Topic: Look At This Interesting Bike  (Read 1041 times)

Rogue

« Last Edit: 04/21/16 08:21AM by Rogue »

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
Re: Look At This Interesting Bike
« Reply #1 on: 04/20/16 09:16PM »

Interesting! 

It would be more so if your link worked...   :4:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline SoCal250

• Two-stroke nut
  • 599cc
  • SoCal250's Gallery
  • Smelling like freshly burned VP & Motul 710!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 79 Yamaha RD400F, 05 Yamaha FZ6, 91 Yamaha TZR250R, 75 Yamaha RD125B, and others
  • Years Riding: quite a while

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #3 on: 04/20/16 11:30PM »
Hate to flame, but perhaps previewing your post before might be beneficial. ;)

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: A quiet red truck.
  • Years Riding: 37, Years Training Riders: 15
« Reply #4 on: 04/21/16 06:06AM »
I like it. 

Most bikes these days are so much about 'more' that you lose touch with the riding experience.  It's good to see that someone recognizes that fact and is willing to offer less in tech/accessories and more in the actual 'it's just fun to ride' area.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Rogue

« Reply #6 on: 04/21/16 08:44AM »
I like it. 

Most bikes these days are so much about 'more' that you lose touch with the riding experience.  It's good to see that someone recognizes that fact and is willing to offer less in tech/accessories and more in the actual 'it's just fun to ride' area.

Ride on,

J~

I agree with that. 

There are quite a few bikes that are just simple as can be compared to many other bikes that are more like cars today.  I owned one for many years and really loved it.  It was a Buell XB12R and she was air cooled, with hydraulic valves (no adjustment), belt drive, manual brakes, etc.  Ok she had electronic ignition, FI, and a computer to control the engine.  Other than that, it was an engine bolted to an aluminum frame with suspension and wheels.  I rode this bike for 30k miles.  Changed the oil and spark plugs.  That was it!  She wasn’t the fastest but she felt fast enough.  She never felt underpowered even under demanding conditions.  I miss this bike more than I will admit and this is probably why I have this deep desire to go back to its simplicity and honesty—she was just a bike that was fun to ride and easy to own. 

This is probably why I’m a closet admirer of simple, retro-like bikes. 

Scott

« Reply #7 on: 04/21/16 05:42PM »
^ what you're saying reminds me of my Triumph Storm. Loved that bike and regret ever having sold it! Simply, clean, reliable, and just fun to ride. Belt drive is where it's at in my opinion. Everything you said also is a really good description of Victory's... even the hydraulic valves you never have to adjust. Talked to the mechanics up at SoCal Victory and they say some guys are getting 100,000 miles out of their belts! Just tires, brakes and oil for 100,000 would be SWEEEET!!!

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #8 on: 04/22/16 08:53AM »
While I admire Harley's effort, this is nothing new for them.  They tried a more sporty handling effort in the past with the XR1200 a few years back.  At least the Sportster with its lower price will attract more buyers, but those bikes are just plain ugly IMO.  The suppository-shaped tank looks like an afterthought, and it's tall, narrow profile would be more fitting on a dual sport.

I do agree more bikes are becoming less visceral with computer aids and whatnot, but there are far more raw bikes on the market.  Take the Yamaha SR400, the thing has a drum brake for crying out loud, and even a kick-starter, and with a $6,000 price of entry you could also buy a dual sport to toy around with for the same money you'd pay for one '16 Sportster at $11,500!  :36:
Every day is ride to work day!

Rogue

« Reply #9 on: 04/22/16 09:17AM »
TC, I can respect that. 

I looked at their XR1200 back in 2011 and didn't like its looks very much.  Although it had impressive performance (for a H-D) thanks to all the work Buell did for them!  LOL!  It was Buell who gave them that higher output 1203cc "Evolution" engine.  But that's ancient history and H-D wants to forget all about that.

Personally, I’ve always liked the look of H-D’s sporty.  Love their 883 Iron.  But that’s just me.  There are people who love the look of the BMW’s adventure bikes too, while I think they have the “beauty” of the WWII Panzer IV’s!  To each his own!

The Yamaha SR400 is way too retro and slow for my taste.  And it looks way too plain and ordinary.  Anyway, the 883 Iron is $9k, which is more within the balance of affordability, fun to ride, coolness, and has way more engine power.  Yes you can get a Yamaha FZ-07 and go faster, be lighter, look more modern, and all for $7k.  But for me, it probably won’t be the kind of bike that makes me look twice and desire to ride it.  My point is neither the SR400 nor the FZ-07 light my fire.  Plus, both these bikes require more maintenance than the H-D Sportsters.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 33 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything