Linked Events   |   4 Attendees

Topic: Ride Around Malibu - Sunday, 10/15  (Read 1243 times)

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
Re: Ride Around Malibu - Sunday, 10/15
« Reply #20 on: 10/15/17 02:53PM »
fun ride except the 405 on the way home ;-)  thanks guys for organizing
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Online OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #21 on: 10/15/17 05:38PM »
Thanks to all for joining. As Capt.Bob mentioned to me this morning, going early sure does leave a lot of room on the road for us! It was also nice that the few cars we did encounter pulled over and let us pass. Although later in the afternoon when thepretender and I broke off from the group, we encountered a van that seemed to not want to let us by and when he did it was a few corners away from a road closure.

There was a motorcycle accident about half way through Latigo Canyon and they made us turn around. Not sure the condition of the rider or what actually happened but there were quite a few emergency vehicles attending to the scene. Hopefully the people involved are OK.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
« Reply #22 on: 10/15/17 07:14PM »
Yeah that was a great ride across Malibu.  Really suits my DR650!

OOTV and ThePretender talking about riding while Capt.Bob surfs the internet on his phone.

Our bikes parked overlooking the Malibu Hills.

Malibu Hills overlooking the Pacific Ocean.  The Catalina Islands is visible in the foreground because the weather was crystal clear.

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
« Reply #23 on: 10/15/17 07:50PM »
Terrible I missed a good ride.  I'll be sure to make the next ride with you all, and I'll bring the SV instead of the right-turn-always-on-BMW I brought last time.

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #24 on: 10/15/17 08:12PM »
Yeah it was a very good ride awesome time had by all. OOTV kept asking in the his comm when we came to turn "everybody here" the answer every time was yep all here and off we went. :17:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #25 on: 10/17/17 10:41AM »
got some decent vid from the helmet cam. will try to upload later if anyone cares
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 FZR600
« Reply #26 on: 10/17/17 11:01AM »
I care!!

@rogue - wow! Slabbed the Dr to Malibu and it still canyon carved on the mixed use tires!

What about Malibu suits it?
« Last Edit: 10/17/17 11:04AM by breakdirt916 »
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Online OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #27 on: 10/17/17 11:12AM »
got some decent vid from the helmet cam. will try to upload later if anyone cares
My rear camera didn't seem to work too well but the front one did capture stuff. I still need to edit it down to view-able lengths. @Breakdirt, the roads in Malibu are twisty and bumpy, the DR has the suspension to soak up the bumps and plenty of ground clearance to handle the curves.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
« Reply #28 on: 10/17/17 01:04PM »
I care!!

@rogue - wow! Slabbed the Dr to Malibu and it still canyon carved on the mixed use tires!

What about Malibu suits it?

Me too I want to see video!!

BD, the Bridgestone Trailwings are awesome for the way I use it:  90% paved/10% Dirt.  But I shall refrain from commenting on how it performs in deep sand or rocky terrain as I have NOT tested it there other than hard packed dirt/gravel.  On pavement these tires stick.  Taken it to Palomar, ACH, and Ortega up to 70 mph on those smooth sweepers with no worries or issues with traction. 

I was telling the guys how the DR functioned wonderfully on Malibu's roads, which most of them are tight, technical roads with a lot of bumps--not necessarily potholes, just bumps and moguls associated with the ground underneath the pavement moving around normal usage/weather patterns/and terrain.  On a firmer suspension sport bike it can get tiring on the rider with a hunched over riding position due to so many elevation changes, and some of the bigger bumps WILL move you around on these bikes unless you set the suspension on soft, then you have to deal with suspension wallow.  But when you have 10.5" wheel travel, it just soaks it all up and I can focus on my lines and apex points.  The upright riding position also helps A LOT especially coming down Tuna Canyon road, which is one narrow, snaky, and steep SOB of a road!  But the views to the Pacific were fantastic!  It also ends in a section with potholes and more dirt on the edges of the pavement so the DR or any DS bike just shrugs these off.  Your DL650 will do really well in Malibu's roads. 

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
« Reply #29 on: 10/19/17 12:00AM »
That 650 did really well. I got my nuts smashed on a down hill section. Went over a sink hole type depression while braking. Supermotos on the tight roads of Malibu have always been a great option.
 I always enjoy photos and video.
Here is one of Mickey Rourke at Neptune's Net. Ran into him as we were getting ready to leave. He was looking a little ruff so I didn't ask for an autograph.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 51 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook