• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
FZ-07 Review
« on: 03/28/16 11:52PM »
After getting a chance to spend some time on an FZ-07 over the weekend I figured I would share my thoughts and observations. My friend recently purchased the bike used, about 1,200 miles as his first street going motorcycle. I assisted him in deciding between several options and after studying them he decided on the FZ, which I felt was a great choice.

A little about the FZ for those who may not be to familiar. It is a 689cc parallel twin with crossplane firing order and a wet weight of 395 lbs.

First what I like about it:
I think the bike looks great, the sculpted swing arm, 10 spoke wheels, and sharp minimal tail are welcome additions to a larger cc entry level motorcycle that you will not find from the competition. The bike is fitted stock with a 180/55ZR17 rear where most of the competition is using a 160 rear tire. This allow for a greater selection of tires for whatever type of riding you prefer to use the machine for. The bike has a low seat and along with the low center of gravity and weight compared to almost every other sports bike on the market its has very friendly handling. Gear position indicator, fuel gages and temperature display were nice addition to find on the the fully digit dash. One of the biggest surprises what the exhaust note. The FZ-07 I rode did have a Yoshimura aftermarket exhaust, it drops 10 lbs off the bike, but a large portion to the deep exhaust growl is thanks to the crossplane crank that yamaha used in the motor. From idle to redline the bike has a deep throaty tone that is more similar to a v-twin than an inline. The motor produces torque quickly and through the rev range, the four piston dual front rotors produces plenty of stopping power, along with comfortable ergonomics its an enjoyable ride in town and traffic.

What I feel could be improved:
While the riding position is comfortable I felt like yamaha could have added a little more sweep to the bars to improve the comfort of the riding position. The foot pegs also seemed a little high for a bike with such and upright seating position. Another area that could be improved would be the throttle response off idle. Initial throttle inputs are abrupt and don't make the bike the most user friendly off the line or in slow situations. What I liked least about the bike was the suspension, specifically the front fork. Yamaha built this great machine and for reasons I cannot fathom placed a under sprung non-adjustable front end on it. There is zero adjustability on the front fork and only preload adjustability on the rear shock. I know to many new riders setting up suspension can be intimidating, but at least give the user the ability to adjust preload all around. It would be nice to have some dampening adjustability as well though.

Overall I think Yamaha did a great job with the development of the FZ-07 and blew the competition out of the water, this coming from a life long Honda fan. The FZ-07 even with its short comings is considerably better than the competition. If I owned or planned on purchasing an FZ-07 I would invest in new fork internals, aftermarket exhaust, fender eliminator, lithium battery, and re-flash to fix the throttle response as soon as possible. Things I might change over time would be the rear shock and handlebars.
« Last Edit: 03/30/16 04:37PM by RedRider4Life »

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
Re: FZ-07 Review
« Reply #1 on: 03/29/16 07:38AM »
289cc?

Offline eddiemon

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • eddiemon's Gallery
  • Unofficial OCMoto Photographer
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #2 on: 03/29/16 09:55AM »
Typo, should be 689cc.   :17:

Rogue

« Reply #3 on: 03/29/16 10:03AM »
Agree with all your assessments on the FZ-07.  I took a long hard look at this bike in 2015.  It gets mostly good reviews and only falls short on the same thing you mentioned could be improved:  Suspension.  Great bike.  Great engine.  Compact and lightweight (you had a typo...should be 395 lbs. wet).  Comfortable and fun to ride.  Great price.

I do think Yamaha skimped on the FZ-07's and 09's suspensions to meet their price point.  Nothing different from what other makers are doing.

Compare this to Ducati offering the Monster 821 for $13k with the most basic suspension with non-adjustable fork.  To me that's just criminal when you consider the Triumph Street Triple, and all the 600cc Supersports have fully adjustable, higher quality suspension for less $$.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #4 on: 03/29/16 10:28AM »

Great write-up!  With emissions getting ever more restrictive, fueling and throttle response have definitely suffered on some bikes.  The low rpm throttle responsive on my Ninja was pretty crappy in stock form.  It had a huge on/off feel to it, which made it very difficult to ride the bike smoothly.  Thankfully $350 for an ECU flash fixed the problem!  Smooth and linear now; it was worth every penny.

Rogue

« Reply #5 on: 03/29/16 11:14AM »
I never really fully grasped why some bikes can have an abrupt throttle response at part throttle, while others, even from the same manufacturer has perfect throttle response.

I'm sure it's emissions related tuning, along with hardware design, buy if they can give one bike perfect response while another one isn't, leads me to suspect it has more to do with money.  For example, Suzuki's current GSXR's have no issues with part throttle response.  Meanwhile, their newly released GSX1000F has this issue.  Yamaha's R1/6 has no throttle response issues, but their new FZ's have it. 

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #6 on: 03/29/16 11:29AM »
Yea, I think you're right that it is about R&D time and money.  They *can*make it perfect but don't always seem to do it.  For the N1K in particular, I believe it has something to do with the fuel injectors shutting off when you close the throttle.  So, when you get back on the throttle, you get this second delay where you go from 0 to 20% response instead of perfectly linear.  It really started annoying the crap out of me and made it hard to ride the bike smoothly.  I would often lean forward anticipating the acceleration but nothing would happen until a second later.  Getting this mid turn is quite annoying as well. 

Both the BMW and Aprilia I rode were very good but they are also top of the line bikes.

I never really fully grasped why some bikes can have an abrupt throttle response at part throttle, while others, even from the same manufacturer has perfect throttle response.

I'm sure it's emissions related tuning, along with hardware design, buy if they can give one bike perfect response while another one isn't, leads me to suspect it has more to do with money.  For example, Suzuki's current GSXR's have no issues with part throttle response.  Meanwhile, their newly released GSX1000F has this issue.  Yamaha's R1/6 has no throttle response issues, but their new FZ's have it. 

Rogue

« Reply #7 on: 03/29/16 12:14PM »
My VFR800 had the emissions tuning issue wherein on part throttle or closed throttle, the engine would go to ultra lean running which significantly lowered emissions but also cut power.  I would be cruising at 75-80 with steady throttle and the bike would slow down.  I would then have to compensate with more throttle to maintain speed only to have it slow down again once steady state cruising was reached.  Then there was the surging at slow speeds.  So annoying.  A powercommander fixed it right up.

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #8 on: 03/30/16 04:39PM »
Typos fixed. Might invest in an FZ-07 for the wife in the near future.

Offline FE501_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FE501_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FE 501
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #9 on: 03/30/16 06:42PM »
NICE!

Typos fixed. Might invest in an FZ-07 for the wife in the near future.

The FJ-09 has my eye...
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline Agent_Orange

« Reply #10 on: 03/31/16 10:03AM »
I have one....love it.

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 44 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook