Topic: Newbie Dual Sport Ride to Santiago Peak - Sunday, 2/25/18  (Read 3815 times)

Rogue

It would probably take the dealer 10 minutes to hook up the Tiger and tell the computer what size wheels are on there, then charge you $100 for this. However if the Tiger needs a software update for other reasons anyway, this may be the best time.

This ride up Santiago is  a very short ride close to home so itís a perfect venue to test new gear. Itís also good practice. The REAL adventure is out there in the desert. Want to see AND climb an ancient Volcano off of Route 66? Ride around a dry lak bed? I know just the place! This requires us to ride up and over the Cajon Pass though.

Offline FastMoto

• 998cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
Rogue-

I'll show you how to break the bead on tube tires while out on the road next time we ride. 2 main methods, 1) is either standing on the tires and using body weight, 2) other using the bike side-stand. Some tires are easier than others, but it's not a fun process. Best to practice at home.

I also run Ultra Heavy Duty tubes, very durable, but can be a PIA to install due to the wall-thickness....even at home. I carry 1 standard duty tire (21" only....can be used in 18" rear if need be) in my backpack. along with a couple 10" irons. I also pre-powder the tube with baby powder so it is easier to move around within the tire.

I won't be able to ride for a little bit, but maybe in late-March.

Rogue

Thanks dude.  I'm shopping for the tire irons, and also plan to replace my inner tubes with heavy duty ones.  I looked into the Tubliss system but it is expensive and requires drilling a second hole in one's rim. 

I really want to head out to the Mojave on my DR650 before summer.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
Exactly... Santiago is just close... it's a quicky rip that you can ride part of the day and be home for lunch (or breakfast?). I rode Santiago and surfed the same day then went out the same night

Mojave is amazing!!
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
Exactly... Santiago is just close... it's a quicky rip that you can ride part of the day and be home for lunch (or breakfast?). I rode Santiago and surfed the same day then went out the same night

Mojave is amazing!!
Breakdirt cutting his teeth in Cali a few years back, Now a seasoned rider/ surfer/Ladies man.... ATTA BOOOOOY!!!
« Last Edit: 02/26/18 09:35PM by Rd Todd »
Bikers are good people!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
Hahaha...thanks Todd - I started I'm your garage with some pants and goggles from team Motocutz!

@Rogue - consider motion pro - the tools are ultra light and the opposite side doubles as an axle nut wrench

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
    • View Profile
Hahaha...thanks Todd - I started I'm your garage with some pants and goggles from team Motocutz!

@Rogue - consider motion pro - the tools are ultra light and the opposite side doubles as an axle nut wrench
Lots of laughs man GOOD TIMES for sure lets set something up soon!!
Bikers are good people!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
Fishing!!!

@Rogue/ootv/fastmoto - anyone down for a quick run this weekend? I am working down there...off at 5 sat/sun

By late March there will be 7pm sunsets...so from March <-> Sept I will be riding 5-7 or 5-8pm every other weekend for sure!

In the mean time: March/April/May will be the last few desert trips until it gets hot; this includes long touring rides on the Vstrom. jun<->Aug will be in the forest (San Bernardino and Cleveland) and coastal touring rides. By September/Oct it's desert season again  8)
« Last Edit: 02/27/18 03:33PM by breakdirt916 »

Rogue

BD, there's a storm hitting us, which is forecasted for Friday and Saturday.  So not sure how the roads will be during the hours you're available.  However, I'm game to ride with you on Sat after 5 PM.

Where do you go in the desert? 

I've been exploring the Mojave lately (in the truck though).  Even then I only have a few ideas where to ride out there, wherein there are trails and such.  How about California City?  I've always wanted to go ride there ever since I saw the MotoGeo video.

Online thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
Post about the area near Calico posted awhile ago looked cool, at least I remember it that way.
Anbody want to trade a Vmax for a small BMW GS or a DR650 lol
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesnít value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesnít value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Rogue

You may be surprised what you can trade for that sweet VMAX.  Or what you can get for it.  The traditional DS bikes from Japan, DR650, DRZ400, KLR650, XR650L, have been around a LONG time with minimal changes.  And they sell for around $6k new, which means used examples, even lightly used examples are very inexpensive.  Wasn't too long ago the Cycle Guy was selling his '06 KLR650 with under 15k miles for a mere $2.7k. 

If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone for a used DR650 and just used a bit of cash to fix it up a bit (or fix it up a lot). 

These bikes are quite robust and extremely simple.  As long as the previous owner changed fluids regularly, and didn't beat the bike to death, used examples are a REALLY good buy.  There's a dude on You Tube from the Bay Area who bought a REALLY beat up DR650, fixed/replaced all wear items, and now he's riding all over the desert with it.  Even did the LA to Barstow to Vegas and finished!  LOL! 

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
Or find a friend who will be gone for 6 months and take his ADV bike!  :17:
ďYou can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...Ē

Rogue

Post about the area near Calico posted awhile ago looked cool, at least I remember it that way.

I was just there!  But in the truck.

Soda Lake
by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Trona Pinnacles near Ransburg.  DS playground.

DSCF2722

There is a whole other world of riding out there and I've barely scratched the surface.

Offline CEYLON

• 125cc
  • CEYLON's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 v-rod (VRSCDX), 05 R1, 05 Road King, 2009 WR250X, 09 R1200GSA.
Lytle Creek, Baldy Mesa, Cleghorn has plenty DS riding.

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
    • View Profile

I was just there!  But in the truck.

Soda Lake

Trona Pinnacles near Ransburg.  DS playground.

DSCF2722

There is a whole other world of riding out there and I've barely scratched the surface.
Bikers are good people!

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
    • View Profile
Cal City has all kinds of terrain with beginner to expert trails, Galileo hill country club offers suites and pool access or camp in the desert that's what we do, Randsburg mining town is about a ten mile ride from Cal City with a fire road route for the moms n kids  but up in the hills theres a nice snotty nasty ride for the boys to take. I grew up riding CC and so did my kids, taught them both to drive my dually at 6 n 7 yrs old on all the derilect roads.
« Last Edit: 02/27/18 10:20PM by Rd Todd »
Bikers are good people!

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
    • View Profile
Get out there n ride!
Bikers are good people!

Offline FastMoto

• 998cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
Cal City has all kinds of terrain with beginner to expert trails, Galileo hill country club offers suites and pool access or camp in the desert that's what we do, Randsburg mining town is about a ten mile ride from Cal City with a fire road route for the moms n kids  but up in the hills theres a nice snotty nasty ride for the boys to take. I grew up riding CC and so did my kids, taught them both to drive my dually at 6 n 7 yrs old on all the derilect roads.

I heard about the Galileo resort. Whats availability like there? Especially in prime desert riding season. It would make for a nice "base camp" site and ride from there.

Rogue

Thereís also a Best Western around the Central Park in California City. Itís a mere 160 miles from South County.  Letís do it what the hell? I can ride my DR 160 miles easy!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
Trona pinnacles!!! Let's go there!!!

That is a perfect example of what it is to have a dual sport and live in Orange County. 45 minutes will get you to the trailhead at Maple Springs but add another 30 minutes and you are past the Cajon Pass add another 30 minutes and you are at Trona.

But yes I have also been to California City once and it was an excellent spot for new people because there's lots of flat long desert roads. There are some more technical spots up in the hills.

Rogue I have also been to Ocotillo Wells, Gorman, Kramer Junction, Barstow, ridden from Palmdale to Vegas, ransburg, Twentynine Palms, Mexico, and Beaumont once. I have also been to the Cajon Pass and the San Bernardino mountain range although not that far towards Big Bear

You should really just join advrider and visit the West section. There is a ADV bike newbie training day this weekend and you should definitely go. There is also an annual noobie rally, a Death Valley Rally, a Pahrump rally among others
« Last Edit: 02/28/18 10:21AM by breakdirt916 »

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 57 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook