Topic: BMW Motorcycle Service Shop  (Read 727 times)

Offline axpark

BMW Motorcycle Service Shop
« on: 08/01/17 05:30PM »
Can someone recommend a good BMW motorcycle service shop?  Dealers seem to be charging arm-and-a-leg for any type of service.  I need to do an annual service for S1000rr with about 22,000 miles. 

Thanks.

Offline bkrochman

• 998cc
  • bkrochman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT - BMW R69 w/Ural S/C - Triumph Tiger - Kawasaki Versys - 73 Vespa 150 Super
  • Years Riding: Over 40 and not counting anymore
Re: BMW Motorcycle Service Shop
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/17 05:38PM »
Give Jim at OC Motorcycles in Costa Mesa a call. Service: (714)957-5775

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #2 on: 08/01/17 09:12PM »
I'd also call Mickey Cohen in Placentia, his techs are honest and they do great work: http://www.cohenmotorsports.com/index.html

Every day is ride to work day!

Offline calamari

• Devil's Advocate
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • calamari's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 KLR650
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #3 on: 08/02/17 05:35PM »
BMW is expensive to maintain. That being said, you can do everything at a normal shop excluding resetting the service light, and any warranty work.

Offline yup

« Reply #4 on: 08/06/17 04:32PM »
Chris (owner) @ Melrose Moto is an easy recommendation.

Super clear & fast communication, good prices, and great attention to detail. It's a small shop (for now) in Hollywood so if that's your area, reach out to him @ (323)366-1623

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #5 on: 08/08/17 12:04PM »
Escondido BMW has wrench monkey racers that race the S1K .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Offline axpark

« Reply #6 on: 08/09/17 08:03AM »
Thank you everyone for the help!

Offline testrider1

• 125cc
  • testrider1's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Yamaha FJR-1300A, ex-Honda CBR-1100XX
  • Years Riding: 20
« Reply #7 on: 08/10/17 10:33AM »
I personally think it should be against the laws for BMW to have the bike software turning on a service light and charge people to turn it off.  Imagine the smartphone that we all use turns on a flashing icon on the home screen every 3 months and we have to pay to shut it off.

How did BMW get away with this?

Yes, My car has the service light too but it's user resettable.
« Last Edit: 08/10/17 10:36AM by testrider1 »

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #8 on: 08/10/17 11:53AM »
I personally think it should be against the laws for BMW to have the bike software turning on a service light and charge people to turn it off.  Imagine the smartphone that we all use turns on a flashing icon on the home screen every 3 months and we have to pay to shut it off.

How did BMW get away with this?

Yes, My car has the service light too but it's user resettable.

It's not much different than buying a printer for really cheap, but then having to replace the ink that costs 1/3 the price of the printer, and only one manufacturer makes a compatible cartridge.  It's a money grab, and the razor industry was getting away doing the same until competitors got wiser.  You can buy a reset tool called the GS911 that will reset the light as well as perform diagnostics, but they're selling for $400 on Ebay.  Or you can post to various BMW forums and maybe someone local can let you borrow one for the price of a case of beer, it beats scheduling an appointment, waiting, and paying $50 to have the light reset.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Gone in 60

• 599cc
  • Gone in 60's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200R, Triumph Bonneville
  • Years Riding: 9 years
« Reply #9 on: 08/10/17 12:27PM »
I have a 911GS that I found used on Craig's List. They come up every now and then, and the models vary in price. The cheapest ones, like mine, are USB to a laptop, and have a limited number of bikes they can connect to before they are "used up". The more expensive ones use Bluetooth and don't have a limit of registered bikes. Much as I'd like to help, borrowing one of these would require registering your VIN to it, using up one of the available slots that are available for that tool. Mine was super cheap because only a few of the available VIN slots were still available when I bought it. If you can find a cheap used one, or find someone with one of the more expensive unlimited units, that might be a way to go. The tool does more than just clear the service light. It does all of the dealer diagnostics, and does a bleed-down on the ABS system so that you can change your own brake fluid, which is definitely verboten according to the dealer.

Granted, one of the reasons I have the tool is that my bike is 10 years old, way out of warranty, and I do all of my own maintenance. I really don't care that my official BMW log book isn't stamped by the dealer for every scheduled service it requires. Granted, I have a naked opposed twin, and most of the engine hangs out in the breeze where you can get to it. Changing fluids, checking valves, etc is a breeze on this thing, and I tend to do maintenance work more frequently than the schedule calls for. Parts for BMWs are expensive, and an ounce of prevention, yada yada.

That being said, if your bike is newer and still under warranty, it may be more important to you for warranty and resale if you can show that you've had the bike serviced at a BMW dealership or an authorized service shop. Anyone who shops for my bike if I ever decide to sell it will have to trust my Excel spreadsheet showing when I said I did all of the service.
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Offline axpark

« Reply #10 on: 08/11/17 08:21AM »
Anyone have experience getting work done at Riders Revelation in Costa Mesa?  They get great reviews in Yelp...

Offline Gone in 60

• 599cc
  • Gone in 60's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200R, Triumph Bonneville
  • Years Riding: 9 years
« Reply #11 on: 08/11/17 11:46PM »
Yes, would highly recommend.
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 47 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything