Topic: Balancing the tire : beads vs the old fashion block tags  (Read 1562 times)

Offline sgt_0331

• 998cc
  • sgt_0331's Gallery
  • Just enjoy life!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: White & Blue Gsxr1000
  • Years Riding: since 2002
I have had the luxury of riding several different motorcycles and tires ranging from metzlers, Dunlop, Michelinís etc . But this is the first time I am riding them with beads in them. Whatís is your opinion on them ?  :17: so far I didnít feel any vibration and took them to 100 mph, until I ran straight up to the tail of a CHP unmarked suv  :21:

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
Being that I change and balance my own tires, I prefer not to have to deal with beads, particularly when changing the tire. Although it can sometimes take a little more time to get some tires balanced with traditional wheel weights, I have found that once I did get then balanced, I never have to worry about them. I have been doing a lot of track time lately and have to say that 100+ MPH is the norm on most straights and I have never had an issue (knock on wood). The best part of the latter is, no CHP performance awards have ever been handed to me.
ďYou can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...Ē

Offline paul13131313

• 599cc
  • paul13131313's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Fury/2015 Repsol SP
  • Years Riding: 13 years
I'm going to stick with the block weights. Beads are a mess according to my shop and I don't need any more interaction with the CHP than normal. Interesting side effect!

Offline 1fastrider

• AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • 1fastrider's Gallery
  • I only have to be faster than 1 person....
    • View Profile
    • Elite Riders
  • Bike: '17 S1000RR, '14 675R
  • Years Riding: 100 yrs
had them once before. didn't notice any diff but I'm not doing the changes myself so..
If you are offended by my posts that's your problem

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)

Interesting concept.  Would the beads cause any wear on the inside of the tire? 

Offline venomenon83

I use beads... wheel looks clean and no more sticky tape residue. Just donít try to insertsíem through the valve stem.

Offline sgt_0331

• 998cc
  • sgt_0331's Gallery
  • Just enjoy life!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: White & Blue Gsxr1000
  • Years Riding: since 2002
So I have put about 130 miles on the new tires and no vibration yet. I like the clean look. As to being a mess well I wonít be taking them off myself. Rather pay to have them taken off and put back on. And as to wearing out the inside I donít think so since they are non metallic and they would swirl around the rubber not the rim.

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• I can't wheelie my 1000 :-( JK
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
  • I FIX BIKES - 714 798 4077
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many.
  • Years Riding: 9
Beads are the way to go, I have been using them for 6 or so years now and wont go back. I do my own tires and they are NOT a mess unless you suck at changing tires lol.

sgt_0331 = jerry?

Offline venomenon83

Interesting concept.  Would the beads cause any wear on the inside of the tire?

This are super fine beads, I highly doubt itíll damage the inside wall of your tire.

Offline BCMC

Beads are the way to go, I have been using them for 6 or so years now and wont go back. I do my own tires and they are NOT a mess unless you suck at changing tires lol.

Yup...  Done track days with them.  Always leaves tech inspection scratching their heads!

Offline Klaus

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Klaus's Gallery
  • I fix problems.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too Many
  • Years Riding: Too Many
I've maxed the bike out at GPS-confirmed 193 with the internal beads. I didn't run name brand either, I went with non-biodegradable alternatives and have been reusing my set for 4 years in at least 7 tires.  Burnouts, Whoolies, track days, commute, canyon, low-speed, and high-speed.

Modern wheels / bearings / name-brand tires are so light it hardly even matters to balance them in the first place.  '80's 3-piece steel rims with tubes and steel-belted radials, now that's another story.

The largest effect is a tire that isn't out of round.  If you lock up the rear repeatedly you'll have flat spots.  If you drop the front wheel at 120 while riding out a wheelie for 30 seconds, you actually lose a small portion of the front tire and a puff of smoke from a recording third person will confirm it.
Efficiency is beauty.  Patterns rule the world.

Offline Don

• Just Don.
  • Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Don's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6 Charcoal Grey
  • Years Riding: 35
I have been running Dyna beads now for 10 years in my R6 that has over 73,000 miles.  First few years I had a shop mount tires and they had no issues with the beads.  I then started mounting tires myself and was easily able to recover beads to use in next set of tires.  Never even know they were there and no annoying stick-on weight glue to clean after each tire change.

"If you want to realize how inattentive you are as a driver, ride a motorcycle."

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 54 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything