Linked Events   |   1 Attendees

Topic: GMR Saturday  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
GMR Saturday
« on: 04/25/17 03:03PM »
Got all the gear you need, and itching to ride/break it in? 

Who?  All are welcome, faster riders in front.

When?  9a, KSU 9:15a, lunch optional, and you'll be back home by 1-2p at latest

Where?  Shell, 1860 E Rte 66, Glendora (at corner of Lone Hill and Rte 66).   

Recommended full gear, safety first.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
Re: GMR Saturday
« Reply #1 on: 04/27/17 07:33PM »
TC, I plan to ride to the Salton Sea this Saturday to explore Bombay Beach.  Have a fun ride and enjoy that new BMW! 

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
« Reply #2 on: 04/27/17 08:43PM »
Have fun and good idea, before it gets too hot.  Watch for high winds, my wife left Vegas today and her flight was bumpy coming home!

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #3 on: 04/27/17 10:44PM »
Having spent the last 2 or 3 rides on GMR thinking of joining Rogue, also wondering assuming the wind picks up will they close GMR this weekend?
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/28/17 12:52PM »
I was referring to winds in the desert, LA DPW shows open roads, and the forecast shows for calmer winds in Glendora.  High of 85 though...  :o

Offline Scblacksunshine

« Reply #5 on: 04/30/17 06:32PM »
Went up there today...geez talk about cyclist take over all entire GMR...I haven't been up there for a while but the cyclist is now totally taking over the entire road without feeling the need to move over to the side when a car or motorcycle is behind them..totally ridiculous

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/30/17 08:33PM »
Same deal yesterday: Cyclists seem to be the opposite of the general public, about 10% are decent and move over, the remainder are reckless or don't care.  :26:  The bonus, I think I spotted 3 cars on the entire ride and none were playing Fast & Furious!

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/30/17 08:49PM »
Yeah cyclists seem to be holding their ground lately.
So TC hows do you like the new S1000R on the twisty's?

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #8 on: 05/01/17 08:05AM »
only possible solutions are getting up there real early and investing in a train horn for the bike.  that might encourage them to share more readily.
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline Scblacksunshine

« Reply #9 on: 05/01/17 08:20AM »
Train horn? I like that idea  :D I don't get these cyclists, I hope they do realize riding in the middle of the road on a blind corner or just refuse to move over when a car or motorcycle behind them is a no win proposition for them, a fast moving car or motorcycle will cause more damage to them compare to the other way around. I guess it's just a sense of entitlement of these cyclists on GMR...perhaps someone need to remind them they have more to lose just like the video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/01/17 08:46AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQ0Jrc05rIo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EQ0Jrc05rIo</a>

Sam Harris

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/01/17 10:23AM »
Yeah cyclists seem to be holding their ground lately.
So TC hows do you like the new S1000R on the twisty's?

On the very first hairpin the back end slid a little, but was probably due to the newer tires.  I eased up turning speeds going up, and eventually adjusted the DDC to "hard", this allowed the suspension to be firm with plenty of feedback being transmitted to the handlebar, but not so much that mid corner bumps would upset the chassis or my line.  I then adjusted the DDC to "soft" on the way home, and floated over expansion joints like a Cadillac.  8)

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #12 on: 05/02/17 09:17AM »

I like all those canyon roads but would only do them on a week day. Just not enjoyable when crowded.

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05/02/17 02:09PM »

I like all those canyon roads but would only do them on a week day. Just not enjoyable when crowded.

Just plain untrue, sure cyclist can be annoying but to make the whole ride not enjoyable come on. Most time you have to just go wide around them on occasion you come up on them and a turn is wasted. In the 40 or so miles up to the lake on a BAD day you may adjust a turn or have to go out of your way not to hit someone 3 or 4 time and make a minor adjustment another 5 times thats on a very bad day. Relax and live and let live these encounters added up can't be more than a minute or two out of 2 and 1/2 hours of canyon riding can't possibly make the whole ride unenjoyable.   

Sam Harris

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05/02/17 05:36PM »
There's nothing wrong with enjoying a ride on the weekend. A lot of us don't have a choice. I just find myself trying to go on an empty week day or do a quick track day on the mini :)

Sat traffic also seem pretty miserable these days.

Just plain untrue, sure cyclist can be annoying but to make the whole ride not enjoyable come on. Most time you have to just go wide around them on occasion you come up on them and a turn is wasted. In the 40 or so miles up to the lake on a BAD day you may adjust a turn or have to go out of your way not to hit someone 3 or 4 time and make a minor adjustment another 5 times thats on a very bad day. Relax and live and let live these encounters added up can't be more than a minute or two out of 2 and 1/2 hours of canyon riding can't possibly make the whole ride unenjoyable.   

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05/02/17 08:13PM »
There's nothing wrong with enjoying a ride on the weekend. A lot of us don't have a choice. I just find myself trying to go on an empty week day or do a quick track day on the mini :)

That is why I scheduled the ride at 9a, I would have started earlier, but didn't want to discourage any last-minute confirmations. 

Traffic was light heading north and most folks were going the opposite direction towards the beach.  With that said, there were a few cyclists, but there was never a need to go into the opposite lane, and the lack of cagers made for a relatively easy ride.

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
« Reply #16 on: 05/02/17 08:45PM »

I won't argue with you on the amount of car traffic out there on weekends.  In the last 5-7 years I've noticed a dramatic increase in our freeways.  I've also started to notice more and more groups of cars driving for fun on GMR, Palomar, ACH, etc.  Just look at all the traffic on the 5 freeway nowadays.  Same with any other SoCal freeways on weekends it seems.  I can go on and on.  It's worse at peak hours of the weekend....after 9am and as late as 3pm.  It sucks bad if you drive a fast car or ANY car.  It's much better on a bike only because we can split lanes. 

I was just having this discussion with OOTV and thePretender.  I recently spent a weekend in Chandler AZ and the density of cars in AZ is so much less than SoCal.  I would pull out onto a major intersection in city of 230k people and there would be at most 5-10 cars at a time.  There is no congestion in the freeways most times.  We've just gotten conditioned to expect traffic in SoCal that we don't think much of the congestion unless it's really bad.  But it has become REALLY bad.  It's only "better" when compared to New York city, San Francisco, maybe Asia.  LOL! 

However, as long as you choose to live here you shouldn't let that stop you from riding on weekends.  I know its "painful" when you have 160 rwhp......Heheh.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05/02/17 09:10PM »

Exactly, traffic has gotten really bad the last couple of years. I miss the post crash days in 09-10 :D I guess part of it is commuting daily in heavy traffic. By the time the weekend rolls around, I really do not want to see any more of it LOL

Anyway, didn't mean to be critical. Kudos to throttle chopper for posting a ride because I certainly haven't :D

Offline Scblacksunshine

« Reply #18 on: 05/03/17 08:12AM »
Couldn't agree more traffic has gotten worse even on the weekend now for the last 5-10 yrs...I keep thinking the invention or Uber and Lyft probably didn't help with the traffic situation, plus overall population increase. When I worked in Santa Monica I remember seeing countless Uber cars just driving around during busy hours.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 63 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook