Topic: Aprilia RSV4 RR review  (Read 2880 times)

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
Aprilia RSV4 RR review
« on: 03/11/16 04:25PM »

For anyone interested.  One of the bikes I'm considering as a replacement for my D675:  :50:

* Looks/styling (sorry for the crappy cell pics)

I think it is a good looking bike but IMO, there are few bikes sexier than the Daytona. I also wish there were a few more color options. The flat silver/gray does look different though. I also like the tail section. I would definitely be happy with it;

* Chassis/handling/ergos
Despite being heavier than the D675, the feel and ergonomics seem very similar; I do have helibars on my Daytona, so stock-for-stock the RSV4 would be more relaxed. Everything seems in the right spot and I can't say I noticed the extra weight. The handling feels great and very familiar as well; it goes exactly where you want it to go. As far as I can tell, it is just as nimble as the Daytona. At high speed, the RSV4 definitely seems more stable.

* Engine/fueling/clutch
I believe there are 3 different modes. I ran the bike in sport mode. The throttle response was actually less immediate than my Daytona; I ended up stalling it at first LOL. The engine seems to have a tiny bit of hesitation just off the line, so you have to give it a bit more throttle to get going. Probably normal but the dealer said my impression was correct; all RSV4's seem to have it. Definitely not an issue; more of an observation really. Other than that, the throttle response is very linear and super friendly (arguably friendlier than the D675). After two blocks, I was already comfortable on it. Power delivery is very smooth and linear; I bet the dyno graph on that bike is pretty straight. That said, 201hp is just insane for the street!! I was able to open it up on a few occasions and holy crap, I have never experienced anything accelerating that hard! It's mind boggling! It would be hard to keep your license; I glanced down and couldn't believe I was well into the triple digits. And, of course, there is the sound. Yes, it does sound like a Moto GP bike and you definitely don't need an aftermarket exhaust. Can't say I love it more than the sound of the triple though; both are great, just different. I also like how mechanical it feels/sounds.
I also read about engine heat; can't say I noticed much or that it was bothersome. Also read about the mirrors being useless; they are actually better than the D675.
Clutch was perfect; very easy to shift fast and I didn't even try the quickshifter. Neutral was a tad hard to find but no big deal. Engine braking was perfect for my liking and similar to the D675.

* Suspension/brakes
Hard to tell since I couldn't really push the bike on some twisty roads. I'm sure both are fine and the suspension felt more compliant on less than perfect roads than the D675. It probably adds to the high speed stability feel.

So, all-in-all, I think the RSV4 is a very impressive bike. It's easy to ride and does everything very well; it also has a lot more character than your typical Japanese inline 4. Anyone buying this bike will have a lot of fun with it and it could definitely be a good replacement for the Daytona. The only slight drawback is the power; it is a LOT for the street and you can't possibly push this bike without going to jail. They need to make an RSV3 with 150hp. For that reason, I do still very much look forward to riding the MV Agusta F3 800. I will also give the Tuono V4 a try; probably similar mental power but more relaxed ergos.

Offline harleyxlc

Re: Aprilia RSV4 RR review
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/16 05:26PM »
Nice review! Hope you post up the MV review when you ride it. I can't stop looking at that bike :)

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/11/16 05:40PM »
Nice review! Hope you post up the MV review when you ride it. I can't stop looking at that bike :)

Will do!  It's a gorgeous bike for sure and 148hp may be a bit more reasonable.  The RSV4 may not be good for your health on the street LOL

Offline SmokEy87

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • SmokEy87's Gallery
  • Solo Dios Sabe
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Ninja Zx6r-2011 yamaha R6
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #3 on: 03/11/16 06:14PM »
Nice review! I think i will getting a black 2015 Yamaha R1 this week, huge upgrade for me as i have never had a 1000cc! Super excited and can't wait to put the Akro exhaust on her!  :31:

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #4 on: 03/11/16 07:06PM »
If you're considering liter bikes, I'd recommend checking out the S1000R or RR.  They're not as pretty as the Italians, but comfort, power delivery, reliability, and available features make them strong candidates unlike some of our presidential hopefuls.  ;D
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline HeyNow

« Reply #5 on: 03/11/16 07:16PM »
If you're considering liter bikes, I'd recommend checking out the S1000R or RR.  They're not as pretty as the Italians, but comfort, power delivery, reliability, and available features make them strong candidates unlike some of our presidential hopefuls.  ;D

I'm obviously biased, but ... +1

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/11/16 09:05PM »

The S1000RR and KTM RC8R are two other ones I wanted to check out.  Definitely looking for something with a ton of character and I'm not sure if the BMW has it or if it's typical German precision.  All that said, the middleweight class may be the sweet spot.  200hp bikes on the street are just crazy IMO.  It is soooo tempting to crack the throttle and when you do, you're in the triple digits in no time. 
« Last Edit: 03/11/16 09:07PM by luciano136 »

Scott

« Reply #7 on: 03/11/16 10:01PM »
You want 157hp, 78lbs of torque, fantastic handling, great lines and looks, comfortable, reliable, 2 year unlimited mile warranty, sounds better than your triumph (D675's sound great!), industry leading traction control and abs, adjustable electronics, that's under $15k? Highly, highly recommend you go test the 959

http://panigale.ducati.com/959/us/?_ga=1.263136460.1348009729.1457762013

:46:
« Last Edit: 03/11/16 10:07PM by Scott »

Offline Shenanigans

« Reply #8 on: 03/11/16 10:49PM »

+1  for the S1kRR.  I was 99% positive I was going to get a 2015 R1 until I test rode the new S1k.  Awesome brakes and the autoblip down shift is phenomenal!  :51: :51:

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/11/16 10:51PM »
The only thing with Ducati is that they get hotter than hell. Definitely a gorgeous bike though!

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #10 on: 03/12/16 12:55AM »

The S1000RR and KTM RC8R are two other ones I wanted to check out.  Definitely looking for something with a ton of character and I'm not sure if the BMW has it or if it's typical German precision.  All that said, the middleweight class may be the sweet spot.  200hp bikes on the street are just crazy IMO.  It is soooo tempting to crack the throttle and when you do, you're in the triple digits in no time. 

If you thought the power was crazy on the RSV please please please ride a S1000RR! Above 9K its the craziest beast I have ever ridden, the closest thing I can compare it to is a 500cc two stroke hitting the power band. It pulled the front with ease shifting from third to fourth at around 140mph.  Over kill, absolutely, but totally worth it! I have my 600 geared down 1 in the front 2 up in the rear for quicker acceleration and the S100RR will pull at 80mph like my 600 will off the line!

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #11 on: 03/12/16 12:58AM »
You want 157hp, 78lbs of torque, fantastic handling, great lines and looks, comfortable, reliable, 2 year unlimited mile warranty, sounds better than your triumph (D675's sound great!), industry leading traction control and abs, adjustable electronics, that's under $15k? Highly, highly recommend you go test the 959

http://panigale.ducati.com/959/us/?_ga=1.263136460.1348009729.1457762013

:46:
Funny after all this time ducati liter bikes are just now making the horse power of 10 year old bikes from the big 4. gotta love that torque for street riding though. I love ducati looks and sound. I still think the Multistrada is the best do it all bike available.

Rogue

« Reply #12 on: 03/12/16 06:48AM »
I love the RSV4!  Beautiful bike and beautiful sound.

I do agree with you.  The power on these liter+ bikes are insane and you will rarely, if ever use it on the street.  For someone like me who has a hard time slowing down in the straights, a liter bike power would be the end of my license (very nearly did before).  I just don't trust myself!  LOL!

Even a 120-150 rwhp bike would get me in big trouble.  As it is, I get in trouble already with 100 rwhp!!!

I think at this point in my riding career, I'm happy with character, handling, reliability, and looks first and foremost.  Horsepower is no longer a big consideration.  As long as it's fun to ride.

Scott

« Reply #13 on: 03/12/16 07:51AM »
I'm with ya Rogue... 100hp bike can be just as fun as a 175hp bike, just in a different way. I love my Diavel. I also love riding a Triumph Thruxton, and a Thruxton is a "dog" compared to most other bikes as far as excelleration goes.

Luciano, just thought of another bike that fits the cool looking, great sounding, etc bike: the MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster RR (think I like it because they basically stole the Diavel look lol)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8B4zTh7xI8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b8B4zTh7xI8&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: 03/12/16 07:53AM by Scott »

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/12/16 09:43AM »

I'm sure it is just as crazy!  I'll test ride it as well just for the hell of it.  The only reason I would still potentially consider something like an RSV4 is because it's friendly to ride and still fun at "normal" speeds.  Unfortunately it would always whisper in your ear to open it up :)

If you thought the power was crazy on the RSV please please please ride a S1000RR! Above 9K its the craziest beast I have ever ridden, the closest thing I can compare it to is a 500cc two stroke hitting the power band. It pulled the front with ease shifting from third to fourth at around 140mph.  Over kill, absolutely, but totally worth it! I have my 600 geared down 1 in the front 2 up in the rear for quicker acceleration and the S100RR will pull at 80mph like my 600 will off the line!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03/12/16 09:45AM »
Yep, its super sport counter part is high on my list.  I'm going back to test ride it.  Possibly the closest to my Daytona but with 148hp.

I'm with ya Rogue... 100hp bike can be just as fun as a 175hp bike, just in a different way. I love my Diavel. I also love riding a Triumph Thruxton, and a Thruxton is a "dog" compared to most other bikes as far as excelleration goes.

Luciano, just thought of another bike that fits the cool looking, great sounding, etc bike: the MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster RR (think I like it because they basically stole the Diavel look lol)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8B4zTh7xI8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b8B4zTh7xI8&fs=1</a>

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #16 on: 03/12/16 10:41AM »
Horsepower isn't the problem as that only equates to higher speeds, it's torque and having a bunch of it down low and in mid-range RPMs, that will have you pulling wheelies and grabbing the attention of Charlie Chipper quickly.  It's why the twins, triples, and V-4's typically have more character than the inline-4's.  That was my perception until I test rode the S1K, 82 ft-lbs of torque in a mostly flat dyno-curve (even compared to a Panigale) makes for a very fun ride.  :51:

For perspective, the S1000RR puts out as much torque at 4K as most 600's put out at peak RPMs...
« Last Edit: 03/12/16 10:43AM by Throttle Chopper »
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03/12/16 12:58PM »

Yea, numbers give you some perspective but the way the power is delivered is really what matters.  My N1K has close to 80ft.lbs of torque and at a lower rpm; it'll pop wheelies easily as well but since it's not as rev happy, you don't up end at ridiculous speeds.  The thing pulls from as low as 1-2k rpm in 6th gear.

Offline Kevs Rex

• 125cc
  • Kevs Rex's Gallery
  • Red White & Blue Rexer
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200
  • Years Riding: 30 + Years
« Reply #18 on: 03/13/16 10:05PM »
Yep, its super sport counter part is high on my list.  I'm going back to test ride it.  Possibly the closest to my Daytona but with 148hp.

As far as looks the F3 is one of the most beautiful bikes around IMHO!

Offline HyperKev

« Reply #19 on: 03/15/16 10:19PM »
I wanted a s1000rr as a first choice but ended up with an Rsv4.  The look and sound of the bike sold me.  As soon as I sat on one and started the bike up I made up my mind  :50:

In the end any one of the bikes mentioned on this thread are great choices.  I'm sure whatever choice you make you'll be happy

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 62 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything