Topic: ducati maintenance  (Read 340 times)

Offline Riggidy_Roy

• 125cc
  • Riggidy_Roy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: R1, Honda 1000rr (Stolen), Kawasaki ZX9R, Honda Shadow
  • Years Riding: Since yesterday
ducati maintenance
« on: 01/20/18 11:27AM »
I'm thinking of getting a 2016 Hypermotard 939. It has about 3k miles on it. What kind of maintenance am I looking at for this bike? How much does it usually cost do have it done? I heard the 2016s and newer are a lot more reliable.

Offline alfasteve

• 50cc
  • alfasteve's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '09 848, '12 Multistrada
  • Years Riding: 3 years
Re: ducati maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 01/20/18 03:00PM »
I think the full desmo service is every 15k mile now, a great improvement.  I'm thinking a full servicing at 15k will run around $1500, or one-third of that if you do it yourself, and depending on how many tools you have. 
Everyone who has a Hypermotard seems to really love them.  If you ride it, and are happy with it, you'll enjoy the bike and club experience.  No bike is really properly setup out of the gate, so it pays to take it to a chassis tuner to get a good baseline.  I saw Dave Moss today at Pro-Italia and it was a great experience.

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 9
Re: ducati maintenance
« Reply #2 on: 01/21/18 09:29AM »
valve service on the testatretta is 18,000/36,000

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/590d7823-9c65-48e9-aed8-a95cf6443f98/Service/Service%20Schedule%20pdfs/Ducati/Ducati_Testastretta_11Degree_Maintenance_Checklist-2016.pdf

allegedly the testatretta 11 engines are much easier to work on, probably based on dealer economic feedback.  You can do most of the service maint on a Dec yourself with basic tools (oil change, belt change, chain/sprockets), but the DIY threshold for the valves is higher, plus the need for the shim kit and feeler gauges most people don't have.

the last time i priced out a 2V valve service it was ~$600 at the dealer.  the 4V is more labor, but not sure about the testatretta.  Might shave off a little of that cost going to an independant shop (Valley Desmo, Motoservizio)

Note: ducati are notoriously undersprung so the suspension will probably need to be worked over to get the most out of it.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 34 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook