Linked Events   |   1 Attendees

Topic: President's Day Ride: GMR & Empanadas  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
Re: President's Day Ride: GMR & Empanadas
« Reply #20 on: 02/20/18 09:26PM »
Todd, this is the Internet dude. Don’t be so sensitive.
Ben hosting rides probably 5years now on this site "Dude"  Angers me when peeps post up n don't show, we are all busy but geeze..... no one keeps there word these days WTHF???
« Last Edit: 02/20/18 09:34PM by Rd Todd »
Bikers are good people!

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #21 on: 02/21/18 09:42AM »
I don't always flake, but when I do, it's because I'm at work.   Working Thursdays through Sunday morning, and every other Sunday night into Monday morning, makes it rough to join rides. 

How about some weekday rides?  Anyone able to ride Monday through Wednesday mornings?
I work from home a lot and if I'm not at a job site or have a project deadline, I can sometimes squeeze in a weekday ride. What type of riding do you prefer, tight twisty roads?, long sweepers?, adventure?, bar hopping?!  :32: Usually on Wednesday the dog goes to day care and my wife works late so that would most likely be the best day to ride. Even if it's down PCH for a cruise.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02/21/18 10:09AM »
Organizing a ride is harder than it appears. I've done so and found success and failure. I appreciate those who try.  Events, I agree are core to making the forum more robust and successful.
I have to say, creating a ride is actually rather easy, it's getting people to join you that is hard! Although I was only ribbing these guys, you have to admit, the ride attendance for this forum, well any forum really, is very lack luster. I know that Rogue, thepretender and I like to get in a ride at least one day of the weekend and ride almost regularly together, however the same question pops up..."Should I post this ride on the forum?", The answer is usually yes, but with the expectation that we will not get many, if any, people to join us.

I'm not sure if we are an intimidating bunch, we have a bad rep, it's the routes we choose or what the deal is but we don't seem to get very many bites. I will say though, we do like to start early, and I don't mean 10:00AM, we usually start in the 7-8AM time frame, perhaps that has something to do with it. There are several reasons for this but when you're riding in some of the more popular spots, this can make all the difference in the world. I've once did a solo ride to Malibu (again, nobody wanted to join me!) and I had the roads almost all to myself. I was able to do a great loop and when it was time to head home, that's when everybody else was showing up!

Anyway, I am a very low key guy and welcome anyone to ride with me, all I ask is that you're safe, wear proper gear, be open to last minute changes or adventures and just be a cool person. Nobody wants to ride with a hot head, a show boater or someone who just makes poor decisions, particularly if you're a long way from home. Although it's typically "ride your own ride", I am known to hang back and keep slower riders in my rear view or even take the sweeper position, if it means the "newbie" will feel more comfortable.

No bad feelings were intended by my post, I was just giving a good old fashion ball busting. We are on this forum because we share a common ground, motorcycling! Long time riders know the camaraderie and friendships that come with this "sport", we are all here to share and enjoy our passion for motorcycling and I hope that more and more members start to get into the grove and get out ride together. Yes, motorcycling can be a solo sport but you can have some really good times hanging with like minded individuals who share the same passion!

Cheers!

Offline ‘77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • ‘77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: On-road since 2008, Off-road since 2002.
« Reply #23 on: 02/21/18 11:51AM »
I work from home a lot and if I'm not at a job site or have a project deadline, I can sometimes squeeze in a weekday ride. What type of riding do you prefer, tight twisty roads?, long sweepers?, adventure?, bar hopping?!  :32: Usually on Wednesday the dog goes to day care and my wife works late so that would most likely be the best day to ride. Even if it's down PCH for a cruise.

All of the above?   I'm now on my R1100RT, so I won't be doing any knee dragging twisties.  That said, I can still ride spirited.  A good ride through santiago/live oak and a breakfast stop at Santiago Cafe, or silverado - 133 - PCH - HB main street, or a trip through Ortega Highway to the lookout, or Big Bear (warmer months obviously), GMR, or bar hopping, or, a ride down PCH all the way down to Coronado (done that once before and its long, but tons of fun).   I'll ride about anything.

I work weekend night shifts (12 1/2 hours each shift) so that's why weekends are my days to ride. How about next Tuesday the 27th?

Offline ‘77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • ‘77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02/21/18 12:00PM »
Organizing a ride is harder than it appears. I've done so and found success and failure. I appreciate those who try.  Events, I agree are core to making the forum more robust and successful.
I have to say, creating a ride is actually rather easy, it's getting people to join you that is hard! Although I was only ribbing these guys, you have to admit, the ride attendance for this forum, well any forum really, is very lack luster. I know that Rogue, thepretender and I like to get in a ride at least one day of the weekend and ride almost regularly together, however the same question pops up..."Should I post this ride on the forum?", The answer is usually yes, but with the expectation that we will not get many, if any, people to join us.

I'm not sure if we are an intimidating bunch, we have a bad rep, it's the routes we choose or what the deal is but we don't seem to get very many bites. I will say though, we do like to start early, and I don't mean 10:00AM, we usually start in the 7-8AM time frame, perhaps that has something to do with it. There are several reasons for this but when you're riding in some of the more popular spots, this can make all the difference in the world. I've once did a solo ride to Malibu (again, nobody wanted to join me!) and I had the roads almost all to myself. I was able to do a great loop and when it was time to head home, that's when everybody else was showing up!

Anyway, I am a very low key guy and welcome anyone to ride with me, all I ask is that you're safe, wear proper gear, be open to last minute changes or adventures and just be a cool person. Nobody wants to ride with a hot head, a show boater or someone who just makes poor decisions, particularly if you're a long way from home. Although it's typically "ride your own ride", I am known to hang back and keep slower riders in my rear view or even take the sweeper position, if it means the "newbie" will feel more comfortable.

No bad feelings were intended by my post, I was just giving a good old fashion ball busting. We are on this forum because we share a common ground, motorcycling! Long time riders know the camaraderie and friendships that come with this "sport", we are all here to share and enjoy our passion for motorcycling and I hope that more and more members start to get into the grove and get out ride together. Yes, motorcycling can be a solo sport but you can have some really good times hanging with like minded individuals who share the same passion!

Cheers!

No bad feelings taken by me.  I know I haven't been as active as I would prefer lately, but I'm hoping to change that.

As for the numbers, Motorcycling in general is dying off, just look at the recent posts regarding the motorcycle industry lack of sales.  Millennials aren't buying bikes like previous generations did.  I think start times also have something to do with it.  You and I can agree, the best riding can be had early in the morning, before the cagers get up.  The younger/less experienced groups probably don't know that and think it's just too early to get up.  Their Mocha Latte, half/half, hold the whip, isn't ready that early.

I also don't think the younger group is riding in groups anymore, not even with friends.  I think they are riding as individuals now;  if they weren't riding with their friends, they won't ride with strangers, generally speaking.   

We may need to create flyers for the website, nothing expensive or fancy, and hand them out at any and all bike functions we can.  Members could even hand them out as they come across riders on the street, makes for a good way to connect with riders and show that members of the group are positive.

Rogue

« Reply #25 on: 02/21/18 12:22PM »
Very well said OOTV.  Sometimes reading something online just doesn't translate the intent as well as saying something in person, thus it comes off the wrong way.  I actually had to go through training for that at my company!

To OC SV650's point, I think nowadays with the proliferation of smart phones and ease of text messaging, many folks just use that media.  That and OCMOTO just isn't a popular venue.  Period.  I think it's all of the above.

If there is a group that needs to ride with a more experienced, mature group, it's the younger folks.  Riding with a good group teaches you so much in such a short period of time.  It's much better to learn by emulating a good rider than it is to learn it on your own by making mistakes and/or undoing bad habits.  It's even worse to learn to ride well  from people that don't ride well either!  LOL!

Ok enough warm and fuzzy....time to post up another ride.

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02/21/18 01:46PM »

All of the above?   I'm now on my R1100RT, so I won't be doing any knee dragging twisties.  That said, I can still ride spirited.  A good ride through santiago/live oak and a breakfast stop at Santiago Cafe, or silverado - 133 - PCH - HB main street, or a trip through Ortega Highway to the lookout, or Big Bear (warmer months obviously), GMR, or bar hopping, or, a ride down PCH all the way down to Coronado (done that once before and its long, but tons of fun).   I'll ride about anything.

I work weekend night shifts (12 1/2 hours each shift) so that's why weekends are my days to ride. How about next Tuesday the 27th?
Darn it! Tuesday I have a lunch meeting but Wednesday I think I can keep open. Monday I also have an offsite meeting in the afternoon. Note that my schedule is very "dynamic", one day I'm scheduled to be somewhere and Viola! project date gets moved, similarly I can be open one day and Boom! I have to run out to a job site. If next Wednesday will work, let's see if we can do that Santiago/Live Oak. Let's stay in touch on see where this goes.

Offline ‘77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • ‘77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02/21/18 02:27PM »
My schedule can vary just as much.  I'll be in training next Wednesday, however I don't know what times yet.  I'll find that out tomorrow.  Now than likely it will be 8ish until noon, or non until afternoon.  I'll let you know tomorrow evening when I find out

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02/21/18 05:12PM »
My schedule can vary just as much.  I'll be in training next Wednesday, however I don't know what times yet.  I'll find that out tomorrow.  Now than likely it will be 8ish until noon, or non until afternoon.  I'll let you know tomorrow evening when I find out
See?, easy to schedule but hard to get people to ride!  :32: Let's see how it goes then.

Cheers

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02/28/18 02:52PM »
Well we made it happen! When there's a will, there's a way. Although not the most epic of rides or twistiest of roads, still good to be on the bike today. A little cooler temperatures but sunny and clear! Thanks for meeting up.

Cheers,
D

Offline ‘77 RD 400

• 749cc
  • ‘77 RD 400's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03/01/18 01:14PM »
It was pretty great to get out and ride.  Thanks for meeting up.  Maybe next time we can get some other members to join.  And thanks for the BBQ suggestions, the pulled pork was delicious.  See you on the next ride.

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 51 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook