Topic: First impressions  (Read 1031 times)

Offline FZ1_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FZ1_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FE 501
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
First impressions
« on: 11/07/16 08:18PM »
Last week I bought a used FJ09.  Its already been flashed, but is otherwise mostly stock.  I'm thrilled with the engine.  The 850 triple has the high RPM power I love in an in line four, with the low RPM torque I have always felt that platform lacks.  The chassis seems to turn well, wheelie well, and the ergonomics are comfy.  The brakes don't seem like top shelf items, but perform well with a firm hand.  I may try a pad upgrade, but not yet.

I was lane splitting in San Francisco Saturday; Sunday morning I removed the wind guards, some of the stickers, and carefully measured and adjusted sag and took a guess at best dampening settings.  I got my gear on (AFFATT) and took off with the bike in A mode, TCS off to see if I could enjoy a long canyon ride. The bike did in fact work a little bit better.  Smooth pavement sections were really fun, this engine ripps, and I enjoyed the bike a lot.  The bumpy sections still made me miserable, but armed with the fun I had on the bike I did more suspension research and today bit the bullet and ordered suspension solutions front and rear.  I'm getting tires this week, and the suspension should be installed the following week or so.  At this point I'm thrilled with the bike and looking forward to the plush and planted feeling that should take my enjoyment of this great motorcycle to the next level.

More to follow :)

« Last Edit: 11/07/16 09:16PM by FJ_Chris »
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
Re: First impressions
« Reply #1 on: 11/08/16 08:47AM »

Very cool!  Didn't realize it was a triple; that probably gives it a bit more character than your typical inline Jap 4.  These types of bikes are definitely becoming more popular; I think people realize they get 85% of the sport bike performance with twice the comfort and practicality.  I've only ridden the Multistrada (which I really liked) and a friend of mine raves about his S1000XR.

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #2 on: 11/09/16 11:20AM »
Nice review, I'm a fan of the FZ-07 as a town/first bike. Like luciano posted I loved the Multi but not in the current budget. Thought the FZ's were fun, then rode an Aprillia Tuono, EYES OPEN!
« Last Edit: 11/09/16 11:21AM by RedRider4Life »

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/16 11:22AM »

Yea, the Tuono is the next one on my list now that my Daytona is sold.

Nice review, I'm a fan of the FZ-07 as a town/first bike. Like luciano posted I loved the Multi but not in the current budget. Thought the FZ's were fun, then rode an Aprillia Tuono, EYES OPEN!

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #4 on: 11/14/16 12:31PM »
Chris, if you happen to bump into the Looneys (Real and Carrie, and yes, his name IS "Real Looney") while up there on BARF tell Carrie I said "Hi!" :)

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 34 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook