Topic: Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control = Another hazard for motorcyclists  (Read 563 times)

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
In July 2016, a Tesla Model S in Norway rear-ended a motorcyclist while in Autopilot mode. The car failed to sense the vehicle ahead, and the driver failed to remain vigilant, despite Tesla’s warnings to do so while using Autopilot. The rider was seriously injured, but survived. 

From the article: "...all ACC (adaptive cruise control) systems studied were worse at spotting motorcycles straying three feet, 11 inches or more from the center line than they were at spotting cars."  As if distracted drivers weren't enough, now we have distracted drivers relying on sensors and computers to keep them safe causing a greater danger to us on two wheels!  >:(

Article here: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/study-dont-trust-assisted-driving-systems-to-see-motorcyclists
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
In July 2016, a Tesla Model S in Norway rear-ended a motorcyclist while in Autopilot mode. The car failed to sense the vehicle ahead, and the driver failed to remain vigilant, despite Tesla’s warnings to do so while using Autopilot. The rider was seriously injured, but survived. 

From the article: "...all ACC (adaptive cruise control) systems studied were worse at spotting motorcycles straying three feet, 11 inches or more from the center line than they were at spotting cars."  As if distracted drivers weren't enough, now we have distracted drivers relying on sensors and computers to keep them safe causing a greater danger to us on two wheels!  >:(

Article here: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/study-dont-trust-assisted-driving-systems-to-see-motorcyclists
This is one reason to constantly check your 6 when riding. Have people become so lazy that they no longer want to drive on their own?
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
I still almost trust flawed computers over human drivers, though. Key word.. almost.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
I still almost trust flawed computers over human drivers, though. Key word.. almost.

I'm still not sure why these driver aids hasn't incorporated thermal imaging as part of their sensors, granted it might sense hundreds of images a second, but I guarantee if they can make it work then that lady crossing the road in Arizona might be alive today along with preventing the very first fatality where the Tesla struck that tractor-trailer at high speed.   
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: A quiet red truck.
  • Years Riding: 37, Years Training Riders: 15
This is one reason to constantly check your 6 when riding. Have people become so lazy that they no longer want to drive on their own?

^ That.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline postulio4joo

• 998cc
  • postulio4joo's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Ducati 848
  • Years Riding: Over a couple of years

Sad to say, but I would rather trust some sort of assisted driving than someone who's under the influence or texting. While auto pilot is far from perfect, its development is critical to our distractions.

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
Trust no one and nothing.
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 43 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook