Topic: Project '07 CBR1000RR - Codename: Moneypit  (Read 5582 times)

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
Project '07 CBR1000RR - Codename: Moneypit
« on: 07/07/09 07:48PM »
So, I got the garage setup this weekend to actually be able to work. Shelving, organized, but tools still in boxes. That's temporary until I get some more stuff taken care of and the room.

On to the build:

Day 1: First things first. Got a mount in the rafters of the garage for a cable for the chain hoist. Chain hoist is up, next is hoist remnants of the bike.

As a recap, This was the bike as it sat when I bought it:

In short, a mess.

So today:

I started with this:

And started a teardown. That's when the fun really got going. Tagged and bagged a lot of bolts, but had to chop through a few where the old broken frame was twisted and locked the bolts in.

Once I got the gas tank off, the radiator, exhaust, airbox, and managed to pry off the old cylinder head cover, I found THIS:

That part just happens to be not listed in the Ron Ayers fiche system. Great. I'm not sure the head is a go right now anyway, and might need to be replaced. I can buy a bone stock one for $700 right from Service Honda, same place I got the replacement frame from.

Got the airpod filters out. I think they'll buff right out.......

Now that the first day I DW is finished, this is the result:

This is the bike in amongst my other babies.

Notice my 695 in front, the SS and the GS500 on stands. The GS is legal now. Cost me a cool $400 to get that done. Still under $1000 so far for a currently running bike!

Next, I need to find a small skid to mount the engine to for storage and repair. I have no idea what to do but a few ideas have popped in my head.

1: HRC piston kit and an overbore

2: Turbo kit

3: Supercharger

No, it isn't an either/or, it's a 1&2 or a 1&3. (or 1,2 &3, what the hell..) Both supercharger and turbo run about $3000 each, so it's a wash.Build the engine right and I could be looking at about 240+ RWHP!

Right now I need to do some shopping for a cylinder head. I have a replacement for everything else but that.

More to come......
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
Re: Project '07 CBR1000RR - Codename: Moneypit
« Reply #1 on: 07/23/09 02:05PM »
Day 2: The engine is out and the bike is disassembled. The impact was hard enough to bend the damn bolts holding the engine in. I checked the threads on the block, and they seem cool. The engine is on a home made roller I made out of a floor dolly and a sheet of 1/2" laminated pine sheet. I cut the pine board to fit the top of the dolly, drywall screwed it to the dolly top, which left a 1/2" gap between the dolly side rails and the board. I drilled two 5/8" holes 3/4" from the edge dead center of the top plate and used a strap hooked through the holes to hold it in place. I might try and set up and angle iron support and bolt it down for more stability.

Got a pile of parts to see what's good and what's not:

A busted frame good for selling to the recycler:

And the obligatory oil spill from truning the engine over to get it out of the bent frame:

Now that it's apart and off, next up is replace the head, which arrived last night. No head bolts, but looks great. Not a mark on it. The thought to replace the caps only, which the head bolts go through did cross my mind, but then better sense said use all the matching parts and not risk it. I can always part the head out on fleabay and get a few bucks back. I've also done some reading on guys using an '04 head because they put out a few more ponies even bone stock. For right now, just running is good enough for me.
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook