Linked Events   |   1 Attendees

Topic: Straight Talk with the CHP Public Hosted by Irv Seaver Motorcycles  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: A quiet red truck.
  • Years Riding: 37, Years Training Riders: 15
I don't miss watching out for the CHP and other agencies even when I was behaving. 

The state and local governments seem to have inspired a culture of fear there.

Ride on,

J~
The first step toward learning much is recognizing that you have much to learn.

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
Hot damn Bob! $800 is steep! I hope you beat that ticket! Yeah never pass a cop. I'm inclined to exit or turn off somewhere rather than follow a cop who's probably just itching to hand me an expensive ticket.

Offline DucMonster

• 125cc
  • DucMonster's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Triumph Thruxton, 2009 Yamaha FJR-1300, BMW R1200RT, Yamaha WR-426
  • Years Riding: 26
Here in my part of Orange County, I rarely see any Chippies on the 405 during my commute home.  I typically head home between 3:30 and 4:30 and it's been forever since I've seen a Chippie doing anything other than working at a crash.  I see a few city cops heading home, but even that's rare since I don't know any agencies that end a day-shift at those hours.  I've heard the CHP Santa Ana office is down on staffing over the last few years which is in line with my observations.  My commute is between Newport and Mission Viejo, short, but sweet.

Still curious how it came to $800.

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
Just a quick update.  :32: I beat that ticket using the Trial by Declaration process.  :31: I do not take this as a green light to drive on the double yellow or white lines of the HOV lanes though.  I may have just been written up for the wrong vehicle code violation.

We pay quite a bit to have courts and law enforcement. Both are there to serve the public good. We have every right to use them when we feel the case is wrong or weak or in my case trumped up. So don't just automatically assume the man with the badge is right. Every situation and every circumstance is different. They have good and bad days just like we do. 

Consider from the CHP web site:
Motorcycles:
Solo motorcyclists can use HOV lanes (and most HOT lanes) without a decal unless otherwise posted.  Motorcyclists cannot ride on, in, or over solid double lines.

99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline Sedan_Clan

I went.

Paul Fox was there, Vinnie wasn't.

Paul likes handing out cell phone tickets.

1) Don't be the fastest vehicle, and you probably won't get cited.
2) Under "normal" circumstances, he hardly ever gives speeding tickets for under 80.
3) If pulled over, stay on the bike. If you get off the bike, he'll probably be drawing his tazer while you are at it.
4) If possible, pick a wide shoulder, or even an exit to a parking lot as long as you don't "appear" to be running. I.E. - slow down, signal, and ride smooth to a safe place to stop.
5) If you run, expect a road block. They are switching over to H-D, with roughly a 100 mph top speed, and just call ahead while following.

This is somewhat of a scare tactic.  Motorcyclists often get away, even from our resident Motor FTO (...and he's a beast on the Kawasaki).  The HD's are slow and the officers hate them, just like they hate our new Chargers.  They were contracted in order to save money and reduce chases [because the bikes just don't provoke that type of behavior].  A competent (..and simultaneously irresponsible risk taking) rider can outrun any of the bikes.........up to, and including, the BMW.  The Kawi that some officers ride is probably the fastest in any of the CHP Motor fleets. 

With that said.......

....don't run.  IF caught, it won't work out well.  Just ask the guy who we finally caught on the 210 freeway who used to ride by Motor officers on a TC, rev his bike, and then speed off.  His fun ended at gunpoint!
« Last Edit: 09/25/17 10:42AM by Sedan_Clan »
BMW ///M Junkie!!!

Offline Sedan_Clan

Congrats on fighting the ticket and winning VFRCapt.Bob.
BMW ///M Junkie!!!

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
I don't want to encourage anyone to flee and evade a legal stop. Too risky. There are moments when I wish I had because the officer turned out to be a prick. But i will leave that choice up to you guys without being judgemental. Better to change your riding behavior to not attract attention then if you are pulled over do so and behave in a manner to put the officer at ease and in the best position to not cite you. Then if you are cited fight it if you think you stand a chance to win.
Arm youself with as much knowledge as you can on all these things. When you stand up for yourself and motorcycle rights everyone benifits. We aren't cars or trucks or what ever those 3 wheeled critters are.
« Last Edit: 09/26/17 08:50AM by VFRCapt.Bob »
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 38 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything