Linked Events   |   5 Attendees

Topic: Saturday June 19: Palomar, Julian, Borrego Springs, Ortega  (Read 5945 times)

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
  • Jerome Daoust's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
  • Bike: 2009 Honda CBR 1000RR C-ABS
  • Years Riding: Started in 1980
WHEN: Saturday June, 19 at 9:00 am (KSU time, so arrive before)
MEET: Mobil at the corner of Main & MacArthur (see map link below)
ROUTE: See map below
SKILL LEVEL: Noobie, Intermediate, Expert*

Map of the route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=W+MacArthur+Blvd&daddr=Del+Obispo+St+to:Unknown+road+to:Old+Castle+Rd+to:Valley+Center+Rd+to:S+Grade+Rd%2FPalomar+Mountain+Rd+to:Main+St+to:Main+St+to:33.25657,-116.380352+to:Apis+Rd+to:Grand+Ave+to:CA-74+W+to:S+Main+St&geocode=FW04AgIdBXf5-A%3BFXcx_wEd96X8-A%3BFbc7-wEdxUAC-Q%3BFYpg-wEdo9cE-Q%3BFU7v-wEdLVsH-Q%3BFaNC_AEdDq0I-Q%3BFbO--AEd0ccM-Q%3BFYK2-AEdGNMM-Q%3B%3BFabk_gEdoEsF-Q%3BFQC2AAIdO2YC-Q%3BFaA2_wEdubH8-A%3BFaI2AgIdYnn5-A&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=5,6&mrsp=8&sz=17&via=3,5,10&dirflg=t&sll=33.255987,-116.379118&sspn=0.007868,0.012982&ie=UTF8&ll=33.355767,-116.983795&spn=1.005968,1.661682&z=10

290 miles and about 6 1/2 hours of riding.

Point A: Start and gas station: Mobil at the corner of Main & MacArthur.
Point B: Gas station: Chevron on Ortega, on West (Ocean) side of 5 Fwy. 2nd meetup location: Be here before 9:20 am and wait for me.
Point C: Gas station: Chevron in Oceanside, corner of Hwy 76 and Town Center Dr. 3rd meetup location: Be here before 10:00 am and wait for me.
Point D: Short rest before Palomar Mountain.
Point E: Julian Grille in Julian for lunch.
Point F: Gas station: Ramco in Julian.
Point G: Break for Fudge and ice cream in Borrego Springs. Closed on 2010/6/19.
Point H: Gas station: 7-Eleven in Temecula.
Point I: Gas station: Shell on Ortega, on East side of 5 Fwy.
Point J: End at gas station: Mobil at the corner of Main & MacArthur.

************* Skill Levels Defined:
Noobie -You have been riding your motorcycle for at least 3 months (hopefully more) and have confidence that you can ride around streets without any issues eg. stopping at stop lights, not stalling the bike, not falling over etc, making u-turns, etc.
Intermediate - You have been riding for at least 6 months (hopefully more) and feel comfortable enough to handle twisty roads as found in local canyons. You are mature enough to understand going slow is okay and not to try and keep up with riders that are faster than you as it will result in a crash.
Expert - You have been riding for years and hopefully been riding with the members going on the ride long enough to know how they ride.
« Last Edit: 06/19/10 09:51PM by Jerome Daoust »

ocblog

Its going to be hotter than Satan's ball **ack, so wear ventilated and bring lots of water!

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
Its going to be hotter than Satan's ball **ack, so wear ventilated and bring lots of water!
No heat wave predicted for this weekend, and if anything it will be relatively cool for this time of year...
The forecast is under 100 F for this Saturday in Borrego Springs. And a nice 73 F for Julian.
« Last Edit: 06/15/10 01:01AM by Jerome Daoust »

Offline Klaus

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Klaus's Gallery
  • I fix problems.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too Many
  • Years Riding: Too Many
Sounds interesting... I might be in...
Efficiency is beauty.  Patterns rule the world.

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
I followed a good suggestion by Dee Dub to modify the route to avoid the 76 near Pala and go through Valley Center instead.
« Last Edit: 06/15/10 04:07PM by Jerome Daoust »

Offline daFunkyUnit

• 998cc
  • daFunkyUnit's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '09 Suzuki SV650SF, K6 GSX-R 750
  • Years Riding: 5+
I followed a good suggestion by Dee Dub to modify the route to avoid the 76 near Pala and go through Valley Center instead.

whats wrong with 76 near Pala?

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
Traffic. That road seems to attracts Priusses (what's the plural for Prius?).
« Last Edit: 06/15/10 11:10PM by Jerome Daoust »

Dee Dub

It's really the stop and go traffic that kills me.  We took the 76 for years, and go this way now...always.
It keeps you away from the slow traffic up to and beyond Pala as well.  Try it, you'll like it!

Would  I steer ya wrong?  :26:

ocblog

I stand corrected. Its like 80 or so according to my Apple. Please kick me in the teeth when you see me.
Cooks Taco night was decent run tonight.
We need more hotties!

Terry

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
Glad to see you joined the ride Mike, and I'm assuming you will meet me at point A, like you did last weekend.
Hopefully, no insect incidents this time (my bee sting and your in-helmet rider).

I improved the route to avoid the slow main drag in Elsinore. GPS has been programmed.

Offline BMW mike

• Lets do this shit
  • 125cc
  • BMW mike's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW S1000rr
  • Years Riding: 10+ Supercross 8+ Superbike
Never been to Borrego Springs and yes I'll meet you at the same place 9:00 PST  :7:

Offline kosherbakin

• 599cc
  • kosherbakin's Gallery
  • "Fat guy on a little bike."
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Yamaha R-6
  • Years Riding: 3
O boy my friends this is one of my favorate rides, but that last ride gave me a really bad swollen knee and a few bruses on me and my bike. Sugestions... make sure you include motazzumas pass in the rout +1, and stop G is a no go. They close the fudge shop in the summer because of bad buisness due to the incredible heat.. but there's ice cream next door but no fudge. Be safe and take lots of pics.

Greg

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
O boy my friends this is one of my favorate rides, but that last ride gave me a really bad swollen knee and a few bruses on me and my bike. Sugestions... make sure you include motazzumas pass in the rout +1, and stop G is a no go. They close the fudge shop in the summer because of bad buisness due to the incredible heat.. but there's ice cream next door but no fudge. Be safe and take lots of pics.
Greg
Nice to hear from you Greg,
We are definitely going through Montezuma Valley rd, it's great: Like Ortega but with less traffic. I just consider Banning Pass a rest stop in between 2 great portions of road, with the other one between Julian and Borrego Springs when we reach the valley floor and we get that roller coaster feeling.

Heal well and let's go riding together again,
   Jerome

Dee Dub

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
Just a heads up...
http://ocmoto.com/index.php?topic=29789
Thanks, will be on the lookout and will set the radar detector on "long range".

Offline daFunkyUnit

• 998cc
  • daFunkyUnit's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '09 Suzuki SV650SF, K6 GSX-R 750
  • Years Riding: 5+
Double heads up!

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Fire-Burns-East-of-Julian/yMisq9gH4UqoEGWelUQihA.cspx

SHELTER VALLEY - A brush fire that blackened about 100 acres east of Julian in eastern San Diego County is about 60 percent contained.  Firefighters hope to have it fully contained by noon Thursday.

The blaze, called the Narrows Fire, was reported off state Route 78 near Highway S2 about 5:05 p.m. Wednesday, Cal Fire spokesman Mike Mohler said.

The fire posed no immediate threat to homes or other buildings.

Two tanker planes and two helicopters made drops on the fire until sundown Wednesday, while an estimated 400 firefighters worked to contain the blaze on the ground, Mohler said.

Staffing was reduced to about 200 firefighters overnight, Mohler said.

Inmate crews were among those called in to work on the steep ground where the active fire was burning, Mohler said.

"Anytime there's uncontrolled fire, it's always a hazard to structures and property," Mohler said.

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06 R1, 05 BB Venom PRO-Street Chopper, 2010 KTM300 XC-W, 2011 KTM300 XC-W, 06 CRF450X (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 42 yrs dirt (play/race), 32 yrs street off/on
Yep, that is just east of the Banner Grade as you leave Juilian...
Sad to see they get fires there often but normally later in the year from Thunder strikes...

I'm not ruled out on this run yet but we'll see since already ditching out Sunday for some Father's day stuff...

Offline Jerome Daoust

• 749cc
    • View Profile
    • Expanding Knowledge
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Fire-Burns-East-of-Julian/yMisq9gH4UqoEGWelUQihA.cspx
SHELTER VALLEY - A brush fire that blackened about 100 acres east of Julian in eastern San Diego County is about 60 percent contained.  Firefighters hope to have it fully contained by noon Thursday.
The blaze, called the Narrows Fire, was reported off state Route 78 near Highway S2 about 5:05 p.m. Wednesday, Cal Fire spokesman Mike Mohler said.
The fire posed no immediate threat to homes or other buildings.
Two tanker planes and two helicopters made drops on the fire until sundown Wednesday, while an estimated 400 firefighters worked to contain the blaze on the ground, Mohler said.
Staffing was reduced to about 200 firefighters overnight, Mohler said.
Inmate crews were among those called in to work on the steep ground where the active fire was burning, Mohler said.
"Anytime there's uncontrolled fire, it's always a hazard to structures and property," Mohler said.
+1 for the warning, thanks.
Seems like it should be contained before (noon Thursday) we ride through.
But knowing there are inmate crews, I won't be picking up hitchhikers.

Gee, any other hazards I should know of? Maybe wild women on the loose in Temecula?
« Last Edit: 06/17/10 11:28AM by Jerome Daoust »

Offline BMW mike

• Lets do this shit
  • 125cc
  • BMW mike's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW S1000rr
  • Years Riding: 10+ Supercross 8+ Superbike
Yikes! Imates, Fires, twisties throw in an earthquake or two and we got a party.   :3: :24: :51:

Offline SiscoKid

I'll be there. I am bringing my ST so I can carry back a full pie.  I will be happy to bring up the rear as I know this route well.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 62 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything