Topic: Some Honda Goldwings added to Takata Airbag fiasco  (Read 1565 times)

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
So, in shopping for a vehicle to replace the Fiat 500e at the end of it's lease, I bumped my noise on the Takata Airbag issue - a car I wanted to look at was unavailable as the dealer that had just gotten it in on trade-in had "pulled the pin" so to speak... and the car is NLA until the recall repair is available...

This lead to additional research, and lo-and-behold...

Quote from: American Honda
Approximately 2,700 Honda Gold Wing motorcycles with optional airbags installed will also be recalled to replace Takata non-desiccated airbag inflator modules

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/news-updates/statement-by-american-honda-regarding-expanded-recall-of-takata-non-desiccated-passenger-front-airbag-inflators/

Goldwing owners might consider checking their VIN, and parking the touring bike until it can be repaired later this summer if it's on the list...

Scott

Re: Some Honda Goldwings added to Takata Airbag fiasco
« Reply #1 on: 06/14/16 10:57PM »
How do you like that 500? Fun? Good gas mileage? POS?

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/15/16 08:00AM »
How do you like that 500? Fun? Good gas mileage? POS?
Fun as hell. Gas? We leased the electric... No gas... Range per charge is 90 miles, it's cheap if you can charge at home, but if you have to use public network charges with fees, it gets really expensive. Since we are having to move, we are looking at alternative possibilities, and either getting out of the lease early or storing the car for the last few months of the lease. It's a great vehicle for commuting, quick as snot off the line, and handles well for its weight. But it's not for apartment dwellers unless you have a  garage with outlets and/or 220 access.

Offline Parc Ferme

« Reply #3 on: 06/17/16 08:34AM »
ill never buy a new car again

everybody driving around with a bunch of bombs inside the car super close to everybody's melons? 

no.

classic/vintage all the way.  no computers, no airbags, i can work on every part of the vehicle myself with normal tools.

so.... anybody have a 69 C10 SWB for sale?
hubcap diamond star halo girl lord flatbed ford beans heart fart

Scott

« Reply #4 on: 06/17/16 06:40PM »
One of those bombs saved my melon a few years back. I would rather have one than not. Love classic cars though!

Offline Parc Ferme

« Reply #5 on: 06/17/16 09:32PM »
One of those bombs saved my melon a few years back. I would rather have one than not. Love classic cars though!

just curious are you aware of the exact problem with the takata airbags?
hubcap diamond star halo girl lord flatbed ford beans heart fart

Scott

« Reply #6 on: 06/18/16 09:18PM »
I think everything actually. A few years back, I remember hearing they would blow out pieces of shrapnel when they went off, along with chunks of burning gun powder (or whatever they technically use) landing on passengers and leaving severe burns (like burn deep holes into their faces type stuff). Lately I think the reports also include they're duds and don't go off at all. So ya, basically everything that could be wrong with them is wrong with them.

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/20/16 07:43AM »

It seems to be a passenger-side only issue, where the explosive used breaks down over time. This breakdown results in a more energetic explosion than designed, with the most common effects being (in order of number of occurrences both in testing and in reported):
1) Faster than designed deployment of airbag
2) Possible rupturing of the bag
3) Possible failure of an internal part resulting in shrapnel being discharged.

The third being, of course, of the greatest danger...

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #8 on: 06/20/16 09:25AM »

It seems to be a passenger-side only issue, where the explosive used breaks down over time. This breakdown results in a more energetic explosion than designed, with the most common effects being (in order of number of occurrences both in testing and in reported):

That unfortunately is not true, its the driver as well as the passenger side air bags in many vehicles. Both my honda civic and my wife toyota yaris were recalled for both air bags. The even more disturbing thing is that I have had both air bags replaced twice and the driver side a third time due to recalls on the replacement air bags as well. I would think that using a compressed air or CO2 cylinder would be safer that using combustibles.

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/20/16 10:40AM »

That unfortunately is not true, its the driver as well as the passenger side air bags in many vehicles. Both my honda civic and my wife toyota yaris were recalled for both air bags. The even more disturbing thing is that I have had both air bags replaced twice and the driver side a third time due to recalls on the replacement air bags as well. I would think that using a compressed air or CO2 cylinder would be safer that using combustibles.

Thanks for the correction - I was only aware that there was a recall on passenger side bags.

Note that this recall is also not limited to Honda, but crosses many makes...

Scott

« Reply #10 on: 06/20/16 03:41PM »
The danger with using compressed air would be a slow leak; were an explosive is always there (in theory). I guess you could change the CO2 at certain intervals, but you know it would come down to, "I can't really afford the $500 right now. We'll do that next time."

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06/20/16 03:46PM »
I think it's a matter of speed - compressed gas expands to fill the bag at certain rates, depending on the gas used, and surrounding temperatures. A small amount of stable explosive expands much faster, and is tune-able for rate of inflation. The problem with the Takata bags is that the explosive charge used wasn't as stable as they designed.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 45 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything