Topic: High School Kids suspended for wearing American Flag T-Shirt on Cinco De Mayo  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Kevin

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Kevin's Gallery
  • formerly known as "Rhinle"
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Ducati 848
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179?GT1=43001

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, 'fat chance.'

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school dp not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Triumph D675 SE
  • Years Riding: 2 wheels: Apr 2007. Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)

LOL  While it's poor taste, you can't really blame anyone for wearing their country's colors.
Signature removed due to excessive size. Max size is 200px

GODZILLA

That's BS.  Let them wear whatever they want anytime they want.  They probably missed a few classes which would make me angry as a parent!

Our education system obviously doesn't know that Mexico's Independence Day is really September 16th.

Offline 64galaxie427

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • 64galaxie427's Gallery
  • Life, Disability and Mortgage Protection Insurance
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08 Ducati 1098, 69 Triumph Daytona 500
  • Years Riding: 12
Here is my take on this. You are in America and have all these freedoms that many other countries don't have. So why would you be upset because someone is wearing a shirt with our flag. I can see that some are angry since it is a Mexican holiday but I think they should also be proud that they are in this country as well and have these freedoms.
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about.

Offline JambaJuice

It is total BS...granted wearing it during Cinco De Mayo was in bad taste...and yes could lead to scuffles etc...

But they (the school) are suppressing our Freedom of Rights as Americans...

Just stupid...

Offline krgdesigns

So are we going to say there will be no soccer, or soccer jerseys to be worn on the 4th of July? Thats dumb its our country, feel happy you are here and have freedoms and we celebrate and recognize other cultures holidays. Obviously the people complaining aren't proud of their country

Offline Stoico

• 599cc
  • Stoico's Gallery
  • Mad Chemist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CBR600 F4I
  • Years Riding: 5
I cant believe the news needs to report this crap!

Offline alejo

• 749cc
  • alejo's Gallery
  • Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 R6
  • Years Riding: a while

i agree, there are much more important topics that need coverage. to be wasting time on pimple face high school kids and their shirts

Offline stormy

Mexican flags were flying all over the IE yesterday - no principle without a death wish would have expelled any child for wearing a t-shirt with one yesterday.

Despite the fact it's a foreign countries holiday celebrated by people who love it so much they left....
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law - Winston Churchill

Offline BroChaos

• inmate 0805343847
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • BroChaos's Gallery
  • Go Blue!
    • View Profile
    • Me
  • Bike: 2007 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 2
you know they did it just to piss them off, just to start trouble.  but still, they should be allowed to wear whatever they want. 
that's crescent fresh...
still down here dancing with the GrooGrux King...
if you think loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride could do...

Offline Dan

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Dan's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 01 CBR 929RR
  • Years Riding: Since 04'
and that is what America is coming too.......

Offline tehrawr

• paradox
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • tehrawr's Gallery
  • invisibility is a relative thing
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 S2R1K : GSXR600K8 : 2004 Zuma 70 : 07' ex250 [sold]
  • Years Riding: since aug.2007
administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.
:41:

the more i learn about how much we waste in taxpayer funds on asshat education administrators like this, the more it makes me ill.  

then i read stories like this and wonder why that model isn't instituted nationwide immediately?  at these charter schools this story wouldn't have happened, because there is a dress code and the staff won't put up with this weak ass ish.

it's not about expressing american pride or freedom, this story is totally about the FAILURE of the state drove into the ground [can't say run] education clusterfk.

Offline stormy

the funny thing is I already bought a suction cup flag for my 600 but on reading this I must upgrade it to at least double it's size.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law - Winston Churchill

GODZILLA

Go back where?  Some of the things you guys are posting is just ridiculous.  I am Mexican, and yet I was born in Fullerton.  What...?  I can't show pride to the land where my parents came from?

And please, don't say that this is "our country."  That is stupidity.

Lastly, this is not a Mexican holiday.  In fact, most of Mexico doesn't even celebrate this day.

Clem Kevin

I guarantee that these kids are some local crew of nazi wannabes and were just causing more trouble. This was the same kind of bullshit that went on at my school and if I could have found any reason to get the 'nazi's in high school to be sent home I would.

Offline ℒexanidubs09

Go back where?  Some of the things you guys are posting is just ridiculous.  I am Mexican, and yet I was born in Fullerton.  What...?  I can't show pride to the land where my parents came from?

Lastly, this is not a Mexican holiday.  In fact, most of Mexico doesn't even celebrate this day.

You're right. What I said was fvcked up and I apologize. I'm sorry.

bumble bee

and to think I let you in my truck  :4:  :32:

Offline ℒexanidubs09

and to think I let you in my truck  :4:  :32:

:32: :32: I'm not racist at all... I just had a heartless moment. That's all  :12:

GODZILLA

lol.  See ya'll at OM.

And still... administration was way out of line.
« Last Edit: 05/06/10 12:10PM by Erik »

Offline Endl╚╔sss

OMFG@!!@!@!@!@!@!@ i will never apologize for wearing the US flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doing R&D? I can get you 6% of your R&D cost back from your taxes! KBKG.com // Tax Credits Ľ Incentives Ľ Cost Recovery

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 58 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything