Topic: Dangerous driving and video evidence  (Read 2828 times)

Offline slipgatecentral

Dangerous driving and video evidence
« on: 07/15/16 10:46AM »
Got a question for you all, let's say I captured an example of dangerous driving on video, with license plate clearly visible. Should I bother submitting it to authorities, or is it just a waste of time? Does anyone know an example of someone being punished or warned based on video evidence submitted by third party?

It happened this morning: someone apparently got mad at me for lanesplitting and they passed me on the left in HOV lane. Not a big deal, just shook my head and went ahead, but I wonder if in the future if something like this happens, do I need to bother and report shit like this to police.

Offline slipgatecentral

Re: Dangerous driving and video evidence
« Reply #1 on: 07/15/16 11:03AM »
Video in question:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdW2M8V9Geg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TdW2M8V9Geg</a>

Like I said, no big deal, just unprovoked dick move. I have seen quite a few examples of this behavior over last 2 years, but generally people are nice and minding their own business

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #2 on: 07/15/16 11:10AM »
Doubt the cops would care. send it to local tv news station for public shaming
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline slipgatecentral

« Reply #3 on: 07/15/16 11:24AM »
What if it's something more serious than this? Like, erratic driving, speeding, cutting people off, brake checking? Seen that too on friday nights but I usually prefer to stay away from those.

They usually ask to call 911 and report drunk drivers immediately, but would they care after it happened but captured on video?

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
  • Years Riding: since 2010
« Reply #4 on: 07/15/16 11:36AM »
the cops arent going to do anything unless it happens in front of them or if something physically happened to you.  They wont care if you took video of someone being an idiot.  You could try calling them while riding if your able to and reporting a dangerous driver but thats it.  As stated above, your best bet is sending your footage to a news station or something.

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #5 on: 07/15/16 11:57AM »
I'm just going to throw this out there. What is the difference between when you passed him and when he passed you?

From what I am seeing you crossed over the lines and/or are riding on them for a while. For one, this is unsafe and two, is also not lane sharing. Unfortunately the lane sharing guidelines were removed from the CHP website but in the guidelines it stated that you should be within the lane when passing i.e. Sharing the lane, not riding on or crossing over the line(s) to do so. Note that the space between the yellow lines is NOT a lane for motorcycles.

Yes, you often see law enforcement do this but in my observations of this, they are not playing leap frog, they are moving forward and getting past the traffic. Again, with what I have observed by actually following a few law enforcement officers. They will often give the vehicle time to notice them and move over. But as we are all aware, that does not happen very often and if it does, it takes them a while to actually notice what's on their 6! This is due mostly to drivers driving like they have blinders on, only paying attention to what's in front of them. On that note, I've seen quite a few riders with this same mentality.

To be honest I think you are opening yourself up to the same scrutiny as the driver, as technically you were riding outside the guidelines and probably wouldn't get much sympathy with sharing publicly. In fact, he actually gave you a wide berth when he passed you, vice how close you were when you passed him.

Let the flame war begin...
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline Parc Ferme

« Reply #6 on: 07/15/16 12:12PM »
Got a question for you all, let's say I captured an example of dangerous driving on video, with license plate clearly visible. Should I bother submitting it to authorities, or is it just a waste of time? Does anyone know an example of someone being punished or warned based on video evidence submitted by third party?

It happened this morning: someone apparently got mad at me for lanesplitting and they passed me on the left in HOV lane. Not a big deal, just shook my head and went ahead, but I wonder if in the future if something like this happens, do I need to bother and report shit like this to police.

1. Do you really want to live in a state where what you are proposing happens?  Someone delivers video "evidence" to the police and then the next thing they knock on your door at 5am and arrest you?  I'm no expert but I'm pretty good at video editing and I'll bet that if I followed you around for a week with a video camera I could edit something together that would get you arrested and/or shot.

2. The police can do nothing about an event that they have not witnessed.  This is why Police Reports are almost always disallowed as "evidence" in a trial because a PD Report is just the Officer writing things down that other people tell him/her (i.e., inadmissible hearsay)

3. If you are so inclined you can try to sue the guy in civil court for Assault and/or Vehicular Assault (if there is such a thing)

hubcap diamond star halo girl lord flatbed ford beans heart fart

Offline slipgatecentral

« Reply #7 on: 07/15/16 12:53PM »
I'm just going to throw this out there. What is the difference between when you passed him and when he passed you?

From what I am seeing you crossed over the lines and/or are riding on them for a while. For one, this is unsafe and two, is also not lane sharing. Unfortunately the lane sharing guidelines were removed from the CHP website but in the guidelines it stated that you should be within the lane when passing i.e. Sharing the lane, not riding on or crossing over the line(s) to do so. Note that the space between the yellow lines is NOT a lane for motorcycles.

Yes, you often see law enforcement do this but in my observations of this, they are not playing leap frog, they are moving forward and getting past the traffic. Again, with what I have observed by actually following a few law enforcement officers. They will often give the vehicle time to notice them and move over. But as we are all aware, that does not happen very often and if it does, it takes them a while to actually notice what's on their 6! This is due mostly to drivers driving like they have blinders on, only paying attention to what's in front of them. On that note, I've seen quite a few riders with this same mentality.

To be honest I think you are opening yourself up to the same scrutiny as the driver, as technically you were riding outside the guidelines and probably wouldn't get much sympathy with sharing publicly. In fact, he actually gave you a wide berth when he passed you, vice how close you were when you passed him.

Let the flame war begin...

Nothing to flame on, really. I don't strictly follow 'rules' 100% of the time, my primary goal is to make a safe maneuver, and the last thing I care about is if I crossed yellow line or not.

However this thing caught me off guard, as I didn't give any reason for it. Wasn't riding aggressively, wasn't 'leapfrogging' or revbombing  anyone.

I'm sure one of guys from this channel would escalate this to a proper, beautiful road rage, but I wasn't motivated enough to even flip them off.

Offline slipgatecentral

« Reply #8 on: 07/15/16 12:55PM »
1. Do you really want to live in a state where what you are proposing happens?  Someone delivers video "evidence" to the police and then the next thing they knock on your door at 5am and arrest you?  I'm no expert but I'm pretty good at video editing and I'll bet that if I followed you around for a week with a video camera I could edit something together that would get you arrested and/or shot.

I was under the impression we already have this happening, no? SWAT raids based solely on anonimous phone calls, or police shootings after someone 'thought they saw someone waving a gun'.

2. The police can do nothing about an event that they have not witnessed.  This is why Police Reports are almost always disallowed as "evidence" in a trial because a PD Report is just the Officer writing things down that other people tell him/her (i.e., inadmissible hearsay)

Yeah that what I was wondering, thanks for explaining.

3. If you are so inclined you can try to sue the guy in civil court for Assault and/or Vehicular Assault (if there is such a thing)

I don't care, fuсk him/her, I was just curious how those cases are handled.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #9 on: 07/15/16 01:07PM »

This...  I've personally watched CHP pull over a motorcyclist whom was riding in the same manner you were, straddling the line.  When this happened a couple of years ago, I saw the CHP rushing from behind with lights and siren and thought he was pulling me over, but the LEO pulled the motorcyclist in front of me over.

I'd advise committing to riding in the right of center portion of the lane (this positions you to filter past slower traffic as needed), but at the same time leaving no room for a car to squeeze by.  Your lane positioning, much like body language, will dictate how others act and react...
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline HyperKev

« Reply #10 on: 07/15/16 01:17PM »
Yes he crossed the double yellow to pass but in the end everyone here as motorcyclists should know the car did a dick move bottom line.  In California motorcyclists ride the double yellow all the time.  Everyday you see it.  Not everyday do you see a car pass like they did on a motorcyclist.  If we hit a car more than likely the driver and their passengers will be ok but on the opposite end if the car hit the motorcycle its his life.  I agree you cant do anything about it but on human principle that car is an ass.  Just my .02

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #11 on: 07/15/16 02:06PM »
Yes he crossed the double yellow to pass but in the end everyone here as motorcyclists should know the car did a dick move bottom line.  In California motorcyclists ride the double yellow all the time.  Everyday you see it.  Not everyday do you see a car pass like they did on a motorcyclist.  If we hit a car more than likely the driver and their passengers will be ok but on the opposite end if the car hit the motorcycle its his life.  I agree you cant do anything about it but on human principle that car is an ass.  Just my .02
Personally I don't see a dick move by the car, he gave plenty of room and passed in a safe manner in my book. Is his crossing over the left line MORE illegal or wrong than the rider crossing two to three lines? What I'm hearing is that there is a double standard. It's OK for a motorcyclist to cross over double lines and pass cars in their space but if a car does it, he's a dick. Where I draw the line with cars is when the willfully cross the double yellows to enter or exit the lane, as this is not only illegal and unsafe but it shows a blatant disregard for others on the road.

Bottom line, straddling the line(s), crossing the line(s) is again not only unsafe but is considered unsafe by the CHP and taking into account TC's story, it kind of proves my point. If you like riding on the lines make sure your very good at braking or make sure your ABS is up to snuff, particularly if it's wet out.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline Parc Ferme

« Reply #12 on: 07/15/16 02:14PM »
I was under the impression we already have this happening, no? SWAT raids based solely on anonimous phone calls, or police shootings after someone 'thought they saw someone waving a gun'.

you didn't answer the question. do you want to live in a state where this happens?
hubcap diamond star halo girl lord flatbed ford beans heart fart

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #13 on: 07/15/16 02:45PM »
Is his crossing over the left line MORE illegal or wrong than the rider crossing two to three lines?

Driving on the shoulder (as was done by the vehicle) is explicitly illegal. Passing on the shoulder even more so. Lanesplitting, using the space between double yellows, would be a judgement call by the officer witnessing the act.

Slipgate, the police say call in hazardous driving. If you think the driver is a danger to others, drop back and make a 911 call while following at a safe distance. Explain what you are doing, why, and that you have a video. If the cops are able to, they will come and pull over the vehicle, at which point you can either sign a statement or hand over your video.

But I don't think they would be able to do anything after the fact.

Offline slipgatecentral

« Reply #14 on: 07/15/16 03:08PM »

you didn't answer the question. do you want to live in a state where this happens?

I already live in a state where this happens to certain extent, and considering i came here willingly then yeah, I guess I do.

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #15 on: 07/15/16 03:19PM »
The driver was being a nice guy by going out of his way to give you room. You passed him then stopped passing cars leaving a gap the car would have been in had you not passed him so you got passed. Protect your lane or be prepared to share it. Car could have not left his lane and passed you and still not have done anything wrong.

Your safety is up to you and no one else, don't ride in a way that gives control of the situation to anyone else.  In this situation move more to the center of the lane or continue splitting.

"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline slipgatecentral

« Reply #16 on: 07/15/16 04:42PM »
The driver was being a nice guy by going out of his way to give you room. You passed him then stopped passing cars leaving a gap the car would have been in had you not passed him so you got passed. Protect your lane or be prepared to share it. Car could have not left his lane and passed you and still not have done anything wrong.

Your safety is up to you and no one else, don't ride in a way that gives control of the situation to anyone else.  In this situation move more to the center of the lane or continue splitting.

He was being a nice guy until he wasn't.

Look at the right mirror - they were keeping a distance for a few seconds, then shoulder opened and he immediately proceed to overtake. To prove something, to teach me a lesson? No idea. I did not enjoy that because it was unnecessary and uncalled for. Not to mention dangerous.

Offline Sean-DP

• 749cc
  • Sean-DP's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: S1000R + Yamaha Star Bolt + Vespa 946
  • Years Riding: 2013
« Reply #17 on: 07/15/16 06:23PM »
To prove something, to teach me a lesson? No idea. I did not enjoy that because it was unnecessary and uncalled for. Not to mention dangerous.

You really have no idea why he'd want to pass you? I don't condone his actions but they are perfectly understandable. You passed him and then beginning around 0:25 you started to slow down and let the cushion between you & the car ahead get larger and larger. Why bother passing someone if you're just going to lollygag after doing so?  Then you are shocked that he'd want to re-pass you? Next time keep it moving and you'll never have to worry about getting passed by a Volt.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #18 on: 07/15/16 07:55PM »
Agree with Sean's assessment above, and another thing to remember, never underestimate the instant torque of an electric vehicle, the same goes for turbo-diesels be it a VW-Audi-Porsche product, a BMW, or the smaller pick-ups and Jeep's with 'em.  Both can accelerate at a decent clip from 50-80mph...
Every day is ride to work day!

mbstr

« Reply #19 on: 07/15/16 08:38PM »
No offense Slipgate but we as riders develop a "Sense of entitlement" being able to split lanes n such the advice being givin here is from some very experienced and STILL ALIVE older riders please don't take their posts the wrong way ;)I can only add NEVER let your tail be vulnerable especially to a hipster in a 2000lb EV hopped up on Starbucks this is California traffic nobody gives a shit ya cant take it personal.
« Last Edit: 07/15/16 08:45PM by RdTodd »

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 66 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook