Topic: what to do if a car is coming up to you fast from behind?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
You're in the HOV lane solo and see an SUV barreling at you.

At the rate he's approaching, you feel unsafe and you get out of the carpool lane, so he can pass. You maintain your speed or slow down, and just get out of his way.

But he follows suit, and also gets out of the carpool lane...and starts tailgating you...a little too close for your comfort.

So you switch back into the carpool lane...but he or she also gets back into the carpool lane, and continues tailgates you. However, now there is now a car directly to your right, and tailgate guy behind you at a distance you feel is unsafe.

What do you do next?
« Last Edit: 02/07/18 11:42PM by breakdirt916 »
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
I’ve been in a similar situation, although not as ominous. I basically got over into traffic and lane split for a few minutes putting other vehicles between me and the @$$hole. Of course this only works if there is traffic to use.

In my situation the person was either trying to intimidate me, or trying to “get even with me” for something they thought I did to them or just follow me because I was making good time on the road, I don’t know. Essentially the person was staying to close for comfort and when I did get around a vehicle in front of me, usually by lane splitting, they dove out and back in the car pool lane to get back behind me. That happened twice, so I just dove out and got into the other lanes of traffic and split lanes until they were not able to follow me anymore.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
Evade, right?

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
Evade, right?
Essentially, yes. Put as much distance and/or obstructions between you and the threat. In my case, traffic created the obstructions and I was able to put more distance between us because of being able to split lanes. In no way would I ever confront the person while in motion. Especially with a large SUV type vehicle, there is too much to risk in doing so.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
Evade, right?

Exactly.  I've dropped in between a couple of cars in an adjacent lane when I had to.  People will sometimes use their vehicle block a jerk off once they've had enough time to perceive who the aggressor is. 

I've led more than one jerk to the local police station.

Everybody is rather nice to each other in traffic here, but then we have both concealed and open carry.  I've noticed a lot of Glocks being worn at the local grocery stores.  (There's apparently no such thing as a Glock-blocker in this state.)  That said, confrontation isn't going to go your way on the road.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
Both wrong...it was a cop...ticket when tried to put distance in between :lol:

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
You left out important details on purpose but why did he intend on ticketing you before you made an effort to get out of his way?

If not sounds like an easy ticket to fight.

Like others said if not a cop make some distance between you and the asshat.

A long time ago I while in a cage I had a dude in a truck go nuts yelling at me waving me to the side of the road to fight trying to crash into me ect. I made a last second dive to get off the freeway to get away. I have no idea what set him off but had to get away as best I could.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)

That's a dirty move right there!!  Gotta know your cop cars man; Ford Explorer I take it?

I typically would try to lose a tailgater with lane splitting.  If I can't lose them easily, I'll leave a ton of room in front so they don't run into me in case I have to slow down for whatever reason.

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
Well, lane splitting still applies, putting distance and obstacles between me and the cop would allow my escape! I can always say, it wasn’t me on the bike! Turning in my friend would be the dirty move!

In all other scenarios I stand by what I wrote hands down.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
So what you're inferring is a rear-view camera is a must-have item.  :13:  If you see no flashing lights and can't clearly confirm you are being followed by an LEO, you are safe to assume someone is driving aggressively and you are justified to preserve your safety, and you should absolutely fight that ticket.  I got on the freeway the other morning and was trying to get around some slower cars merging onto the toll road.  I accelerated quickly and safely and may have switched a couple of lanes, next thing I know I see a black Tahoe speeding behind me.  The Tahoe sped around some other cars and turns out it was Fullerton PD, and we were heading into Corona.  Clearly trying to "project" his show of force, but really a douche move in any sense. 
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 749cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
I turn around, look at the car tailing me, and "pump" my non-throttle hand like I'm telling them to pump the brakes.  My way of saying "keep back."  If that doesn't work, I split lanes, get a couple of cars up, then merge back into normal traffic with a few cars between us.   

The advantage of this:  If its the po-po tailing, you should be able to recognize it when you turn and face them.  Usually negates the hand pump and warrants the "oh sh*t" thought.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
Yes exactly...seems like there was intent to ticket prior to adding distance. Seems he didn't have enough reason at first because I pulled over to let him pass...but only after aggressive tailgating he got a moment at higher speed and used that to light it up.

And hard to say on the car even if I turned around...dark at night and the newer explorers just have 2 projector lights...hid...tint of blue

Seems like most of you would have done the same

To be honest I want to say it's okay because I'd rather a Tailgater be a cop with a ticket then an angry SUV looking to lay his Vengeance and rear end me

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)

I would file a trial by declaration explaining you were a victim of road rage (without admitting speeding of course).  Good chance it will get dismissed.

Yes exactly...seems like there was intent to ticket prior to adding distance. Seems he didn't have enough reason at first because I pulled over to let him pass...but only after aggressive tailgating he got a moment at higher speed and used that to light it up.

And hard to say on the car even if I turned around...dark at night and the newer explorers just have 2 projector lights...hid...tint of blue

To be honest I want to say it's okay because I'd rather a Tailgater be a cop with a ticket then an angry SUV looking to lay his Vengeance and rear end me

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
Yeah, that sounds a lot like entrapment, actually.

What I would do is take advantage of being small to move into slower traffic that the SUV can't follow into and force them to either brake to stay behind, or pass.

Question - when they first appeared behind you, were you speeding?

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30

I wouldn't want anyone tailgating to be honest, say the cop was driving that way after a long, demanding day.  Nope, I'll pass even if it was Mario Andretti behind me. 

To be honest, it sounds like the cop was fishing, and that's just lazy police work.  He couldn't find anything to cite you on so he ramped up the intensity himself.  I had Irvine PD try to do the same thing with me driving on the 133, he was intentionally riding in my blind spot for a couple of miles, but I had my cruise control set to a little over 70.  He eventually got off at Irvine Blvd, and I then increased up my speed to the regular flow of traffic's 75-80 mph.   
Every day is ride to work day!

Rogue

BD, I'm sorry about your ticket.

On the V-Strom no less!  That's the most innocent looking bike!

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
Cop was probably tailgating trying to figure out how somebody was riding a bike that ugly :32:

Just funnin' with ya BD.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
most sport bikes can easily get away from or out of the way of an SUV.....
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 57 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything