Topic: Insurance Recommendations?  (Read 801 times)

Offline NotKevin

Insurance Recommendations?
« on: 01/13/18 03:38PM »
Finally found another bike, so I'm back in the game. Now I need insurance (yay). 

What do you guys do for insurance? What company/coverage amounts/how much do you pay?   

I'm 23, with an SV650. Id like to max out all medical forms of coverage for myself. I figure you can buy a new bike, but if I have to make it wheelchair accessible, that's going to cost more.  :32:   

I believe State Farm has been the cheapest with previous bikes. I know there's sketchier ones like freeway insurance though.

Offline IslandTosh

• 125cc
  • IslandTosh's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Triumph Street Triple R, '04 Ninja 250 (I think she's jealous)
  • Years Riding: Since July 2013
Re: Insurance Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 01/13/18 04:35PM »
I had the best price through Geico (existing auto customer), but I was also 35 at the time.  I'm currently at a little over $200/year for my 2 bikes; older one is liability only, newer one is full

Offline NotKevin

« Reply #2 on: 01/13/18 05:20PM »
I had the best price through Geico (existing auto customer), but I was also 35 at the time.  I'm currently at a little over $200/year for my 2 bikes; older one is liability only, newer one is full

Holy shit. I get quoted at like $1,000 a year. State Farm was like $600/year, but I'm going to check out Geico this week for sure.

Probably my age you're right :\

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #3 on: 01/13/18 07:01PM »
Everybody will have different rates depending on the zip code you live in, your driving record, number of vehicles you have, whether you're married or not, garage parking, it can also vary amongst occupations, etc.  So asking what someone pays will prove little to nothing.  I shop every time at renewal and the Auto Club is always the cheapest, and they have great claims service.  Next pricier option was Geico and Progressive has always been the highest.  YMMV   
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #4 on: 01/13/18 07:19PM »
Everybody will have different rates depending on the zip code you live in, your driving record, number of vehicles you have, whether you're married or not, garage parking, it can also vary amongst occupations, etc.  So asking what someone pays will prove little to nothing.  I shop every time at renewal and the Auto Club is always the cheapest, and they have great claims service.  Next pricier option was Geico and Progressive has always been the highest.  YMMV

AAA here also. I combine multiple policies etc and always come out cheaper than anyone else.

Adding renters insurance actually saved me money by a notable amount. Probably helps I have 6 bikes and 2 cars on the policy :o

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #5 on: 01/13/18 07:47PM »
State Farm here for many years.  I have multiple policies for vehicles and home so I do get discounts for that and various other things.  I called AAA (i'm a member) to compare what their rates are and they couldn't beat what I have. I can refer you to my agent if you like
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline NotKevin

« Reply #6 on: 01/22/18 08:18PM »
Yeah I went with State Farm again.

23 years old 2006 SV650.
$70 a month for:   

Comprehensive $500 deductible.   
Collision $500 deductible.   
$250,000/$500,000 liability
$250,000/$500,000 underinsured/uninsured motorist
$100,000 property damage.

They didn't have medical insurance, so if I'm at fault and break my neck, I'm pretty screwed. For everything else I'm good. I think / hope my Cigna from my father covers medical if I'm at fault.

I think it's solid?

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #7 on: 01/25/18 06:39PM »
Hopefully you don't mean you have no medical insurance. This is a dangerous hobby and hopefully never need it but shit happens
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #8 on: 01/26/18 08:45AM »
While we're talking insurance, I recommend getting long-term disability insurance through your employer.  It's cheap, and should you get into a serious accident while caging it or riding, it will help cover basic expenses while you recover, and cover a portion of you salary while out of work.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline NotKevin

« Reply #9 on: 02/03/18 09:43PM »
Hopefully you don't mean you have no medical insurance. This is a dangerous hobby and hopefully never need it but shit happens

I appreciate the advice. I'm still under 25 (26?), so I have my dad's medical insurance. Once I graduate I'll work somewhere and they'll provide it. 

And Throttle Chopper, I will absolutely look into that when I get a full time big boy job. Appreciate it guys.

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 44 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook