Linked Events   |   5 Attendees

Topic: Ride To GMR - Sunday 9/17  (Read 1278 times)

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
Re: Ride To GMR - Sunday 9/17
« Reply #20 on: 09/17/17 09:05AM »
GMR Crystal Lake is an exceptionally fun ride. I need to check in here more often. Sold my Triumph so now I really need to concentrate on getting the FZ1 running. So, I will be wrenching all day today. Have fun and ride safe.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #21 on: 09/17/17 09:41AM »
Sold my Triumph so now I really need to concentrate on getting the FZ1 running.

Congrats!

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
« Reply #22 on: 09/17/17 10:31AM »
Thanks for letting me tag along guys.  Sorry, I couldn't enjoy the full ride with you.  Donuts and coffee were good, as was the bottom of GMR.  The fog rolled in and sucked, still made for a good ride though.

Got my bike home, pulled the fuse for the turn signals and they shut off.  Put the fuse back in (it was still a good fuse) and my turn signals went back to normal.  From what I'm reading online, it appears the relay gets a glitch of some sort and pulling the fuse resets it back to normal. 

Thanks for the ride, next time I will get the full experience ride. And maybe next time I'll have the fork seal replaced on the SV so I can bring that and comfortably keep up.
« Last Edit: 09/17/17 10:34AM by O.C. SV650S »

Offline Chadonthestreet

« Reply #23 on: 09/17/17 10:44AM »
It was nice to meet some of you today. Thanks for letting me tag along on the first leg of the trip. I hope you'll get home safe.
Ride your own ride! Be honest with your own assessment of your skills , and awareness when riding with a group of people. We live in California where you can take advantage of some of the best riding schools in the world! Take a class, become a better rider.

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #24 on: 09/17/17 01:35PM »
Sorry about the fog didn't clear till we got near the lake turn off around 5000 feet. Anytime you guy are always welcome.  :17:    Can't believe it's September and still have on all the layers I started with.

Eureka makes a tasty burger I'll be back. :)
« Last Edit: 09/17/17 02:07PM by thepretender »
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
« Reply #25 on: 09/17/17 02:48PM »
It's good to meet some new-to-me members of OCMOTO, as well as see a couple of veterans of the board.

The weather wasn't as fantastic as prior rides, surprising for mid-September.  I never had to remove my jacket liner!  Summer is definitely over.  The west side of Glendora Mountain got a bit moist and definitely foggy.  We were bummed that OC SV650S & Chadonthestreet had to go through that foggy, moist crap on the first section of GMR.  We had to slow it down significantly.  Luckily, the second part of the ride on Shoemaker Road and to Crystal Lake had no fog and the roads dried up.

Here is that incessant cloud cover we had to ride through on the first leg.

Before coming down GMR again, we assessed the weather situation and decided safety was the better choice so we stayed on the drier Hwy 39.

But it was nice and sunny near Crystal Lake!

We had lunch at Claremont.  The food at Eureka! was damn good! 

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 FZR600
« Reply #26 on: 09/17/17 03:10PM »
Nice!

Good to see some riding going down

How is the DR in the canyons on mixed use tires?
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09/17/17 05:31PM »
BD, I was just telling thepretender that if the DR had another 15-20 rwhp, but nothing else changes (size & weight remains the same), the bike would be perfect for the kind of riding I do.  It's more flickable than my CBR600.  Way more supple than my VFR800.  And so very easy to ride especially on twisty roads.  The tighter the roads the better it is and the easier it is to ride versus a sportbike.  The Bridgestone Trailwings are great for what they are--looks rugged but is more street oriented than say, a Dunlop D606.  I've scrubbed the rear nearly to the edges without knowing.  The road was slick on the first part of GMR and the Trailwings never slipped even at a medium pace.  Even over the wet tar snakes.  How is it off road?  Well I heard the front isn't that great in soft sand because, it is street oriented.  On gravel and hard packed dirt it feels fine to me but I'm not at your level off road so take that with a grain of salt.  All I know is, when I want to go for a fun ride I seem to always go for the DR keys.

Offline FastMoto

• 749cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #28 on: 09/18/17 08:44AM »
I think your DR does just fine as-is. I think it helps that your a experienced and a very good rider. If I were to go on a RTW trip, the DR650 would be my top choice.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #29 on: 09/18/17 08:58AM »
BD, I was just telling thepretender that if the DR had another 15-20 rwhp, but nothing else changes (size & weight remains the same), the bike would be perfect for the kind of riding I do. 

That could easily be accomplished with a bigger piston and a pumper carb, those bikes are way too restricted stock!  :7:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 FZR600
« Reply #30 on: 09/18/17 09:20AM »
Sounds like fun!

I always have a "if it just had..." Issue with multi-purpose bikes...fasmoto shares a sentiment I feel on those bikes - leave them as-is. This is why I feel everyone should have multiple bikes (first world problems LOL) suited for each duty...if you want to ride longer, take the vfr and vice versa

In terms of handling, I felt the same way about the dr200se in the canyons...tons of fun! Flick all day

The dirt discussion on a DS makes me lol a bit...with the vstrom, I much prefer it on the road although it  can go off so my next tires will be PR4 and the bike will never see dirt...if that's the case, then why didn't I get an sv650 with handlebars and a top case?

So for you - How would you feel with a supermoto? Dr more comfortable?
« Last Edit: 09/18/17 09:26AM by breakdirt916 »
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09/18/17 12:17PM »
I think your DR does just fine as-is. I think it helps that your a experienced and a very good rider. If I were to go on a RTW trip, the DR650 would be my top choice.

Thanks!  It does ok in MOST situations except when trying to keep up with a KTM1290 and an S1000R!  LOL!

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09/18/17 12:27PM »
BD, I was just telling thepretender that if the DR had another 15-20 rwhp, but nothing else changes (size & weight remains the same), the bike would be perfect for the kind of riding I do. 

That could easily be accomplished with a bigger piston and a pumper carb, those bikes are way too restricted stock!  :7:

Yes and yes.  I'm going to go for higher compression piston and longer duration camshaft.  This was recommended for better top end power and a wider powerband.  There is a 790 kit also but is more suitable for increased low end grunt and midrange.  I'm THIS close to pulling the trigger on a pumper carb.  But it cost almost as much as a big piston upgrade!  So I'm juggling which direction to go.  Did you know that Suzuki actually made a DR800 for other markets? 

How's your XR400?

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09/18/17 12:37PM »
I always have a "if it just had..." Issue with multi-purpose bikes...fasmoto shares a sentiment I feel on those bikes - leave them as-is. This is why I feel everyone should have multiple bikes (first world problems LOL) suited for each duty...if you want to ride longer, take the vfr and vice versa

The dirt discussion on a DS makes me lol a bit...with the vstrom, I much prefer it on the road although it  can go off so my next tires will be PR4 and the bike will never see dirt...if that's the case, then why didn't I get an sv650 with handlebars and a top case?

So for you - How would you feel with a supermoto? Dr more comfortable?

I might just go full on SM with my DR650 some day.  Maybe.  I like the idea of being able to go off road at a moment's notice so for now I'll stick with Trail Wings and 21" front tire. 

BD, why not just stick with the tires it came with (rather than a full on road tire) so you CAN do some light dirt riding?  The DL was designed to do some specialized things that the SV can't so why not stick with that concept and use it like that?  The DL is your "VFR".  Leave the dedicated off road work for the Yamaha.

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 53 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook