Topic: Single Rider on a can-am Spyder in the HOV/Diamond Lane. Legal or not?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline mikeK6Gsxr600

Discuss.

google hits are going back and forth.

I see one guy on the 605 from time to time riding solo on his cam-am and thought. That cant be legal since you dont need a motorcycle endorsement ro ride those things....
so its not a motorcycle.
 :-\ :-\ :-\

Signature removed due to excessive size. Max size is 200px

Offline mikeK6Gsxr600

Now i see more posts saying its legal....wtf!!
Signature removed due to excessive size. Max size is 200px

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
Regardless, doesn't really gain you much in most grid lock situations.
ďYou can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...Ē

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
California considers it a motorcycle so of course its legal.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesnít value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesnít value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
I would rock a Polaris slingshot in the carpool lane

Even if a can am wasn't legal, I stopped patrolling it on my bike. Non HOV eligible people are in there daily...I see top-down Jaguars with a single occupant (kinda hard to hide that one)... can't do much about it

Now I exclusively watch for safety situations for me.
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Rogue

Those things are the most useless things ever. Why not just get a Miata? Safer and more comfortable. Why anyone would prefer being in an ATV for the streets is beyond me. A Motorcycle is way more practical, faster, way WAY more maneuverable, easier to park, can split lanes, etc.

Iíve seen assholes in panel trucks driving on the HOV alone. Like anything else in our society, if thereís no enforcement douchebags will take advantage of it. As a society we just do NOT obey common courtesy and sensible rules.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)

If I'm going to be in traffic out in the open, I'd better be able to split lanes.  That's like dating a hot supermodel and not being able to unzip your pants; must be frustrating as hell!!

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
Yes, it's legal. I think the Slingshot is too.

The rest of this thread is completely off topic. Going to hate on Harley-Davidson and Goldwing trike conversions too? Let people ride what they want. If it's not for you, that's fine. Ride what you want. Stop hating.

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
On the 105, with its wide carpool lanes, i have even seen full size Harley trikes split lanes. Doesn't look right and eventually the lane narrows and they fall back in line. Not enough of them out there to worry about one way or the other.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline CBRunyan

• Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • CBRunyan's Gallery
  • AMA Member 1098565
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CBR1000RR
  • Years Riding: 35
Why legal? Is it considered more bike than car?

Rogue

If there is no special license to drive it then itís a car.  I remember reading the reason for the HOV lane is to encourage people to carpool AND reduce traffic and exhaust emissions. Since bikes are able to filter in CA, allowing them on the HOV helps to reduce traffic AND reduce emissions. So allowing 3 wheeled razors on the HOV lanes goes against the intent of the HOV in the first place. It is in the same vein as allowing hybrids in it for the first two years. Nowadays with all the traffic in SoCal the HOV has lost some of its effectiveness.  Iím even more convinced today that the most effective way to avoid the traffic is to ride a motorcycle. Even in the worst traffic conditions a motorcycle is able to use the space that is otherwise unused 99% of the time. The only thing better is flying.

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
"If there is no special license to drive it then itís a car." This is opinion not a fact. :)
Can-am's and Slingshots are both motorcycles in California and you don't need a motorcycle license to operate either one.

If they should or violate the sprit of the HOV lane is a mater of opinion. I don't care is mine, the number of them on the road is a statistical blip on the map as to make them irrelevant to most any conversation.  Live and let live just go out and ride  :17:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesnít value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesnít value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Rogue

I can play this game. 

So if we just ignore the letter of the law and focus on the spirit of the HOV law, then a Razor or it's bigger brother the Slingshot, and a hybrid (for the first two years) being operated by a single person really does not belong in the HOV lane.  Remember the spirit of the law for HOV are:

1)  Reduce traffic congestion by encouraging people to carpool (High Occupancy Vehicle definition)
2)  Reduce exhaust emissions by eliminating more cars on the road
3)  Allow motorcycles (two wheels) because they take up a fraction of the space of a car AND gets way better emissions than a car, as well as encourage people to ride a bike therefore reducing traffic congestion.

A razor has three wheels and takes up as much space as a small car.  If a Razor being operating by one person can use the HOV lane, then why not a Smart Car?  Smart Car might in fact get better fuel efficiency and even take up less room front to back!  Where do we draw the line.

Is this ok to ride in the carpool lane?  Looks like fun and I'm not hating them.  But my point is it pretty much violates the intent of the HOV lane.
https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot-gt-le/

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
Yup...I tried to beat CA traffic with an HOV eligible truck but most days it's still not much faster than regular lanes. The 22 east -> 5 south on a single exit ramp takes awhile...then when you merge with traffic it's still no HOV

On the 405s between seal Beach and bake parkway, it's still pretty backed up in the HOV lane at times

Motorcyle, live near work, or commute after 7pm-5am is the only way to win
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
If you don't like the exceptions to the carpool laws then write your representative.  I appreciate the carpool access for my plug-in hybrid that gets 55 mpg without trying and emits no emissions for at least 38 miles/day, sure it might not save time every drive but it does generally move when the other lanes might not.  A better way to get all traffic flowing: The CHP should do more to enforce distracted driving laws, ticket left-lane campers, and cite carpool violators who probably cause more of a back-up and put motorcyclists at risk due to their poor planning and erratic driving.

Rogue, are you confusing the Polaris RZR with the Can-Am Spyder?  The Razor is a side-by-side, 4 wheel UTV.  The Spyder is the tandem seat, three-wheeled, reverse trike thing. :7:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
If there is no special license to drive it then itís a car.  I remember reading the reason for the HOV lane is to encourage people to carpool AND reduce traffic and exhaust emissions. Since bikes are able to filter in CA, allowing them on the HOV helps to reduce traffic AND reduce emissions. So allowing 3 wheeled razors on the HOV lanes goes against the intent of the HOV in the first place. It is in the same vein as allowing hybrids in it for the first two years. Nowadays with all the traffic in SoCal the HOV has lost some of its effectiveness.  Iím even more convinced today that the most effective way to avoid the traffic is to ride a motorcycle. Even in the worst traffic conditions a motorcycle is able to use the space that is otherwise unused 99% of the time. The only thing better is flying.

I've been commuting on the same stretch of the 405 for a little over 7 years now and I agree, HOV lane has become worthless.  I didn't used to have to split lanes on my morning commute; now I have to split almost the entire way.

Offline FastMoto

• 998cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
Speaking of 405....any idea what the project that is going near Sand Canyon area?

Rogue

Rogue, are you confusing the Polaris RZR with the Can-Am Spyder?  The Razor is a side-by-side, 4 wheel UTV.  The Spyder is the tandem seat, three-wheeled, reverse trike thing. :7:

You're right I'm mistaking the Razor for the Can Am Spider.

Rogue

I've been commuting on the same stretch of the 405 for a little over 7 years now and I agree, HOV lane has become worthless.  I didn't used to have to split lanes on my morning commute; now I have to split almost the entire way.

The city of Irvine has 250k people in it.  Ever ride around there?  The traffic is horrendous even on the surface streets.  I believe this population explosion in Irvine, as well as the far south Orange County (Ladera Ranch, Rancho Mission Viejo, Talega in San Clemente, have also caused the traffic on the I-5 to and from San Diego to become an nightmare.  The HOV lanes are simply overwhelmed like all the other lanes.

If ever there was an evacuation order for South County, we are screwed.  Better to just hop on a boat or a helicopter.  First you have to reach the docks/airport.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile

It has gotten pretty crazy everywhere.  Not too familiar with Irvine though; my commuting is mainly 405 north of HB.

The city of Irvine has 250k people in it.  Ever ride around there?  The traffic is horrendous even on the surface streets.  I believe this population explosion in Irvine, as well as the far south Orange County (Ladera Ranch, Rancho Mission Viejo, Talega in San Clemente, have also caused the traffic on the I-5 to and from San Diego to become an nightmare.  The HOV lanes are simply overwhelmed like all the other lanes.

If ever there was an evacuation order for South County, we are screwed.  Better to just hop on a boat or a helicopter.  First you have to reach the docks/airport.

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 59 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook