Topic: Lanesplitting aka Lanesharing etiquette  (Read 3552 times)

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
Re: Lanesplitting aka Lanesharing etiquette
« Reply #20 on: 03/24/18 07:37PM »
Yea. I've sort of dulled on both ends of the gammut with cars. Cut me off or blocke me. Yeah whatevahs. Move over nearly running scraping a mirror on the K-rail, okay you get a wave. Move over like you should and not being a dick? No wave. What i can't  spend all day parade waving every car for doing what's normal. It can be a distraction. I have a tendency to wave at cars who crowd me. As if to say, "here I am. You missed me. I am a real person inside all this gear by the way". Trying to curb all the hostilities.
I flipped a couple drivers in the rain the other day. In reflection it wasn't all their fault i got forced into a skid and steer near miss maneuver. We were all three being too aggressive and I put myself in that position. No ones perfect.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #21 on: 03/24/18 09:03PM »
"No ones perfect."
That's really the bottom line isn't it.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline paul13131313

• 599cc
  • paul13131313's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Fury/2015 Repsol SP
  • Years Riding: 13 years
« Reply #22 on: 03/24/18 09:18PM »
Slight, quick head bob to full, slow head bow for courteousnes drivers from me but, like I previously stated, a majority of 4 wheel plus vehicles have been responding with courteousnes. If I miss one or two, I trust they don't take it personal.

When I rode my 2007 CBR600RR in white with white helmet, gloves, suit and boots, it was amazing to see two car simultaneously JUMP to the left and right to let me through! I miss that bike and still chuckle about that to this day.

I one time enjoyed this hairy old biker on a rat bike splitting lanes up the 101, taking his hands alternately off the ape hangers to wave to the courteous and  backhand the un-courteous.  Just putting along, right hand wave and left hand SMACK!, left hand wave, etc. Bwahahahahaha!

Yea, had a motor officer pull right up behind me, on the freeway, inside my mirror view. He must have been 2 feet behind me! Real cute public servant. Or the one that pulls you over and is disappointed you did'nt run for it! Don't get that anymore with the cameras. Actually, that's how the cameras on the helmet started. I'll write that another day.
« Last Edit: 03/24/18 09:22PM by paul13131313 »

Offline BCMC

« Reply #23 on: 03/25/18 08:14AM »
Two things I'd like to respond to.
One is using your high beam.  It's aggravating to be blinded by someone following you with their high beam on.  It also makes it difficult to determine their distance behind you.
Two, following too close makes you invisible behind my bike (FJR).  I check my mirrors constantly but if you follow in my blind spot your endangering both of us.  Hang back a little with your low beam on please.
Carry on.

People don't understand that some people are more sensitive to bright light than they may be. It can be dangerous to be blinded by bright lights. This is why it is against the law, not to mention rude and selfish drive with your brights on around other cars or bikes.
Please people don't do it.

Illegal only at night... 

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03/25/18 09:34AM »
I'm no lawyer by code make no mention of only  forbidding high seems only soecifies that lights must be on at night.

Personally high beams can effect my vision night and day.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=24409.&lawCode=VEH

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline Kota

• 749cc
  • Kota's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02' Honda 954rr
« Reply #25 on: 03/26/18 03:26PM »
Motorcyclist are some of the dumbest  people. We all think we are so "responsible" talking about lane sharing etiquette, when in reality you have all rode your bikes stoned and legally drunk. The fact that places like Cook's corner, a biker bar, exists says it all. Ever rider is full of delusions thinking they are more responsible, and mentally sharp over others. When in reality it's a community of LUCKY people. 

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #26 on: 03/26/18 04:17PM »
And yet I still buy lotto tickets and am still not a millionaire...  :4:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #27 on: 03/26/18 05:11PM »
Well... 

This thread just set a knee down and took a turn for the interesting!

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
« Reply #28 on: 03/26/18 06:14PM »
YAY Kota is here to "rescue" the thread.
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03/26/18 08:54PM »
Never ever had a beer and rode been stoned once in my life 38 years ago and drove a VW bug that night so never rode stoned either. Proving your ignorance once again. Have a shot and a beer and do a couple of rips on your bong and enjoy your ride.

Sam Harris

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
« Reply #30 on: 03/27/18 10:47AM »

LOL  I never rode stoned or drunk.  Most I ever had was one beer when riding but I don't do that anymore either because then I have to pull over to pee  :32:  And I certainly wouldn't do it when commuting; the days of having a beer at 7am are long over LOL!!

Offline Malkey

• I'm English
  • 749cc
  • Malkey's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 and 2014 Aprilia 750 Shiver
  • Years Riding: 36
« Reply #31 on: 03/27/18 02:30PM »
Two things I'd like to respond to.
One is using your high beam.  It's aggravating to be blinded by someone following you with their high beam on.  It also makes it difficult to determine their distance behind you.
Two, following too close makes you invisible behind my bike (FJR).  I check my mirrors constantly but if you follow in my blind spot your endangering both of us.  Hang back a little with your low beam on please.
Carry on.

People don't understand that some people are more sensitive to bright light than they may be. It can be dangerous to be blinded by bright lights. This is why it is against the law, not to mention rude and selfish drive with your brights on around other cars or bikes.
Please people don't do it.
I agree with this. Plus it makes it more difficult to judge your speed and distance as well as giving you a false sense of security.   
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.

I'd rather play rugby and lose than play football and win.

"I'd rather wank off my dad than ride a Harley."
John McGuiness

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
« Reply #32 on: 03/28/18 12:56PM »
Flashing your highbeams is an acceptable communication tool during daylight hours. Simply means I want to pass or if a car/truck is signalling a lane change that they are clear to do so into your lane. Let's stop normalizing hypersensitivity. I am not in charge of anyones emotions but my own. Not honking, hitting the rev limiter wielding the bird. Simply on off  once or twice and wait and see.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline BCMC

« Reply #33 on: 03/28/18 03:22PM »
Motorcyclist are some of the dumbest  people... When in reality it's a community of LUCKY people.

Gotta make your own luck, son.

Rogue

« Reply #34 on: 03/28/18 04:22PM »
Flashing your highbeams is an acceptable communication tool during daylight hours. Simply means I want to pass or if a car/truck is signalling a lane change that they are clear to do so into your lane. Let's stop normalizing hypersensitivity. I am not in charge of anyones emotions but my own. Not honking, hitting the rev limiter wielding the bird. Simply on off  once or twice and wait and see.

We’re a society of hypersensitive people. Just look at this site and others on FB etc....can’t say or do anything semi-assertive without getting chastised for being a dick. People spend way too much time on social media, reading bad news, judging others.... Just ride your own ride and be happy that you can.

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03/28/18 04:57PM »
Next time you get behind a "camper" don't get upset just remind yourself your being hypersensitive smile and go around 😁

You never know what's gonna set somebody off I'd rather be in my truck than on a bike if I'm gonna push someone's goad rage button.

Sam Harris

Rogue

« Reply #36 on: 03/28/18 05:37PM »
I don’t. I just go around them and be done with it.

I’m not going to be responsible for other people’s hypersensitivity. They have the right to drive at their speed and I have the right to go around them. I’m at peace with that.

Offline BOXER

« Reply #37 on: 03/30/18 06:15AM »
I agree.  The person sending that signal also needs to check their emotions and give it a reasonable amount of time.  I'll move as soon as it's safe for ME.  Be patient.  Look at the big picture.  If it takes 45 seconds to get their attention and another 30 seconds to move will not ruin your whole day.  Leave 90 seconds earlier on your ride. :3:

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 9
« Reply #38 on: 03/31/18 08:44AM »
knock 5 mph off your lane sharing speed and see how many more people move over for you.

Also - people are garbage trucks.

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #39 on: 03/31/18 04:28PM »
I'm no lawyer by code make no mention of only  forbidding high seems only soecifies that lights must be on at night.

Personally high beams can effect my vision night and day.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=24409.&lawCode=VEH

Nightime rules:
24409.  Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated during darkness, the driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to the following requirements and limitations:
(a) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver.
The lowermost distribution of light specified in this article shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times regardless of road contour.
(b) Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle within 300 feet to the rear, he shall use the lowermost distribution of light specified in this article.
(Amended by Stats. 1965, Ch. 37.)

Daytime:
Any motorcycle may be equipped with a means of modulating the upper beam of the headlamp between a high and a lower brightness at a rate of 200 to 280 flashes per minute. Such headlamps shall not be so modulated during darkness.

(Added by Stats. 1980, Ch. 35, Sec. 1. Effective March 7, 1980.)

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 65 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook