Topic: I知 A Millennial And I Ride Motorcycles  (Read 669 times)

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 9
I知 A Millennial And I Ride Motorcycles
« on: 12/28/17 07:56AM »
I'm not one, but I'm tired of the industry blaming 20-something's for the state of motorcycling.  Good read.

"The biggest problem is that the motorcycle industry looks at millennials as 鍍he other, a massive group whose perceived indifference to motorcycling is based largely on the notion that technology has replaced typical modes of recreation, institutions of community belonging, and methods of identity formation, once provided by things like, well, motorcycling."

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
Re: I知 A Millennial And I Ride Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: 12/28/17 09:32AM »
I think HD has the right take on it; teach more people to ride.

Manufacturers should provide free MSF (or whatever it's called now) courses to get people over the hurdle. Yes that's an investment by them, but it's investing in future sales more than anything.

I mean shoot, if you're not a rider and you learn about a free weekend to learn to ride, on someone else's motorcycle... sounds like a winner to me.

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
Re: I知 A Millennial And I Ride Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: 12/28/17 03:31PM »
The article hit the nail right in the head.  The MC industry believes the Baby Boomers & Gen-Xers who bought all those motorcycles during the pre-RE Crash of 2008 are going to come around again in the form of Gen-Y group.  But how can they when the Gen-Y are struggling to make ends meet?  That and it's so much easier and way more practical to get a car.  It's possible that we are witnessing a further culling of the MC industry from it's pre-2008 level.  Too many dealerships competing for shrinking buyer base is probably unsustainable.  Same with aftermarket suppliers.  It's the market trying to reach its equilibrium based on a "normal" number of riders/customers available for them.  The MC boom may not come around again for a long time.

The way I see it, riding just isn't for everyone.  It's way too complicated to operate a bike.  You're a slave to the weather.  And the barriers to entry are high & expensive.  And it should be!  It's not like driving a car and it is way less forgiving of mistakes.  Timid, distracted, and people lacking of self control need not apply.  I think that it is a good thing that there is a process of "natural selection" to become a rider, otherwise if it were THAT easy then you will have every douchebag riding around like dicks on the road!  God knows we already have enough of those.  Right now, only the most determined get a license to ride, then raise the cash to buy a bike plus their gear.  Go visit Asia and see for yourself what it's like when everyone and their grandmother rides a freakin'  two wheeler!  Be careful what you wish for!

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 30 queries.