Topic: GSXR crash at Palomar 5.27.16  (Read 2419 times)

Offline **CBR_DC**

GSXR crash at Palomar 5.27.16
« on: 05/27/16 10:58PM »
Followed some guys up the other day, guy was ok only some minor bumps and bruises.  Lucky it wasn't a busy day for oncoming traffic.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4yKBtephFA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/G4yKBtephFA</a>

Rogue

Re: GSXR crash at Palomar 5.27.16
« Reply #1 on: 05/28/16 08:50PM »
That's puzzling.  The guy was following the same line and was going just as fast as the rider in front, yet he lost his front end and low sided. Luckily his low side was a mild one and there was nobody coming in the other direction.

BTW, you were scraping pegs on your FJR.  I'm impressed. 

Offline 77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • 77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: On-road since 2008, Off-road since 2002.
« Reply #2 on: 05/29/16 08:28AM »
Looked like he touched his rearset to the ground, picked the bike up a little then went to drop in again and thats where he lost his front wheel.  Too much input on the handlebars maybe?

Offline Scblacksunshine

« Reply #3 on: 05/29/16 10:04AM »
That's puzzling.  The guy was following the same line and was going just as fast as the rider in front, yet he lost his front end and low sided. Luckily his low side was a mild one and there was nobody coming in the other direction.

Easy to tell if you freeze frame moements before his crash. Wayyy to much lean angle for the speed he was going. That much lean angle was used since that person was really crossed up on his bike. You see this type of crash all the time up on the snake.

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #4 on: 05/29/16 10:59AM »

Easy to tell if you freeze frame moements before his crash. Wayyy to much lean angle for the speed he was going. That much lean angle was used since that person was really crossed up on his bike. You see this type of crash all the time up on the snake.

Yea, he looked crossed up from what I could tell too. Glad it was a quiet morning as bikes would be flying down that part of the road on busy days.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #5 on: 05/29/16 12:11PM »

Agreed, his lack of gear also contributed to the accident, as in had he'd been wearing some pants with knee sliders he likely would have slid his butt off the seat, scrubbed those knee pucks, and approached with more more sensible lean angle.  At that angle even just a 6" patch of gravel or sand could have upset that very narrow contact patch.  Glad he walked away!
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #6 on: 05/29/16 12:15PM »

It doesn't take much to crash when you're leaned over that far.  A little bit of dirt, tar snake, bump, etc.  Moral of the story; only ride at 70% on the road. 

Friday was a great riding day btw.  I had ACH to myself for the full 60mi across.  What a blast!

Scott

« Reply #7 on: 05/29/16 06:12PM »
Looks like he needs to watch Twist of the Wrist II again.

Offline **CBR_DC**

« Reply #8 on: 05/29/16 06:24PM »

Haha, thank you! Some of those turns I'm picking up my foot so my peg can give way so I can get s little more lean. Would normally have my Cbr up there but it's in the shop getting a valve adjustment and some work to the cam chain.

From my view it appears that it was just too much lean for his tires, he had some hard compound metzler tires on. It appears his front end lost grip.

Offline **CBR_DC**

« Reply #9 on: 06/01/16 12:18AM »
REPSOL, I have my first track day at chuckwalla this weekend. Can't wait!!

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #10 on: 06/01/16 08:54PM »
Awesome! What tires are you going to run? Your going to catch the bug.

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #11 on: 06/01/16 09:06PM »
Way too leaned over to be rolling off the throttle, you can tell he continues to lean the bike to make the corner but keeps pushing wide so he gets off the throttle just slightly and adds just enough extra pressure to have the front let go. Throttle Chopper was correct in stating that proper gear, and body position could have prevented the crash. Moving off the seat and using a knee would allowed the bike to be more upright at the same speed to make the corner.
......Wayyy to much lean angle for the speed he was going......
Agreed, when your going that slow and have the bike way on its side it can quickly roll off the tire.

Offline **CBR_DC**

« Reply #12 on: 06/02/16 12:47AM »
Awesome! What tires are you going to run? Your going to catch the bug.

I'm going with bto16. Had several brands of tires and have always felt best on these. Just realized it's going to 118 degrees my track day...

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #13 on: 06/02/16 10:40AM »
Way too leaned over to be rolling off the throttle, you can tell he continues to lean the bike to make the corner but keeps pushing wide so he gets off the throttle just slightly and adds just enough extra pressure to have the front let go. Throttle Chopper was correct in stating that proper gear, and body position could have prevented the crash. Moving off the seat and using a knee would allowed the bike to be more upright at the same speed to make the corner.

Thanks, and great point about rolling off throttle.  Unloading that front tire at that lean angle easily could have upset everything enough to cause that lowside, no sand/gravel required.   As they say: "slow in, fast out", not "roll off the throttle out"...   :4:

And great choice on the BT016 CBR_DC, while dated, they're cheap, and offer great feedback and lots of traction!
« Last Edit: 06/02/16 10:44AM by Throttle Chopper »
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #14 on: 06/02/16 04:20PM »
Moving off the seat and using a knee would allowed the bike to be more upright at the same speed to make the corner.

Very good point here.  Something I only discovered when I took the supermoto class recently. I was at max lean angle scraping the pegs on the supermoto and later realized I could go the same speed with the bike more upright if I were to hang off.  I put it to practice on my usual morning onramp and low and behold, I came out the turn a few mph faster and with less lean angle!

Offline MurdaJ

« Reply #15 on: 06/06/16 07:45PM »
Looks like he flinched after dragging some knee right before he fell
Need a mechanic? Avoid Oc Motorcycle Shop/Superchicken Drew

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook