Topic: Fatal mc crash around the corner from my house - heard it happen  (Read 215 times)

Offline Gone in 60

• 749cc
  • Gone in 60's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB1100, Triumph Bonneville
  • Years Riding: 11 years
I just now read this, and deep, deep RIP to this rider. A motorcyclist was killed yesterday when he struck the back of a firetruck that was backing into traffic on Prospect Ave. in Orange, less than a block from my house. Here's a link to a video someone must have been taking from the sidewalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gf2_YQu8h8

This happened where Prospect makes a 90 degree turn and becomes Collins Ave. I live in the condo complex that is up against that sweeping turn, and our entry/exit gate is right after the turn. Fast drivers and riders love to take that curve at high speeds, and there are frequent crashes. On both sides of the turn, there are flashing yellow lights, 35 mph speed signs, and due to the frequency of high speed crashes, concrete barriers dividing the two directions of traffic in the curve to prevent head-on crashes.

On a daily basis, I hear every manner of fast vehicle taking that turn at high speed - motorcycles, loud V8s, raspy imports, you name it. For some reason, it's a magnet for speeders. Every few months, that curve is shut down to clear up a crash, and we have to turn around and take "the long way home" to get to our gate.

Late yesterday afternoon, I went home early to work on our washing machine in the garage. I heard a sport bike at full chat heading into that curve, and thought to myself, as I always do, "man, that sounds fast". I didn't hear the sound of the crash, but heard the throttle cut off, figuring that he was through the turn, past the "fun part" of the road, and had throttled back. The fire station is just down from the site of the crash, so if there were sirens at all to respond to the crash, they wouldn't have registered in my mind - I hear sirens from that department all the time.

Later on, my wife called, telling me she was going to be late getting home because the curve was closed again for a crash and she had to turn around to find another way into our complex.

Just looked this morning to see what the crash was, and learned that it was that same bike that I must have heard screaming into the curve. He struck a firetruck that was backing out from a side street. It must have been a very hard hit, as the three fire fighters in the truck were also injured. I pray for the family of the fallen rider, and for the fire fighters.

I go through that curve and pass the site of that crash at least twice a day. Knowing the distance of that side street from the point in the curve where you can see the side street, If I were going anything less than about 55 mph, I'd be able to bring a truck, let alone a sport bike, to a complete stop before I hit anything coming off of that street where the fire truck was. I can't imagine how fast that bike must have been going.

Very, very sad to read.

« Last Edit: 06/06/19 09:02AM by Gone in 60 »
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
That's heart breaking. 

Hoping the rider rests in peace.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Gone in 60

• 749cc
  • Gone in 60's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB1100, Triumph Bonneville
  • Years Riding: 11 years
Passing that spot last night, there's a large memorial set up on the corner. I was in the middle of a garage project that had me making multiple trips to Home Depot, and each time I passed, there were people holding candles. As much as I wanted to stop, I couldn't bring myself to do it. It was too sad. My wife just left town on family business, and when she gets back in a few days, that spot is on our evening walks, so I know we'll stop there each night, and I'll pay my respects.

Also, each time I went through the turn, I put myself in different lane positions, and watched for the point at which I'd be able to see the fire truck. Looking at the position of the fire truck on the multiple sources of news coverage, it had just barely started to back into the roadway. There were two clear lanes of traffic to pass by it. I used to do accident reconstruction work, and I pass this spot daily, so it keeps going through my mind. At any speed the bike may have been going, even well above the speed limit, the rider should have easily been able to pass the truck if the road was clear. There had to have been a contributing factor. Maybe he was behind a car that panic braked when it saw the fire truck or there were other vehicles trying to get around the truck, and he swerved to avoid, or someone could have been standing in the middle of the road to help direct the truck as it was backing.

Also, as I was working in my garage until the wee hours, I heard someone else come up to that turn, drop a gear and mash the throttle. From the V8 and humming of large tires, I figured a lifted truck. I thought "Real nice. You're going to go speeding through that turn, and you're going to fly past a group of people holding a vigil for someone who just lost his life there."
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
Feel bad for all involved. I have to remind myself often not to over commit on those fun little bits of on ramps and exits on my commute.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F
02 YZ250F
2000 CR125R
01 WR250F

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 36 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook