Topic: Plating a dirt Bike  (Read 1409 times)

Offline agl675

Plating a dirt Bike
« on: 07/13/09 09:38PM »
Is it possible to plate a dirt bike if it wasn't originally purchased from the dealer as a street legal vehicle. I know you can add the turn signals, mirrors etc. after market but I was told that you can no longer convert dirt bikes as street legal bikes in CA... is that true?

Offline J007B

• 749cc
  • J007B's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Hayabusa, 2004 Honda RC51, 2005 Harley Softail, 1980 Yamaha 1100 Midnight Special
  • Years Riding: 34
Re: Plating a dirt Bike
« Reply #1 on: 07/13/09 09:50PM »
That's a good question. But I don't see why you couldn't. A lot of custom bikes are built from the frame up, never bought from a dealer, you just take it in and have it inspected.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

Offline agl675

« Reply #2 on: 07/13/09 10:04PM »
That's what i thought but I am hearing otherwise from a few sources. What i am trying to do is by a cheaper dirt bike that i can convert to a supermoto bike but i want to take it out on the street as well. Buying a supermoto plated bike seems to be far more expensive than buying a dirt bike that can be converted.

That's a good question. But I don't see why you couldn't. A lot of custom bikes are built from the frame up, never bought from a dealer, you just take it in and have it inspected.

Offline J007B

• 749cc
  • J007B's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Hayabusa, 2004 Honda RC51, 2005 Harley Softail, 1980 Yamaha 1100 Midnight Special
  • Years Riding: 34
« Reply #3 on: 07/13/09 10:10PM »
I think it would be worth a trip to the DMV to find out.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

Offline CaseyMcC

• None
  • 998cc
  • CaseyMcC's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06 HD Sportster 1200
  • Years Riding: M1 in 01
« Reply #4 on: 07/13/09 10:15PM »
I think the only trouble you would have is if it is a 2-stroke. Other than that, you should be good to go with the conversion.

Good luck!
Seriously, Get over it.

Offline hh97

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • hh97's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Anything that runs
  • Years Riding: 5 years
« Reply #5 on: 07/14/09 12:17AM »
Last I heard, CA put an end to this idea around 2005 (maybe even earlier). If the bike has not been converted to a "Duel Sport/Enduro" already, then your S.O.L.  If your trying to build a supermoto, your looking at the price of the bike plus $2000 in suspension. Motards and dirt bikes are more different the most think. Here in CA it is best to buy it street legal and build it the way you want it.
The guys ditched me. I am now lost, cold and all alone. It is getting dark and I hear laughing. Please send help.

[IMG]http://i10

Offline calamari

• Devil's Advocate
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • calamari's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 KLR650
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #6 on: 07/14/09 01:49AM »
Good luck getting a plate for a bike that didn't come with one. California wants motorcyclists to go away. The only sure fire way the I have heard of is to get it registered out of state, meaning you have property in AZ or NV, and can get registered (you will still need signals, horn, lights, and plate mounting). But I have personally seen a barstool with a motor attached to it with a AZ plate on it. Otherwise DMV will make you pay all the way untill they tell you it can't be done.

You're better off buying a used DR-Z400 or KLR, or if you're bling'n a new 530EXC

Offline erkishhorde

« Reply #7 on: 07/14/09 08:18AM »
Good luck getting a plate for a bike that didn't come with one. California wants motorcyclists to go away. The only sure fire way the I have heard of is to get it registered out of state, meaning you have property in AZ or NV, and can get registered (you will still need signals, horn, lights, and plate mounting). But I have personally seen a barstool with a motor attached to it with a AZ plate on it. Otherwise DMV will make you pay all the way untill they tell you it can't be done.

You're better off buying a used DR-Z400 or KLR, or if you're bling'n a new 530EXC

+1
I investigated this and the only way I came up with being able to do it was a few hundred dollars in parts plus having to truck the bike across the border to get it registered and then bringing it back and re-registering it in CA. You have to truck the bike across the border because they're going to want to inspect the lights in person. A big pain in the ass. By the time you add up all the gas, parts, and registration fees you've almost bought a new bike.

Offline agl675

« Reply #8 on: 07/14/09 05:39PM »
That sounds like a pain in the butt. Well i guess i will just have to track down an already plated one. I am looking at a dirt bike vs. a new supermoto as i would like the option of going back to a dirt setup for light trial riding. I have a buddy who did this to his KTM 550 and he primarily rides it on the dirt but he bought supermoto wheels and threw them on and off he went on a canyon run with us. The bike looks like alot of fun.

+1
I investigated this and the only way I came up with being able to do it was a few hundred dollars in parts plus having to truck the bike across the border to get it registered and then bringing it back and re-registering it in CA. You have to truck the bike across the border because they're going to want to inspect the lights in person. A big pain in the ass. By the time you add up all the gas, parts, and registration fees you've almost bought a new bike.

Offline Tripple7s

« Reply #9 on: 07/14/09 07:06PM »
you have to buy a bike with a plate on it, 03 and earlier bikes that have been plated for dual sport are still legal to ride on the street, bikes that slipped into the system 04-05 converted dirtbikes are slowly having their plates revoked. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BUY A 04. Basically those are the only ways to have a dirtbike with a street plate, otherwise you need to go out of state, and CHP will pull you over, it is not a secret that dualsports are very rare these days so most out of state bikes will be pulled over by a chp to check the driver's registered address.

for custom bikes they are registered under a completely different category of the dmv, custom bikes are called special construction and have to be exactly as stated, aftermarket frame, engine, tranny, fenders... its a peiced together bike. CA is a joke when it comes to anything fun lol

04 SV650S, 03 GSXR600 Front end w/big brakes, PDR CNC ported heads, Custom Cams with Billet Adjusters. 13:1 Pistons

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 48 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook