Topic: Jim Hyde on motorcycle licensing in US  (Read 718 times)

Offline slipgatecentral

Jim Hyde on motorcycle licensing in US
« on: 08/05/16 03:31PM »
scroll to 19:20 mark,
I agree, when I remember myself fresh out of MSF school I think it's a miracle I didn't wreck in first 2 weeks.
Maybe I didn't die thanks to Jeff and his skillzdays
But my question is - if MSF basic course won't give in and not going to improve their atrocious program, why is it so hard to find a riding school that works on improving riding skills?
Is there really no demand for it, or California is special in this?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HMZKnHJxsTY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HMZKnHJxsTY</a>

whole interview is very interesting and worth watching

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
Re: Jim Hyde on motorcycle licensing in US
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/16 03:51PM »
In short...

The vast majority of riders have egos that won't permit them to seek further training.  They're "already good" if you ask them (and I've asked many).  I was the same way until I began racing, a friend died, and I realized that I could/can always suck less as a rider.

I have no idea why MSF won't make changes to what they do.  I know what I'd change, but I ain't them.

If you could post a link to the video that isn't imbedded, I'd appreciate it.  My computer hides imbeds.

Thanks for living, too.  That was the point of the exercise.  ;)

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #2 on: 08/05/16 04:01PM »
scroll to 19:20 mark,
I agree, when I remember myself fresh out of MSF school I think it's a miracle I didn't wreck in first 2 weeks.
Maybe I didn't die thanks to Jeff and his skillzdays
But my question is - if MSF basic course won't give in and not going to improve their atrocious program, why is it so hard to find a riding school that works on improving riding skills?
Is there really no demand for it, or California is special in this?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HMZKnHJxsTY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HMZKnHJxsTY</a>

whole interview is very interesting and worth watching
Lee Parks took over for MSF, as they lost the contract for providing rider training program in California. I believe it's now CMSP (California Motorcyclist Safety Program). Although I never took the MSF course, I did attend the Total Control class that Parks also still runs. It was a great class and had lots of useful lessons and information. From what I recall hearing, they took some of what is taught in the TC class and brought it over to the CMSP.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline slipgatecentral

« Reply #3 on: 08/05/16 04:07PM »

Lee Parks took over for MSF, as they lost the contract for providing rider training program in California. I believe it's now CMSP (California Motorcyclist Safety Program). Although I never took the MSF course, I did attend the Total Control class that Parks also still runs. It was a great class and had lots of useful lessons and information. From what I recall hearing, they took some of what is taught in the TC class and brought it over to the CMSP.

1.5 years ago I tried researching on Lee Parks replacing MSF and couldn't find any solid info. Has anything changed since then?

My wife also took an MSF school few months ago in Saddleback ranch, and from her words it was the same basic course with low standards.

Jeff, here's the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZKnHJxsTY

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #4 on: 08/05/16 04:13PM »
Thanks, Vadim.

I agree with him, but then you knew that... 

And...

Nowadays I ride with people from other countries!

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #5 on: 08/05/16 04:19PM »

1.5 years ago I tried researching on Lee Parks replacing MSF and couldn't find any solid info. Has anything changed since then?

My wife also took an MSF school few months ago in Saddleback ranch, and from her words it was the same basic course with low standards.

Jeff, here's the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZKnHJxsTY
Other than speaking to the man himself at Laguna Seca WSBK race last year, I don't know if there is any info on the web. I can say that the CMSP shared the same booth as Lee's at the event.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #6 on: 08/06/16 12:08AM »
spent 6 year riding dirt and the dunes before riding on the street as well as only ever owning a manual transmission car. I think that the requirements to get a drivers license are ridiculous and the same goes for a motorcycle license.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 42 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything