Topic: A day at Laguna Seca  (Read 561 times)

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
A day at Laguna Seca
« on: 11/04/16 01:59PM »
After seeing several races at Laguna Seca, I've always wanted to ride that track myself and Wednesday was finally the day!  I've done a few mini moto track days in the meantime but this was my first "big" track day.  I was there with Keigwins and rented a race prepped Ninja 300 from Feel Like a Pro.  I ran in the B- group since I figured I would probably get run over by the bigger bikes.  Boy, was I ever wrong!  That lil' Ninja is an absolute gem on the track; the corner speed you can carry on that thing is incredible!  I passed many of the bigger bikes and even lapped a few of the slower riders LOL

A few notes on the track:
* Not known to be a super grippy track, so you definitely want hot tires.  There were several crashes in the first session of the day, so best to keep the speed for the afternoon (or until the pavement gets warm);
* Trickiest corner: turn 3!  It seems like a simple and easy corner but it is flat as a pancake and feels tighter than it is; very easy to run wide, so turn in late!  Turn 6 can also be tricky: a little bumpy which can compromise grip and catch you off guard on cold tires (I found out the hard way at the end of the day)
* Fastest corner: has got to be turn 9.  It's the first left hander after the corkscrew and you can absolutely nail it through there since it's slightly banked.  I actually passed both an R1 and Ducati in that turn with room to spare LOL

If any of you ever consider going to Laguna, DO IT!  It's absolutely incredible!!  And don't hesitate to run a small bike; you can ride it to the limit and have a blast passing faster bikes :)

A few pics:

Racing up the hill.   That was still early in the day; later on I was in full tuck mode throttle pinned till well over the hill  ;D

Passing big brother Ninja.  (I think he was on a grocery run instead of a track session :) ).

Heading down the corkscrew

Bye bye Duc :)

Offline FJ_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FJ_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 FJ09
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
Re: A day at Laguna Seca
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/16 02:55PM »
Congratulations!  I did my first track day there on Keith Code's school bike in 1991.  Love love love that track.  I raced there with AMA in 95 and 96 and I can't remember which year it was, but I got speed raped by Miguel DuHamel and Mike Hale in the Corkscrew; one on either side.  I think Miguel was on the inside riding the curb to get around me.  Scared the S out of me.  They had already gapped the field so much the rest of the fast guys didn't come by right away.   :3:
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
Re: A day at Laguna Seca
« Reply #2 on: 11/04/16 03:31PM »
Congratulations!  I did my first track day there on Keith Code's school bike in 1991.  Love love love that track.  I raced there with AMA in 95 and 96 and I can't remember which year it was, but I got speed raped by Miguel DuHamel and Mike Hale in the Corkscrew; one on either side.  I think Miguel was on the inside riding the curb to get around me.  Scared the S out of me.  They had already gapped the field so much the rest of the fast guys didn't come by right away.   :3:

Haha, that's awesome!!  And yea, it would be scary to have TWO guys pass you in the corkscrew.  There isn't a whole lot of room there.  I loved the bottom part of that turn; you can get hard on the throttle and just get pushed into the pavement.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 29 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything