teeth did a story about this recently and broke down the reasons. Seems pretty compelling.

Rumours currently festering suggest that Triumph could ditch the Daytona 675 from its range in the not too distant future. Over its decade of existence, the 675 has been developed into the world’s greatest ‘600’ in standard trim, annihilating anything that Japan has had to offer with unrivalled handling and that sweet, sweet triple engine that could well incite mechaphilia.

It’s a well-known factoid that Mr John Bloor – the owner of Triumph – doesn’t give a chuff about racing, which is a shame given the 675’s success over the years and the massive potential on the world stage. Thanks to the Hinckley-based Aussie mafia of Paul Young, Glen Richards and more recently Billy Mcconnell, the Daytona claimed multiple British championships, with racing R&D filtering directly down into the production models for you and I to relish.

By Triumph’s own admittance, the latest incarnation of the Daytona – which now enters its fourth year unchanged – simply wouldn’t have gone ahead if the factory predicted the dire state of 600 supersport sales of recent years. The graft that went into the 2013 model is incomprehensible, fine tuning every last facet, shifting weight distribution (repositioning the exhaust), and making the engine even sexier. And, to coincide with the suggestions adding further substance, Triumph has pulled the plug on all official racing duties this season. Instead, the focus has been on adventure bikes and modern retros, plus the stalwart naked sector that’s been routinely prosperous. Basically, stuff that sells.

John Bloor has been a very private man over the years, rarely seen in public and declining any press interviews. But Mr Bloor has been awarded the Royal Automobile Club’s Diamond Jubilee Trophy for ‘Triumph’s outstanding contribution to the motorcycle industry.’ Joining auto royalty such as the inventor of the hovercraft, Sir Christopher Cockerell, and Sir Richard Noble for his land speed record exploits at over 600mph, this is only the fifth time the prestigious trophy has been awarded during its 58 year history – and was last presented 18 years ago…

Bloor rescued Triumph from administration in 1983, investing big bucks in rebuilding the business and transforming the company with great success – particularly evident in the past 10 years. 2015 saw a reported annual turnover of £341.3 million that generated a profit of £2.3m, while Triumph claims ‘the business has always seen R&D as a strategic priority, investing over £25m (approximately 7.5% of turnover) per annum in 2014 and 2015.’ During the previous financial year, the company, which employs 2,300 people globally, sold 53,812 units and continued investment in its manufacturing and distribution networks in India, Thailand and Brazil.

Let’s hope the rumours are solely rumours, as the Daytona 675 is a shit-kicking device that’s right up there with any British engineering feat. Plus, anyone with a bumhole would love to see a pukka 1050 superbike from Triumph, though that’s extremely unlikely given the circumstances.

http://44teeth.com/triumphs-triumph-end-daytona/

Offline harleyxlc

« Reply #12 on: 03/05/16 08:11AM »
I wonder if the discount applies to my race to work? :)

I may need to go look at one just this morning...

Rogue

« Reply #13 on: 03/06/16 12:26PM »
While the Daytona 675R is a great middleweight sportbike, they just don't sell as well due to their uncompetitive price.  They are thousands above that of the Japanese 600 SS, and approaching the pricing of 1,000cc sportbikes.  Let's face it, buyers in this price range will be looking at the Ducati Monsters, BMW S1000R, CBR1000RR, GSXR1000, etc. for just a thousand more.  As good as the D675R is, the Japanese 600's are not that far off in performance.  If the Japanese added 75cc of displacement they would probably outpace the D675R's due to that extra 4th cylinder!  Like it or not, horsepower sells and having the highest number sells a lot!  Finally, there is the development costs to stay competitive.  Honda, Yamaha, & Suzuki spends millions in racing which spawn the best 600cc engines.  Triumph simply doesn't have big parent companies with deep pockets like the Japanese.  It is a sad thing indeed, but Triumph is being financially smart to focus on their higher margin Adventure Tourers and Retro-Bikes. 

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/07/16 08:25AM »
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/triumph-announces-2016-racing-program-including-discounts-on-bikes-and-parts-bonuses-for-qualifying-and-wins/

:3:

My guess is backlashing got to them?...

That's interesting.  I wonder what that means??  Either they just want to get rid of bikes or decided to stay in the super sport game??

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03/07/16 08:32AM »

I think it is pretty well priced and you really don't need the R model unless you're a track rat.  I also don't think we can compare it to the 600cc class.  The direct competitors are the Ducati 848, GSX-R 750, MV Agusta F3 800, etc.  Apart from the gixxer, these bikes aren't exactly cheap.  You can typically pick up a 675R for $11-$12k.  An S1000RR for example will easily run $4k more. 

While the Daytona 675R is a great middleweight sportbike, they just don't sell as well due to their uncompetitive price.  They are thousands above that of the Japanese 600 SS, and approaching the pricing of 1,000cc sportbikes.  Let's face it, buyers in this price range will be looking at the Ducati Monsters, BMW S1000R, CBR1000RR, GSXR1000, etc. for just a thousand more.  As good as the D675R is, the Japanese 600's are not that far off in performance.  If the Japanese added 75cc of displacement they would probably outpace the D675R's due to that extra 4th cylinder!  Like it or not, horsepower sells and having the highest number sells a lot!  Finally, there is the development costs to stay competitive.  Honda, Yamaha, & Suzuki spends millions in racing which spawn the best 600cc engines.  Triumph simply doesn't have big parent companies with deep pockets like the Japanese.  It is a sad thing indeed, but Triumph is being financially smart to focus on their higher margin Adventure Tourers and Retro-Bikes. 

Offline postulio4joo

• 998cc
  • postulio4joo's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Ducati 848
  • Years Riding: Over a couple of years
« Reply #16 on: 03/07/16 01:43PM »
When I was cross shopping a 675r, 848 and a MV Agusta, I ultimately decided on an 848. As a casual rider, I found that finding the most balanced and fast bike wasn't going to be the deciding factor. At my skill level, I'll never be able to push any of those bikes to their limits. Why choose a triump over a MV Agusta or Ducati? Most riders who are looking for bikes in that price range will go for the premium brand factor or availability of dealer networks.
=

I think it is pretty well priced and you really don't need the R model unless you're a track rat.  I also don't think we can compare it to the 600cc class.  The direct competitors are the Ducati 848, GSX-R 750, MV Agusta F3 800, etc.  Apart from the gixxer, these bikes aren't exactly cheap.  You can typically pick up a 675R for $11-$12k.  An S1000RR for example will easily run $4k more. 

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03/07/16 02:26PM »
It's obviously personal preference but in pretty much any review, the 675 will come out on top of the other two.  Biggest complaint about the Duc is the excessive heat for street riding.  The MV struggles with inconsistent throttle response; it is mentioned in most any review as well.  I'll test ride one to see for myself but I imagine I will probably come to the same conclusion. 

Just seems strange to me they would continue the street and speed triple but not the Daytona.  It can't possibly cost that much extra in development and Triumph isn't all that small either.

« Last Edit: 03/07/16 03:19PM by luciano136 »

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 60 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything