Topic: Saturday Sep 9th - last minute ride  (Read 672 times)

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
Saturday Sep 9th - last minute ride
« on: 09/08/17 11:10PM »
Last minute ride set up.  My Saturday morning just freed up and I'd like to take my bike out for a nice ride.  I know some of you guys already have plans to ride at GMR and Palomar, but I have a feeling those are more spirited than I want to take my 1100RT.

Is anyone up for a more relaxing ride in the morning?  Maybe Ortega, Santiago Cafe/Trabucco?  Even a ride down to the beach via Route 133, then up the coast to the HB area?

If I don't hear from anyone, then I'll just ride whatever/wherever I feel like in the morning.  (It's always nicer to ride with others though)

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
Re: Saturday Sep 9th - last minute ride
« Reply #1 on: 09/08/17 11:21PM »
Perhaps a Santiago Canyon Cafe -> Live Oak Canyon -> 133 -> PCH -> HB main street.

This ride?

https://goo.gl/maps/oZ8pnqY28Go

Offline Brando

« Reply #2 on: 09/09/17 11:01AM »
How was the ride? Temps looked pretty nice this AM.

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
« Reply #3 on: 09/09/17 12:24PM »
Next time you do this post it up. I'm always game for a short morning ride around the OC. Just not today since I'm  doing a day ride tomorrow.

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/09/17 01:13PM »
Ride was great.  Perfect weather for an OC ride. 

Stopped at Santiago cafe for breakfast, up live oak to El Toro.  Down to the 133.  Then PCH to HB main Street for coffee.  About 60 miles not including the trek home.

I've done this ride before and for an oc ride, it's pretty calming and a great coastal ride.  This was last minute for me as well.  Next time I'll post up a little earlier.
« Last Edit: 09/09/17 01:17PM by O.C. SV650S »

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
« Reply #5 on: 09/10/17 12:11PM »
So I saw this post but couldn't quite follow all the change of plans. In Wrightwood at the Evergreen Cafe enjoying a late breakfast. Weather and roads are very nice. Thanks for getting me motivated. Lots of riders out today. One CHP SUV past the Islip Saddle Look out. He was parked out of sight in the middle of some tight esses. So unless you are knee down and possibly sliding the tires some; probably close enough to 55mph posted speed limit to stay out of trouble.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/10/17 01:11PM »
So I saw this post but couldn't quite follow all the change of plans. In Wrightwood at the Evergreen Cafe enjoying a late breakfast. Weather and roads are very nice. Thanks for getting me motivated. Lots of riders out today. One CHP SUV past the Islip Saddle Look out. He was parked out of sight in the middle of some tight esses. So unless you are knee down and possibly sliding the tires some; probably close enough to 55mph posted speed limit to stay out of trouble.

Nothing was set, they were more like suggestions for rides in case anyone wanted to join.  Ended up doing the loop that I posted with the map.  Even if you couldn't join, I'm happy to hear that you were at least motivated to ride.  Sometimes I think this site just needs some more motivation for people to ride.  I don't see enough group rides, meetings, or events posted on here.  Or at least not enough where people actually join.

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/10/17 01:51PM »
Sometimes I think this site just needs some more motivation for people to ride.  I don't see enough group rides, meetings, or events posted on here.  Or at least not enough where people actually join.

"Sometimes"?  More like most of the time!  2016/17 is the worst I've seen since I joined in 2013.  I'm sorry for hijacking your post but....I've come to the conclusion that most riders in the OC hesitate if a ride is over 100 miles and/or 2 hours in length and starts earlier than 9AM.  Today I saw tons of riders on Ortega Highway but most of them stopped at the Lookout and that's usually as far as they go.

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/10/17 05:15PM »
Sometimes I think this site just needs some more motivation for people to ride.  I don't see enough group rides, meetings, or events posted on here.  Or at least not enough where people actually join.

"Sometimes"?  More like most of the time!  2016/17 is the worst I've seen since I joined in 2013.  I'm sorry for hijacking your post but....I've come to the conclusion that most riders in the OC hesitate if a ride is over 100 miles and/or 2 hours in length and starts earlier than 9AM.  Today I saw tons of riders on Ortega Highway but most of them stopped at the Lookout and that's usually as far as they go.
It's the same on my other forums. People get busy, have wives and jobs and can't commit until last minute. Then they have a few friends who shoot them last minute personal invitations to ride. Anyways, my point was I got pumped about doing a Palamar Julian ride but realized plans had changed and in my multi beer induced confusion reading between this and the other post that I was more likely to sleep in and do my own thing. Keep posting. I look forward to joining some group rides.
Ended up riding from Sunland up Big T to AFH to UBT to Hwy 2 to Wrightwood then doubled back to the base of Angeles Forrest Hwy and rode that all the way back up to Mt. Emma Road then back to Sunland and home. VFR ride.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline FastMoto

• 749cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #9 on: 09/10/17 08:40PM »
September will be tough for me to find some time to really ride, but I'll start putting up some rides soon enough again....especially in the fall, one of my favorite times to ride. I usually try to fit in a extended weekender, or at least a over nighter every year, but again, availability is a issue for me this year. If I do, maybe early November somewhere, depending on how well the weather holds.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #10 on: 09/10/17 09:00PM »
I've posted at least 2 planned rides in the past to find nobody showing up.  Even a couple of years ago, these forums had regular lurkers and much more commentary both good and bad.  It seems nowadays there are a handful of members on here regularly, and even the rides posted seem to gain little traction or very low turnouts.  Not much we can do with unforseen, personal events or weather, but marking a date and setting a reminder on your smartphone's calendar could help us remember that being here is more than just reading a post, or browsing items for sale.  I will do my best to post any upcoming rides... 
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 FZR600
« Reply #11 on: 09/10/17 11:43PM »
Just hookup with storm trooper Ryder (Douglas Peralta) ... He has a ton of Facebook groups with rides posted almost daily

Most rides are on Facebook, meetup, or IG...forums are so old school LOL

On the other hand my east coast forum is strong...a ton of regulars in 30-60 age range

60 miles tho? Lol...my commute is over 75

Jk jk...I also like short quick Cruises on nice days... And I also agree that a lot of local writers don't like to go above 100 miles when all of the good riding is at least within a 100 Mi round trip. Those riders need to live somewhere like the East Coast where there are far fewer nice twisty roads within a day's ride and they will realize they took Southern California for granted
« Last Edit: 09/10/17 11:45PM by breakdirt916 »
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09/11/17 05:43AM »
I have too many spies on Facebook. I'll try posting more there.

There aren't any rides on the OCMOTO FB page either. LOL! Just people selling stuff and Bike Nights here and there.

100 mile local ride is a Milk run for me. The OC is frustrating to ride around in with so many red lights & 4-wheelers big and small then lots of speed traps. No thanks. I only ride it when I'm desperate. The closest is GMR and it's 50 miles to it. So that's 100s round trip plus the fun part.  Too much for some folks.

« Last Edit: 09/11/17 08:10AM by Rogue »

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #13 on: 09/11/17 08:36AM »
I did 2 400 mile days last week GMR is a milk run.  :32:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09/12/17 01:29PM »

I would agree.  The last "good" group ride I was a part of from this site was the Halloween ride three years ago.  I don't mind long rides or riding up and down roads over and over like the back side of Ortega, but I think you are right, most riders don't want to do a "long ride".

...Anyways, my point was I got pumped about doing a Palamar Julian ride but realized plans had changed and in my multi beer induced confusion reading between this and the other post that I was more likely to sleep in and do my own thing. Keep posting. I look forward to joining some group rides.
Ended up riding from Sunland up Big T to AFH to UBT to Hwy 2 to Wrightwood then doubled back to the base of Angeles Forrest Hwy and rode that all the way back up to Mt. Emma Road then back to Sunland and home. VFR ride.

Its all good, nothing wrong with a little BAC confusion.  I spent the last year and a half working weekends and not riding.  Now that I have my weekends back, despite being pretty much on-call 24/7, I will be riding more on Saturdays and Sundays and will certainly post up when/where I'll be riding.  Good to hear you were able to get out and ride anyways.  Haven't done that ride yet.  I may have to hit you up later about that trek.

September will be tough for me to find some time to really ride, but I'll start putting up some rides soon enough again....especially in the fall, one of my favorite times to ride. I usually try to fit in a extended weekender, or at least a over nighter every year, but again, availability is a issue for me this year. If I do, maybe early November somewhere, depending on how well the weather holds.

Post up your rides, I'll do what I can to get out and ride with the community a little more.  Luckily my schedule will remain constant until January, and may stay the same after that.  That should give me some time to join in on the group fun.  Haven't done an overnighter yet, quite honestly I'm not yet equipped to do an overnight ride.  With the new-to-me RT, maybe that will change.

I've posted at least 2 planned rides in the past to find nobody showing up.  Even a couple of years ago, these forums had regular lurkers and much more commentary both good and bad.  It seems nowadays there are a handful of members on here regularly, and even the rides posted seem to gain little traction or very low turnouts.  Not much we can do with unforseen, personal events or weather, but marking a date and setting a reminder on your smartphone's calendar could help us remember that being here is more than just reading a post, or browsing items for sale.  I will do my best to post any upcoming rides...

Agree, unforseen events will arise.  A lack of commitment or interest in a ride however is hard to overcome in a forum setting.  I'll do what I can to join your posted rides.

Just hookup with storm trooper Ryder (Douglas Peralta) ... He has a ton of Facebook groups with rides posted almost daily

Most rides are on Facebook, meetup, or IG...forums are so old school LOL

On the other hand my east coast forum is strong...a ton of regulars in 30-60 age range

60 miles tho? Lol...my commute is over 75

Jk jk...I also like short quick Cruises on nice days... And I also agree that a lot of local writers don't like to go above 100 miles when all of the good riding is at least within a 100 Mi round trip. Those riders need to live somewhere like the East Coast where there are far fewer nice twisty roads within a day's ride and they will realize they took Southern California for granted

My commute is 25 miles one way, so a 50-60 mile ride is a "distance" for me.  That being said, I've done the HB to Coronado ride via as much of PCH as I could, on a sport bike no less.  Definitely longer than 50 miles or two hours in one day.  Was a blast and enjoyed every mile of it.  I think people need to just clear a little time in their schedule and give a day or half day's worth of riding a try.

I have too many spies on Facebook. I'll try posting more there.

There aren't any rides on the OCMOTO FB page either. LOL! Just people selling stuff and Bike Nights here and there.

100 mile local ride is a Milk run for me. The OC is frustrating to ride around in with so many red lights & 4-wheelers big and small then lots of speed traps. No thanks. I only ride it when I'm desperate. The closest is GMR and it's 50 miles to it. So that's 100s round trip plus the fun part.  Too much for some folks.

Don't forget to post here as well.  I have no Facebook or any other form of social media aside from this site.  If it isn't posted here, I'll have no idea the ride is going on.  Guess I'm not "Millennial" enough.  I like a good close-to-home ride like my PCH ride when you don't have time to plan or have no one to join you.  I find long rides are best in groups, just in case you run into any issues in the ride.  Makes for some good peace of mind.

I did 2 400 mile days last week GMR is a milk run.  :32:

Hah! Now thats a weekend.  My ass would be sore after 800 miles on the SV.  I'm hoping the BMW will be a little nicer on the body during the long rides.

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09/12/17 01:41PM »
Milk Runs? Is that what lactose intolerant people get when they drink too much milk? A joke. I am part lactose intolerant so it's ok for me to joke about it.
I am due for a Hwy 33 Big Pine loop once the temps start to fall. 300-400 mile loop is my favorite soy milk run. Haha  :3:
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything