Topic: Weird question- new glasses don't work with helmet  (Read 1161 times)

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
I wear prescription sunglasses when daytime riding.  I have a Scorpion helmet that I really like, it's about 2 years old so still has lots of life left.  I used to have wire-rim sunglasses that fit in my helmet nicely.  Recently I got new sunglasses that have plastic frames, they look like Rayban Wayfarers.  They don't work well with my helmet.  The glasses are fairly wide, and the helmet squeezes them so the glasses are perched too high to be comfortable. 

Has anyone ever tried modifying the foam in their helmet to accommodate a pair of glasses?  Did it work?

Offline Rd Todd

• 749cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
Re: Weird question- new glasses don't work with helmet
« Reply #1 on: 08/21/17 08:36PM »
I'm bald n wear a bandana as a head wrap stick my glasses in between it acts as a pad absorbs sweat and you can ajust for comfort I rock it both street and in the desert.
« Last Edit: 08/21/17 08:40PM by Rd Todd »
Bikers are good people!

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #2 on: 08/22/17 07:54AM »
Yes and it did.  A long time ago.  You don't have to compress much foam to make room in an Arai Astro, but your mileage may vary.

Luck,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #3 on: 08/22/17 09:40AM »

I wear prescription glasses as well so I'm very familiar with your problem :).  I actually bring my helmet when shopping for new glasses to make sure the frame fits.  My sunglasses do NOT fit whatsoever (I actually had to ride home once without glasses; thankfully it was close). 

You have a few different options:
* Some helmets offer different size (thickness) cheek pads.  You could try a thinner size;
* If your regular glasses fit, wear those and use a transition shield (Bell has one; it's amazing btw) or internal sunvisor.  I use both; Bell RS-1 with transition shield and Scorpion T1200 with internal sunvisor;
* Get new sunglasses that fit :)

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #4 on: 08/22/17 11:52AM »
I have an EXO-700, it's a medium lid with large-sized cheek pads, all my sunglasses fit perfectly including my Wayfarers.  Try swapping the cheek pads out, $15-$20 for a set is far cheaper than a fancy visor or new helmet.  :29:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #5 on: 08/22/17 03:45PM »
Let us know which Scorpion lid you be rockin' - the R series usually have room for glasses, but I know the EXO 500 did not. You may be able to remove a little padding from the cheek pads where the bows pass through to make more room. Many have done it.

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #6 on: 08/22/17 07:41PM »
Let us know which Scorpion lid you be rockin' - the R series usually have room for glasses, but I know the EXO 500 did not. You may be able to remove a little padding from the cheek pads where the bows pass through to make more room. Many have done it.
It's an EXO-R2000.  Y'all have been very helpful.  Thanks.

Offline nomog

« Reply #7 on: 08/24/17 12:15PM »
I also wear glasses but my solution is prescription glasses with transition lenses. That way I don't have to deal with two pairs of glasses. Also, it seems like sun glass frames run a little larger than regular frames so that may be part of your problem. My regular frames fit with most helmets I've tried.
I checked out the Bell Qualifier because it comes with a Transitions shield and there was no way I was getting my glasses on without modifying the padding so that may or may not work for you.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 44 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook