Topic: Need recommendation on a cheap/fair dirt bike mechanic - Closest to Southbay  (Read 476 times)

I have a 2000 WR400F that I can't figure out what the issue is. It starts, but any time I give it gas, it dies immediately. I consider myself a decent mechanic/troubleshooter (worked on a decent amount of bikes, but not a good/amazing mechanic by any means), but this one has gotten me stumped.

I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of tinkering with it and want to drop it off at a mechanic. Anyone have any good recommendations for someone who can look it over/repair it for me for a reasonable price? I'm in Southbay so closer to southbay would be great, but I am willing to drive if the mechanic is trustworthy.

Just let me know! Thanks!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
That bike scares me

Guessing you already ultra sonic cleaned the carbs

Inside Line Moto, Orange - Matt
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Yup, I've cleaned my fair share of carbs for multiple bikes with great success. Did the same cleaning routine with this one, and issue still persists.
This is the first carb bike I;ve worked on with an accelerator pump. That might be the issue, but since I have no experience with them, couldn't tell you. I know (to the best of my ability, pretty confident) the pathways are all open and clean though. 

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
Have you searched the thumper forums for the problem?  Chances are someone else has been there.

Luck,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Have you searched the thumper forums for the problem?  Chances are someone else has been there.

Luck,

J~

Yup, I've been searching all the forums, youtube, etc..... It appears to be a jetting issue, and honestly feel like I don't know the concepts well enough to really troubleshoot it. I feel like I'm just blindly guessing right now. I put the stock jetting back and now it won't idle without choke but I can apply throttle fine. It just seems like I can't get the right "jetting ratio."

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
More reason for me to fear the 400/426 design...gotta get the jetting ratio right, or bust lol

So before it would idle without choke but stall when you applied throttle?

And now it will stay running with light throttle and roll-on smooth but won’t idle?

On a basic carb that means go up one size on the pilot jet?

FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
Ken in Cypress 714-423-4273 he can fix anything tell him I sent ya.
Bikers are good people!

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16

Luck,

J~

Yup, I've been searching all the forums, youtube, etc..... It appears to be a jetting issue, and honestly feel like I don't know the concepts well enough to really troubleshoot it. I feel like I'm just blindly guessing right now. I put the stock jetting back and now it won't idle without choke but I can apply throttle fine. It just seems like I can't get the right "jetting ratio."

Wow.  Sorry that there's nothing out there on it. 

I'd be suspicious of the airbox seals and air filter as vacuum is a huge factor when dealing with carbs. No vacuum, no fuel when you give it gas.  I'm restoring another Ninja and it had the same problem.  A badly installed K&N was causing it.

Keep us posted on what it is.

Luck,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Kyle_A

• 749cc
  • Kyle_A's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha WR450, 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2017 CRF 250R
  • Years Riding: 10
Did you check the accelerator jet diaphragm? If its dry or cracked or rotted that will cause that.  Ask me how I know

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 47 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook