Topic: BMW S1000RR review  (Read 1838 times)

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
BMW S1000RR review
« on: 03/19/16 05:00PM »
Well, with my recent ride of the Aprilia RSV4 still fresh in my mind, I figured it was time to give another highly praised bike a try!  The BMW S1000RR  :51:.  Model ridden was a used 2015. 

ē   Looks/styling
With the shark fin and funky headlights, this is probably a love-it-or-hate it look.  I can appreciate the different styling but canít say itís amazing either.  Compared to my Daytona and RSV4, I would rank it number 3.  Then again, it is not THAT important to me either.

ē   Chassis/handling/ergos
Compared to my Daytona (with helibars) and the RSV4, it probably has the edge in comfort but less than I expected since everyone praises the S1000RR for being a ďveryĒ comfortable street bike.  For me personally, the difference is subtle and all 3 bikes are a great fit.  The BMW may be slightly less compact than the other two, which would make it a better fit for people with a larger torso.
Handling is hard to judge since there werenít any good roads around.  It feels pretty neutral but I thought the RSV4ís steering  was a little sharper/lighter and the beamer is definitely less nimble than my Daytona.

ē   Engine/fueling/clutch
The beamer comes with 4 different modes: rain, sport, race and slick.  Per recommendation from the dealership I ran it in race mode.  Iíd say the throttle response is spot on and once again (to my surprise) a tad less immediate than my Daytona.  It really makes for a very easy bike to ride on the street (and probably track for that matter).  I was comfortable on it pretty much as soon as I left the lot.  Just like the RSV4, the power delivery is smooth and linear and it pulls like a freight train!  I didnít quite get the ďOMFGĒ feeling like I did on the RSV4 but I also didnít have enough road to make it to redline; my guess would be that the RSV4 has a tad better midrange being a V4 or the beamer is just so darn smooth you canít tell.  In any case, it has way more power than anyone will ever need! (on a side note, whatís the blinking light for?). 
The clutch is great as well.  Super easy to engage with just the right amount of feel.  That is, if you even want to use it beyond 1st gear because the bike comes with an up AND down quickshifter, which is pretty much seemless.  The downshift could still be a tad smoother but Iím splitting hairs here.  This would be a ton of fun in the canyons or on the track.  The current RSV4 only has an upshift quickshifter at the moment.  Just like the RSV4, the engine braking was perfect for my liking.
The inline 4 also sounded better than I expected.  Pretty throaty and I love the exhaust popping you get from time to time.  Not as much character as the V4 or triple but better than your typical inline 4 and plenty loud.  I donít really think there is the need for an aftermarket exhaust.

ē   Suspension/brakes
Suspension is hard to judge without having good canyons roads around.  I think the RSV4 may be a little more compliant on less than perfect roads and it seemed a tad less stiff than my D675.  The thing that really stood out to me were the brakes!  The front has sooo much bite!!   I think you can literally stop this thing with your pinky.  Definitely stronger than both the RSV4 and D675.  The rear brake on the other hand felt a bit too soft; almost the opposite from the front.

So, in summary, if youíre looking for a versatile superbike that is comfortable and street friendly, the BMW is arguably one of the best bikes out there.  It does everything very well and is probably easy to ride fast.  If I could only have one bike, that would most likely be the one to get (also has a 3y/36k mi warranty).  Now, as a second bike, I think Iím looking for something with a bit more character.  For me personally, the RSV4 still has a bigger fun factor.  I think my wife confirmed it when I got home: ďyou donít  look quite as excited like you did after riding the ApriliaĒ.  Next up is the MV Agusta F3 800 
« Last Edit: 03/19/16 05:07PM by luciano136 »

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
Re: BMW S1000RR review
« Reply #1 on: 03/19/16 07:16PM »
The blinking light is the shift indicator, set quite low stock but you can adjust it. The S1000RR really shines above 9500K and becomes total insanity at 11000, especially with a re-flash of the ECU and quicker gearing. The throttle on the '15 leaves a little to be desired IMO, but fixable with the flash. The stock brakes are really good like you stated, but I prefer a little more bite than the stock pads create.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #2 on: 03/19/16 08:05PM »
Depending on when you were looking down, like say riding over a manhole cover or accelerating from a light, the blinking light could have also been the traction control light.  I never noticed the brakes being too abrupt, then again my previous bike also had Brembos.

All in all a fair review.  :8: Did the bike have DDC as well?  If so, that might explain the stiffer ride.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/19/16 08:07PM »
I was expecting the throttle response to be a little more immediate in race mode; it felt more like street or sport mode. Then again, super friendly which makes for a relaxed ride.

I think the light started blinking at 8k orso. Way too early. I had it up to about 11-12k orso; plenty of thrust, that's for sure! I'm once again impressed how ridable these 200hp bikes really are. Technology has come a long way!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/19/16 09:07PM »
Did the bike have DDC as well?  If so, that might explain the stiffer ride.

Not sure?  Can you tell by the pic?  He showed my one bike that had it but I believe it had the lettering on the fork.

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #5 on: 03/19/16 09:27PM »
Not that it matters as you seem to have eyes for an Italian thoroughbred but Yes looks like DDC and rev limit light, previous owner probably never pushed it  :32: and if the pads are like the S1000R they bite like hell at first but some after market pads eliminate this and still stop right now with great feeling.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesnít value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesnít value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/19/16 09:35PM »
Not that it matters as you seem to have eyes for an Italian thoroughbred but Yes looks like DDC and rev limit light, previous owner probably never pushed it  :32: and if the pads are like the S1000R they bite like hell at first but some after market pads eliminate this and still stop right now with great feeling.

Bike came from the CA superbike school, so I'm guessing it had fresh brake pads.  I didn't mind the bite so much, just had to get used to it.

The Italian does have a bit more character but don't get me wrong, both bikes are absolutely excellent!  Not surprised they ranked 1 and 2 at the 2015 Superbike shootout from motorcycle.com
« Last Edit: 03/19/16 09:38PM by luciano136 »

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #7 on: 03/19/16 09:55PM »
Not sure?  Can you tell by the pic?  He showed my one bike that had it but I believe it had the lettering on the fork.

Yes, it had DDC as indicated by the electrical connector at the top of the left fork.  Not sure if DDC also changes with the rider mode, but it's possible the rebound damping may have been set up for a heavier rider.  Setting 4 is the factory setting, and is recommended for a rider up to 187 lbs.  I find the suspension on mine to be pretty plush at least compared to the Daytona 675R I test rode, but that may have also been set up incorrectly for my weight/preference.
« Last Edit: 03/19/16 09:57PM by Throttle Chopper »
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/19/16 10:11PM »

Yea, I'm only 165lbs. The Daytona is indeed pretty stiff; great in canyons but a tad too stiff on less than perfect roads.
« Last Edit: 03/19/16 10:17PM by luciano136 »

Offline Shenanigans

« Reply #9 on: 03/19/16 10:23PM »
That S1K has every option on it including the factory Forged HP wheels  :25:
P.S. If throttle response is a big deal to you make sure to ride it in slick mode next time

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/19/16 10:26PM »
That S1K has every option on it including the factory Forged HP wheels  :25:
P.S. If throttle response is a big deal to you make sure to ride it in slick mode next time

No complaints on the throttle response.  I was expecting it to be more immediate in race mode but it was still super friendly (a good thing IMO).

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #11 on: 03/20/16 12:34AM »
I pre ordered in 2010 and waited 6 mos . BMW delivered the power .
 No DTC  , or linked brakes
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Scott

« Reply #12 on: 03/20/16 11:16PM »
lol luciano... you remind me of me when I'm looking to buy a bike. Go buy that Aprilia already... it's not just calling you, she's screaming your name!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/21/16 09:04AM »
lol luciano... you remind me of me when I'm looking to buy a bike. Go buy that Aprilia already... it's not just calling you, she's screaming your name!

Oh, I have time.  Still enjoying every minute on the 'tona.  Just doing early research so when the time comes, I already know exactly what I want.  A few more bikes to check out :)

Offline IslandTosh

• 125cc
  • IslandTosh's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Triumph Street Triple R, '04 Ninja 250 (I think she's jealous)
  • Years Riding: Since July 2013
« Reply #14 on: 03/22/16 12:37PM »
Nice review.  I test-rode the naked (single-R) last summer, and it was a GREAT bike. The power and powerband, brakes, ride / handling are awesome.  I also dig the asymmetrical look...like it's looking at things a little crazy-eyed.  Only downsides for me were the cost, heat off the engine, it felt wide at tank and bars, and the fact that it made me want to ride harder (not good for my license and insurance).  I felt that I could find something more appropriate for my usage pattern.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03/22/16 01:43PM »

Maybe the fairings help but I sat in traffic for a while and the heat wasn't bad considering the reading was 218F.  I think the main downside is the temptation to twist the throttle and either get in an accident or go to jail.

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #16 on: 03/22/16 04:35PM »
 Dont go monkey on the throttle and dont show  off on  200 hp machine .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 60 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything