Linked Events   |   3 Attendees

Topic: Weekend Dual Sport Trip To California City!  (Read 4252 times)

Rogue

Weekend Dual Sport Trip To California City!
« on: 03/01/18 01:04PM »
I've never been to California City, and only seen pictures and videos from others who have gone.  For those who don't know, California City was created decades ago as a new residential development in the desert, but due to a variety of reasons, it ended up as a half-baked "city" with only a fraction of it developed, a correctional facility, and lots of empty paved and unpaved roads.  There is an area with a country club of sorts, with a few hotels, and even a lake, places to eat, a gas station or two.  But the rest of the area is just an abandoned town.  Perfect for dual sport exploration!

CA City is approximately 150 miles from Orange County, Northeast of Palmdale, bracketed by the 14, 58, & 395. https://goo.gl/maps/8oQNZ4funWK2

Currently, I have two interested members that want to go, plus myself.  The plan is to ride to the city on Saturday, hopefully check in to a nearby hotel to drop off our gear, then explore the myriad roads and trails.  If there's time, maybe ride 33 miles to Ransburg, and or Red Rock Canyon State Park on Sunday, prior to heading back home on Sunday.  This is only a 2 day exploratory trip of the area on Dual Sports, and some light off roading.  We plan to ride our bikes there.  But anyone is welcome to truck their bikes over.  I just don't feel like dealing with the 91/55/5 traffic coming back home in a truck.

When:  March 24th-25th, Sat-Sun.  Meeting location:  McDonald's in Corona off the 91 freeway, Serfas Club Drive exit, right before the I-15 transition:  https://goo.gl/maps/SJSDWd6ZJm82

Meeting Times: 8 AM KSU

Hotels:  available in California City.  We are staying at the Best Western (link to map below).  Let's make this Best Western our staging area on Saturday morning so we can all gather together before we hit the trails.  Meeting time below. 

https://goo.gl/maps/ZFpGdSGJ8FQ2
10386 California City Blvd, California City, CA 93505
Phone: (760) 373-1369
Meeting Time at the hotel:  9:00-9:30AM

Please make reservations ASAP as rooms are running out.  There are other hotels in the area but a bit further out.

Since there are now more attendees, let's all try to leave SoCal around the same time by meeting at a central location somewhere along I-91.  I updated the Meeting Location above.  However, if you prefer to just meet somewhere in CA City, please PM me your cell phone so we can text each other and meet up there.  If you are transporting your ride to CA City, we will be separated anyway as we head up there.  Whichever you prefer, we can work something out so we can all have a staging area on Saturday.
« Last Edit: 03/22/18 09:00AM by Rogue »

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
Re: Weekend Dual Sport Trip To California City!
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/18 01:56PM »
Hmm....that may work if my shock comes back in time
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/18 11:23PM »
Hmmmmm???
Bikers are good people!

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/18 08:02AM »
Well, I clicked the 'Plan to attend' button. Let's hope that doesn't change! Haven't been to California City in literally several decades! I think the last time I was there, I went Skydiving. Prior, it was with the family and friends riding my ATC and driving our sand rail.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/18 11:27AM »
I drive by there when I go gold mining , my claims are 40 mins away , twords the  395 off ransburg Road . BENSON CYN / GULLER GULCH,   right next to Iron cyn right past Last chance cyn .
I will say there are Awsome riding in this area and california city is flat and looks boring .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Rogue

« Reply #5 on: 03/02/18 12:27PM »
FYI if you are thinking of going and you have a dirt bike:  http://www.calcitypd.org/Online-Permit-Pay.html

CA City allows the operation of non-plated dirt bikes and ATV's but you must get a permit and pay a fee.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/09/18 04:42PM »
Friends wanna go to "Price is Right" filming on Sunday, so right now I am thinking ride Saturday... working til 9:15 on Friday so probably just gonna sleep at home and drive up Saturday AM early... although possibly drive up late Friday and setup the back seat of the truck for sleeping

Rogue

« Reply #7 on: 03/10/18 06:59AM »
BD, we signed up to stay at the Best Western in CA City Sat night. If you’re considering going, check available hotels in the area. Apparently it’s really a popular place this time of year and rooms are selling out. Also FYI it’s still cold out there at night. In case you plan to sleep in your truck overnight on Fri.
« Last Edit: 03/10/18 04:36PM by Rogue »

Offline CEYLON

• 125cc
  • CEYLON's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 v-rod (VRSCDX), 05 R1, 05 Road King, 2009 WR250X, 09 R1200GSA.
« Reply #8 on: 03/10/18 08:37AM »
Coyote Cafe is a good place for food.

Rogue

« Reply #9 on: 03/10/18 09:00AM »
Thanks!! We shall give Coyote Cafe a try.

Offline FZ1_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FZ1_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FE 501
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #10 on: 03/10/18 02:20PM »
I'm in.  Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help with logistics.
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Rogue

« Reply #11 on: 03/10/18 05:50PM »
Well alrighty then!  We are getting closer and there may be more than a few joining.

I updated the first post above for hotels and meeting location.  FYI, book the hotel room ASAP.  Be aware of their pricing because they will have two prices:  cancellable and NON-Cancellable.  The latter cost less so beware of this difference.  If it rains that weekend....well we might have to bug out.  So far long range weather says there may be rain that week but nothing in the weekend.  So far so good.

Rogue

« Reply #12 on: 03/15/18 08:29AM »
Long range forecast is looking really good by the weekend of this trip!! Clear and sunny both days!

Offline FastMoto

• 998cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #13 on: 03/15/18 11:03AM »
Man, I wish my hand was healthy enough to attend. With the recent rains, it's gonna be excellent conditions for you all. Please posts some photos and looking forward in hearing about the trip.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/17/18 08:21PM »
since I'm trucking up the 2-stroke, I will likely just meet you guys at the best western...

then I'll leave my truck there and ride out to the desert...I have a 90-110 mile range

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zvijK5cXhRc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zvijK5cXhRc</a>

he sums it up...there's a prison, smooth graded desert roads, silver saddle ranch (a remote resort area), the desert turtoise area, Cal City MX, and of course, amazing views of the desert.

moto geo makes it look more exciting than it is LOL...I remember the off-roading being the usual open desert with some smoother sections from the city setup

but he shows you can only make a dual sport trip as good as you're willing to make it...there's terrain to see and things to find...just gotta ride and see what happens. But after watching that video, I would kinda like to spend a weekend out there...I'd likely bring the Vstrom for some light off-roading, but also ride pavement to Randsburg, the Mojave airport/boneyard site, boron abandoned prison, edwards air force base...then also take the dual sport out to the husky monument, cuddeback dry lake bed, and Trona pinnacles.
« Last Edit: 03/17/18 08:27PM by breakdirt916 »

Rogue

« Reply #15 on: 03/17/18 08:37PM »
The Mojave Aircraft Boneyard is fenced off. Can't access it like one could in the 1990's.

Rogue

« Reply #16 on: 03/20/18 12:50PM »
72 Hours to lift off!  Woohoo!

Weather report shows rain on Wed-Thur, clear but windy on Saturday.  The ride up and over the Cajone Pass will be interesting.

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
« Reply #17 on: 03/22/18 08:40AM »
Cal City after the rain or in light rain is heavenly. Miss that place. Have a vreat trip.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Rogue

« Reply #18 on: 03/22/18 09:04AM »
To all attendees:  Meeting times for this Saturday have been updated in the first post above.  Google map link to the Best Western hotel is now included.

Since not everyone is riding to Cal City and instead trailering their bikes, let's all rally at the Best Western Hotel parking lot sometime around 9AM-9:30AM.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03/22/18 02:00PM »
-3 days or a week in advance - air up your tires, change the oil, see if anyone else wants to ride...get parts as needed (ie. oil, chain lube, gopro mounts, etc.)
-2 nights before: do laundry (good chance gear is still filthy from last time)
-1 night before: load bike, ramps, pack up gear into bag, camel bak, get water/pack snacks/lunch, 4-stroke gas, 2-stroke gas, shower/clean up, go to bed early, prepare food and refrigerate so you can just re-heat it the next day. CHARGE your gopro/camera batteries

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 52 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook