Topic: commuting on the 22 fwy is worse than the 405  (Read 1058 times)

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
now commuting from HB to Orange. what a cluster
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
Re: commuting on the 22 fwy is worse than the 405
« Reply #1 on: 08/29/18 09:36AM »
what do you mean...carpool lane the whole way

the worst part is when you're doing 80 and traffic is stopped and someone pulls out

or if you're in a non-hov car...then it sucks
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Gone in 60

• 599cc
  • Gone in 60's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200R, Triumph Bonneville
  • Years Riding: 10 years
« Reply #2 on: 08/29/18 10:06AM »
I live in Orange close to the 55/22 interchange. If you are commuting from Orange back to HB in the evening, I feel for you. There is a daily accident on the 22 at the Grand off-ramp, clogging the interchange. Granted, on a bike, you can probably squeak past that mess if you're careful. Coming the other way, you've got the fustercluck that is the 22/5/57 interchange, but you can at least clear that mess in the HOV lane. My best friend was a city planner for Garden Grove when they built that debacle, and he says that the guy who designed that interchange is still in a cage somewhere, being beaten daily.

Other than those two spots, just be careful for cops looking for speeders and HOV violators.
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Offline FastMoto

• 998cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #3 on: 08/29/18 03:18PM »
Hard to imagine the cluster is worse than the current state of the 405 with all the construction going on. I gotta take that god-forsaken freeway every morning and evening, I'm pretty sure it has aged me and put a few more grey hairs on my head.

Offline 1fastrider

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
« Reply #4 on: 08/31/18 09:15PM »
So far every morning multiple crashes, carpool lane almost stopped and I'm not gonna dare to speed most of the way due to the previously mentioned people jumping in and out.  I miss the old double yellow.  My 16 mile commute from HB to Orange/Main place takes 40 min even with me speeding where possible.   My old commute from hb to Irvine seemed easier but may be it wasn't

I've tried going up beach to the 22 and also goldenwest to 22 and GW to 405 then 22.  IF anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 08/31/18 09:18PM by 1fastrider »

Offline CBRunyan

• Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • CBRunyan's Gallery
  • AMA Member 1098565
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CBR1000RR
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #5 on: 09/01/18 05:23PM »
I ride the 405 LB to Tustin each day. They took away the median that provided riders space to flow through traffic. Everything is now packed tighter together. It's threading needles for 22 full miles each day. In 35 years of riding, I'd only come in contact with a car once. I have three times in a month with this new freeway configuration. And that is now on the 22 and will be throughout So Cal.
Now implicit in the three bumps I've shared with some cars lately is that the problem must be me. The landscape has changed and I haven't changed how traverse it. Most important is patience. That cagers are going to inattentive asshats is a given. I can't control that. So I must address me. The biggest adjustment needed is not in how I sit in the saddle or blip the throttle. The space between my ears is the problem. The last few days, I've paid closer attention to how I'm feeling being squeezed in so tight with cars. By paying attention to my own head, I'm catching my own temper and am able to check it. I've not had any close calls in a few days now. I will need to continue to refine this as, again, all So Cal freeways will eventually become like the 405 and 22.       

Offline 1fastrider

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
« Reply #6 on: 09/01/18 06:47PM »
no close calls for me yet tho I have major patience issues that I see now that I'm old.  I have moved past getting mad at people for the most part so that helps I think. strangely I've seen many people in afternoon traffic give me huge amounts of room when splitting the car pool lane. i didnt see this in the 405 so welcome change. i try to give them all a big peace as i go by

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #7 on: 09/01/18 06:50PM »
I ride the 405 LB to Tustin each day. They took away the median that provided riders space to flow through traffic. Everything is now packed tighter together. It's threading needles for 22 full miles each day. In 35 years of riding, I'd only come in contact with a car once. I have three times in a month with this new freeway configuration. And that is now on the 22 and will be throughout So Cal.
Now implicit in the three bumps I've shared with some cars lately is that the problem must be me. The landscape has changed and I haven't changed how traverse it. Most important is patience. That cagers are going to inattentive asshats is a given. I can't control that. So I must address me. The biggest adjustment needed is not in how I sit in the saddle or blip the throttle. The space between my ears is the problem. The last few days, I've paid closer attention to how I'm feeling being squeezed in so tight with cars. By paying attention to my own head, I'm catching my own temper and am able to check it. I've not had any close calls in a few days now. I will need to continue to refine this as, again, all So Cal freeways will eventually become like the 405 and 22.       

^ That.

We adjust, because we must.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline MurdaJ

« Reply #8 on: 09/07/18 10:24PM »

^ That.

We adjust, because we must.

Ride on,

J~

Should be the maxim of life
Need a mechanic? Avoid Oc Motorcycle Shop/Superchicken Drew

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 47 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything