Topic: Ride: Saturday, September 2nd  (Read 1732 times)

Offline FastMoto

• 749cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
Ride: Saturday, September 2nd
« on: 08/21/17 10:43AM »
If you have Saturday, September 2nd open and looking to go on a long day ride, more than welcomed to join me on this.

https://goo.gl/maps/J1NU44U2Yo12

*Disclaimer: route may change based on traffic conditions and time. Also open to suggestions, especially for the route coming home.
**2nd Disclaimer: I use a GPS but I suck at following directions so may get lost once or twice.

Main goal is to get out of OC for a bit, try a hambuger/hot dog place that Rouge knows of in Ojai, and find a interesting way back home. Route above has the ride ending in Calabasas, route home will be traffic condition dependent.

KSU: 8:00AM, Los Alamitos Blvd and Katella, Shell Gas Station, off the 605FWY/Katella

« Last Edit: 08/28/17 09:27PM by FastMoto »

Online Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
Re: Ride: Saturday, September 2nd
« Reply #1 on: 08/21/17 12:30PM »
Holy smokes!  That's 477 miles in one day!  I'm tired thinking about it.  LOL!  My hat's off to you if you can pull it off in 8 hours.

I would like to join you part of the way.

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #2 on: 08/21/17 01:12PM »
Jalama beach and the ride up is nice. I used to be up in Ventura County and would ride up.  Bit far for my old bones now :(
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline FastMoto

• 749cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/21/17 03:39PM »
Holy smokes!  That's 477 miles in one day!  I'm tired thinking about it.  LOL!  My hat's off to you if you can pull it off in 8 hours.

I would like to join you part of the way.

Sure thing. Ride along as much as you desire. I have a bike that makes long days manageable, so it's not too bad....but 400+ miles/day is still 400+ miles/day, so no getting around that fact that it's a long day in the saddle. I haven't been able to ride much lately due to work travel so I try to make the most of it when I can.

Jalama beach and the ride up is nice. I used to be up in Ventura County and would ride up.  Bit far for my old bones now :(

Is the Jalama burger worth it? How would you rate it?

Offline eddiemon

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • eddiemon's Gallery
  • Unofficial OCMoto Photographer
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #4 on: 08/21/17 07:17PM »
4.5 rating, I say anything 4.0>=Great!  :)

Online Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/23/17 12:49PM »
Fastmoto, looking at your route shows it's a straight shot on the freeway all the way to Frazier Park, which is 100 miles of slab.  That's 125 miles from my house. 

Would you be open to diverting towards Hwy 14 to Sand Canyon/Bouquet Canyon around Lake Elizabeth, then Pine Canyon road to pick up the 5 right before Frazier Park?  It avoids a whole lot of freeway droning, the roads are empty, twisty, and interesting, but it adds 25 miles to your total mileage for the day.

If I can swing it, I would probably turn around after Hwy 33 in Ojai.  There is a great hot dog/burger place there on the quiet side of town that I'd like to re-visit.

Hell, I would propose doing your full ride as an overnighter and add more twisties!  That would be a ride for another outing!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #6 on: 08/23/17 11:04PM »
I have done 370+ miles in one day on a Vstrom 650 and that was pushing my limit...I stopped every 100 miles or so (well, I went to/from work in San Diego)...the wee Strom just doesn't have enough power to be comfortable on the interstate all day
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Online Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/24/17 08:13AM »
BD, I'm going to take a wild guess your VStrom 650 puts out 65-70 rwhp pushing along a sub-500 lbs. bike.

My DR650 puts out 45-50 rwhp (motor upgrades). My bike will easily cruise all day at 80 mph with enough power to pass up to 95.

Trust me. Your VStrom 650 with that liquid cooled Vtwin engine has plenty of power to cruise the freeways at 85+ all day everyday.

Offline FastMoto

• 749cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/24/17 08:26AM »
Rouge- No problem. Your proposal sounds good. I'll send up a updated route this weekend.

I try to fit in 1 multi-day trip a year, at the very least, I do a PCH weekend run up to San Fran’-ish and back, usually in early fall. Based on my travel schedule and other obligations, this year proving to be difficult. If I can muster the cold again and the weather is ok for it, I may do a Death Valley ride sometime between X-mas and New Years.

This whole work thing is really inconvenient and gets in the way of riding my motorcycle to far and interesting places.

Online Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #9 on: 08/24/17 03:44PM »
Great route!  I recently hit the 33 heading a couple of weeks ago on a moto-trip up to the Bay Area.  Fun route, and on a Friday afternoon I got stuck behind 2 cars and both pulled over at the first turnouts, and spotted a car going the opposite direction once every 20 minutes.  Not a very technical road, but it was relaxing and beats the Grapevine any day!  A bonus: it was recently re-paved and the road is smooth as a... Well you know!  ;)

As for touring on a mid-size ADV, I did 450 miles on the S1KR, and other than the cramped legs due to the sport position, it was a good bike to tour on.  The Wee should feel like a recliner compared to a naked bike, invest in a Throttle-Lock if you don't have one and you should be good.   
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #10 on: 08/25/17 11:44AM »
BD, I'm going to take a wild guess your VStrom 650 puts out 65-70 rwhp pushing along a sub-500 lbs. bike.

My DR650 puts out 45-50 rwhp (motor upgrades). My bike will easily cruise all day at 80 mph with enough power to pass up to 95.

Trust me. Your VStrom 650 with that liquid cooled Vtwin engine has plenty of power to cruise the freeways at 85+ all day everyday.

Yes sir, you are correct in that it is capable for sure...I do 80-90 cruising daily and pass above 100...but you literally have to pin it to get there slowly...I once tried to overtake a BMW to get out of the carpool lane and he very easily accelerated faster than me so I ended up braking to merge behind him

This bike would be perfect for me with 85hp...the 62 it carries for it's weight and big windscreen is just not enough to be fun...but on the other hand, can I ever be happy with a bike at my price point? I don't think so...
« Last Edit: 08/25/17 11:46AM by breakdirt916 »
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #11 on: 08/25/17 12:40PM »
Your price point would have gotten you a very lightly used VFR it's 100 ponies would have more than made you happy and 600 mile days would not have been a problem  :3:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Online Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08/25/17 12:54PM »
But he can't go offroad on a VFR.  LOL!

BD, it's all relative.  You're preaching to me and you have 20 rwhp more than my DR so although I understand you can't do some things on your DL650 that you can on your FZR600, I don't feel sorry for you!  LOL!

Kidding aside, I just accept the limitation on power with my DR650's.  I do understand your feelings.  Once the speeds get above 85 these smaller DS bikes run into a wall of wind and top end horsepower.  Today's SUV's , trucks, minivans, etc. will easily reach 115 mph without too much effort.  I"m going to bet your DL650's top speed is around 110!  My full size truck will hit 110 easily! 

Having said that, I don't spend much time above 85 on my DR650.  There's no need to. 

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #13 on: 08/25/17 03:21PM »
Looks like a good ride. Too bad I'll be in Fresno for a car show thing.  :13:

Offline FastMoto

• 749cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08/28/17 09:21PM »
I updated the route, along with starting location.

It will not be a 500/mile day as originally planned. I will save Jalama Burger Ride for some other time and will try Rouge's suggestion in Ojai.

Also, just checked the forecast for the valley....yup, gonna be warm. Bummer.
« Last Edit: 08/28/17 09:33PM by FastMoto »

Online Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08/29/17 12:59PM »
Here is one place we've tried in Ojai - Jolly Kone:
https://goo.gl/maps/6Y6QEYRqVgB2
It's located on the quieter side of Ojai and away from that dreadful Ojai Deer Lodge! LOL!
3.9 stars.

And then there's also this - O-Hi Frostie/Ojai Burgers:
https://goo.gl/maps/AL8afpn1EQm
4.5 stars!

Both open this Saturday.  I don't think we will be disappointed with all them Onion Rings and cold frosty shakes!

C'mon OCMOTO.  Who in here likes to ride? 

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
« Reply #16 on: 08/29/17 01:05PM »
Oh man, I picked up an R1100RT last week and this would be a great first long ride.  I'll have to check with the old lady and see if we have any plans this Saturday.  I'm a maybe for this ride.

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #17 on: 09/01/17 08:50AM »
I have to say, I'm only half surprised not many takers on this ride. If I didn't have to do some prepping for my trip this week, this would be a ride that suits my taste.

Although it may be on the warmer side of hot weather, having the right gear can make a world difference. If this is what is keeping some of you away, look to spend a few bucks on some cooling gear, you'd be surprised how much it can make a difference.

For those who think that a holiday weekend is the worse time for ridng, think again, many of the trips Rouge and I have done with almost no traffic, have been on holiday weekends. Most drivers are looking to get out of Dodge on Friday and postpone their return at the last minute on Monday.

Oh yeah, the length is nothing, even on a sport bike. Repsol has done this same ride and similar length rides on his CBR1000. Taking breaks and staying hydrated is the key to comfort.

Anyway, have a good ride you guys. Ride safe and enjoy!
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Online Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09/01/17 11:20AM »
I think there are two definite attendees, and two maybe.

It seems people in OCMOTO don't get out much.  We're all too busy doing our own stuff.  Or, membership & participation has degenerated over the years.   All of the above probably.

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
« Reply #19 on: 09/01/17 02:52PM »
I have to agree with Rogue here.  From what I've seen on the forum side of things, there is almost no participation on this site.  Maybe there aren't enough members/users, maybe people don't really care.  I don't know, but I don't see participation from users as being a priority here. 

That's a topic for a different thread on a different day though. 

In any rate, I am going to pass on this ride, it's simply too hot for me and my gear.  I need to get some legitimate warm weather gear before i can commit to that long of a ride.

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 64 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything