Topic: Looking to upgrade from Z1000 to Hayabusa, any advice?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline slipgatecentral

Hey guys,

Was picking up my kawi from the shop today when I noticed used Hayabusa in front. 2007 (last year of 1st gen model), 21k miles on it. Couple  mods installed, Scorpion mufflers and DynoJet power commander. They listed it at KBB recommended price, $7900, and trade in for my Z1000 (2012, 28k miles) is around $5k. Salesman willing to make a better deal if I go for it. I also just had general expensive maintenance performed on it at the dealer, with chain and sprockets replaced.

No visible damage on 'Busa, just regular overall wear. I'd say it was kept in good shape but no way to tell for sure without service records.

More photos here, maybe you can spot something wrong with it.

Any advice? I'm going to use it mostly to commute between Irvine and west LA.  Obviously these are very different bikes, Z1000 is really great on the streets but freeways, especially on windy days, can be tiresome. Busa feels great, very well planted to the ground, always has enough power in any gear, not as nimble as kawi though. I can't tell how 2 hours a day in sport riding position will do it for me.

Is it a good deal or should I look for a newer one, or maybe used ZX14?
« Last Edit: 04/02/16 03:00PM by slipgatecentral »

Offline Makeitbacon

I paid 6500 for a 2006 ZX14 in 2012 with 6000 miles, private party. Honestly I loved the thing more than any other bike I've had, 600's and 1000's included. It was smoother and just easy to ride with tons of power, I made a few interstate trips on it and it had great range (almost 200 miles a tank). I would assume the hayabusa is very similar, and would jump on it if you feel it will be better for your situation. If I were freeway commuting daily, I wouldn't hesitate to get back on a large sport bike, but if you enjoy canyon carving, it's pretty heavy and not very enjoyable leaning over

Scott

I'm a little supprised you say your Z1000 isn't good on the freeway. I always heard they were great all around bikes. Love their look too. If I didn't have my current bike, a Z1000 is something I would be looking at strongly.

Speaking of looks, the Busa's are definely a love it or hate it. If you like it is all that matters.

I would definitly check insurance cost on a Busa vs your current bike or the ZX14. Also, I'm a huge fan of ABS and traction control; especially for a daily commuter bike in rush hour traffic.

Rogue

I owned that generation Hayabusa for 6 years and put 50k miles on one.  Commuted daily on it.  Toured on it at 300-450 miles a day.  Rode it around the SoCal canyons on weekends. 

Compared to bikes of this time it was definitely a step way above my VFR800 as far as power to weight ratio was concerned.  It had a fully adjustable suspension front and rear, so you can tune it to your liking.  It was also very reliable and nothing ever went wrong on mine.  The wind protection was amazing.  And I'm sure you know how fast these things can go.  I nearly lost my license during my time with it.  The engine on mine was damn smooth too and the torque!  Low end, mid-range, and top end was all there and in spades.  The handling was also pretty damn good for such a big bike.  That being said, I preferred the handling on my VFR800.  The VFR felt easier to ride but that manifested itself only when I was riding it furiously around tight twisties.  Everywhere else it was fine.  I got used to its riding position, which was between my VFR and a full on sportbike.  So, it wont be as comfy as your Z1000 that's for sure.

Basically, it was a road missile that could tour.  If you want to experience riding a bike that was(is) nearly omnipotent on the road, buy it.  I believe Suzuki went the wrong way with the next generation (heavier).  The first generation, especially the later one (1st Generation 2.0) was perfected to the point were it was bulletproof.  Do it.

Offline slipgatecentral

I'm a little supprised you say your Z1000 isn't good on the freeway. I always heard they were great all around bikes. Love their look too. If I didn't have my current bike, a Z1000 is something I would be looking at strongly.

Great, fun bike, but no windshield, and not very stable in windy weather, I get tossed around too much. That's 2 hours of freeway every day, sometimes I wish it was little bit more comfortable.

I would definitly check insurance cost on a Busa vs your current bike or the ZX14. Also, I'm a huge fan of ABS and traction control; especially for a daily commuter bike in rush hour traffic.

Good point, going to call them. From what I've heard, older models might cost less to insure.

Offline slipgatecentral

I paid 6500 for a 2006 ZX14 in 2012 with 6000 miles, private party. Honestly I loved the thing more than any other bike I've had, 600's and 1000's included. It was smoother and just easy to ride with tons of power, I made a few interstate trips on it and it had great range (almost 200 miles a tank). I would assume the hayabusa is very similar, and would jump on it if you feel it will be better for your situation. If I were freeway commuting daily, I wouldn't hesitate to get back on a large sport bike, but if you enjoy canyon carving, it's pretty heavy and not very enjoyable leaning over

I had a different experience with 2015 Hayabusa, it handled better and was overall more stable with better braking than this 2007 model. I guess nothing that can't be fixed considering huge variety of aftermarket for this bike.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Ninja 1000; '16 Tuono RR; '03 RM65 mini sumo; '08 R6 Track bike
  • Years Riding: Sport Bike: Fri 6/13/08 :)
The ZX1000 I have is super comfortable all around. Naked bikes like the Z1000 are indeed rough on the fwy. The Ninja is a great do-it-all bike. I would definitely pick it over something like a massive 'busa.

Offline slipgatecentral

I owned that generation Hayabusa for 6 years and put 50k miles on one.  Commuted daily on it.  Toured on it at 300-450 miles a day.  Rode it around the SoCal canyons on weekends. 

Compared to bikes of this time it was definitely a step way above my VFR800 as far as power to weight ratio was concerned.  It had a fully adjustable suspension front and rear, so you can tune it to your liking.  It was also very reliable and nothing ever went wrong on mine.  The wind protection was amazing.  And I'm sure you know how fast these things can go.  I nearly lost my license during my time with it.  The engine on mine was damn smooth too and the torque!  Low end, mid-range, and top end was all there and in spades.  The handling was also pretty damn good for such a big bike.  That being said, I preferred the handling on my VFR800.  The VFR felt easier to ride but that manifested itself only when I was riding it furiously around tight twisties.  Everywhere else it was fine.  I got used to its riding position, which was between my VFR and a full on sportbike.  So, it wont be as comfy as your Z1000 that's for sure.

Basically, it was a road missile that could tour.  If you want to experience riding a bike that was(is) nearly omnipotent on the road, buy it.  I believe Suzuki went the wrong way with the next generation (heavier).  The first generation, especially the later one (1st Generation 2.0) was perfected to the point were it was bulletproof.  Do it.

Great feedback, thanks. I'll keep researching but from what I've seen so far, looks like Gen1 is pretty reliable and with limitless potential for customizing. Some complaints about 2nd gear but mostly from people who been abusing it in drag races or such. Don't really care that much about dynamics, power difference between Gen1 and Gen2.

This one that's on sale is almost stock, which makes it more valuable.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
There's a positive to the bike, with exception of the pipes and the PC, everything else looks stock and the bike is clean.  Most likely non-squid owned and maintained responsibly, so it'll likely last for quite a few years.  An independent mechanic should look it over especially for frame damage and other trouble areas, if the dealer refuses, you should look elsewhere. 

Personally, if you're not happy with the Z1000 and wind protection, I'd suggest looking at aftermarket windscreens (it's cheaper in the long-run, especially if the old bike is paid off and you're financing the new one).  I had one installed on my Triumph and it made my 20+ mile commute comfortable.  Keep your options open although the Busa was designed in a wind tunnel and has a reputation for being stable at speed, going from a nimble naked to a sporty, but a heavier bike on your 40-mile commute plus hunched over ergos could make for a miserable ride.  Of course, read up on reviews and long-term tests of the 1st-gen Busa, there's plenty of info out there.   
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline -KENNETH-

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • -KENNETH-'s Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FZ-10
  • Years Riding: since '06
Dont

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to upgrade from Z1000 to Hayabusa, any advice?
« Reply #10 on: 04/02/16 08:38PM »

Also keep in mind lane splitting if you're commuting. That's a large bike!

Rogue

« Reply #11 on: 04/02/16 09:01PM »
The size of the Busa is a non-issue when riding in traffic. It has a low center of gravity also so slow speed maneuvering is easy. It's width was never a factor when I lane split with it. Of course if you compare one to a 600cc then the Busa will feel big. But the bike is just a big GSXR so it felt like a normal sportbike to me.

Offline IQ ZERO

« Reply #12 on: 04/02/16 09:16PM »

+1    2003, owned for 4 years, 12K miles. Still missing it.

Rogue

« Reply #13 on: 04/04/16 09:06AM »
I got a better look at the pictures of the bike.  That thing is cherry!  The rear fender has not been eliminated!  How nice!  LOL!  I'll bet the engine barely spent time above 7k RPM because it appears the owner was quite restrained.  You need restraint with this bike.  It will do 150 in heartbeat! 

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #14 on: 04/04/16 09:27AM »
I genuinely can not stand the bike. The engine, size, everything is fine, but to look at it makes me want to claw my eyes out with tooth picks!

If I wanted a big ST like that I'd look at the ZX14. It doesn't make my eyes bleed, and can be had for a fair price as those big bikes kinda lose value fast.

I doubt it matters as much when you're on the bike though.

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04/04/16 09:57AM »
I genuinely can not stand the bike. The engine, size, everything is fine, but to look at it makes me want to claw my eyes out with tooth picks!

LOL!!  Yea, I guess it's a love or hate type of thing.  I personally don't see the point; sport bikes need to be light and nimble.  With that kind of mass, I'd rather pick up a sport touring and be super comfortable.  That bike is still 50lbs+ more than my N1K, which is already a hefty 500lbs.

Offline robtheman

• 998cc
  • robtheman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
  • Years Riding: 30 off and on
« Reply #16 on: 04/04/16 11:48AM »
Have you thought about looking for a used Ninja 1000? I feel mine is a great freeway flyer with its full fairing, adjustable windscreen, and upright bars. Which are a touch more narrow than the Z1000. Power is never a issue and two up is comfortable too. I don't get beat down from the wind.

Rogue

« Reply #17 on: 04/04/16 12:34PM »

LOL!!  Yea, I guess it's a love or hate type of thing.  I personally don't see the point; sport bikes need to be light and nimble.  With that kind of mass, I'd rather pick up a sport touring and be super comfortable.  That bike is still 50lbs+ more than my N1K, which is already a hefty 500lbs.

All valid points.  The Hayabusa is a love it or hate it bike.

What sold the bike was that it was a game changer back in 1999.  Suzuki pulled out all the stops and not only made the fastest production bike, they also lavished it with quality components for the suspension, brakes, then wrapped it all up in the most aerodynamic package.  They even finished the cockpit quite nicely.  When this bike came out, all the magazine testers raved about how fast it was, and amazed at how well it handled.  Previous to this bike there was only the Honda CBR1100xx and the Kawasaki ZZR1200.  So the Hayabusa blew them all away, while giving liter bike fans all the stuff that normally come with supersports.

The result:  The Busa reputation became legendary. So much so that Suzuki was selling 10k units of this bike every year all the way to 2007.  Sales never faltered.  Name any sportbike that can do that today?  None.

Yes the Busa is heavy.  But just for comparison, the Honda VFR800 6th generation weighed 550 lbs.  The BMW K1300S is about the same.  The next lightest sport-tourer weighs well over 600 lbs. wet.  And those bikes look like police bikes.  Bikes like the Busa isn't really pretending to be a sport-tourer, or a supersport.  It's an in betweener like the VFR with massive power and top notch suspension.  It looks the way it looks because its form follows function.  We're talking Suzuki here not Ducati.  LOL!  Compare the Busa to the ZX14 and the ugly comparison becomes moot!
« Last Edit: 04/04/16 12:36PM by Rogue »

Offline luciano136

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • luciano136's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04/04/16 01:42PM »
Yes the Busa is heavy.  But just for comparison, the Honda VFR800 6th generation weighed 550 lbs.  The BMW K1300S is about the same.  The next lightest sport-tourer weighs well over 600 lbs. wet.  And those bikes look like police bikes.  Bikes like the Busa isn't really pretending to be a sport-tourer, or a supersport.  It's an in betweener like the VFR with massive power and top notch suspension.  It looks the way it looks because its form follows function.  We're talking Suzuki here not Ducati.  LOL!  Compare the Busa to the ZX14 and the ugly comparison becomes moot!

Yea, I guess it depends what you're looking for.  If you want massive power in a heavier sport bike, it may be the ticket.  That said, if you're looking for comfort and decent power, then the middleweight sport touring category has a decent selection.  Ninja 1000, Honda VFR, BMW 800GT, Triumph Sprint, etc.  All of those will be about the same or lighter than the 'busa and better for commuting.  I'm guessing they will also get better mileage if that plays a factor in the decision.

I guess my main point to the OP is: don't jump on something just because there is a decent deal out there.  Make sure it is exactly what you want.

« Last Edit: 04/04/16 01:51PM by luciano136 »

Rogue

« Reply #19 on: 04/04/16 01:57PM »
Agree on everything you said above.

But you know sometimes passion overcomes logic. Especially when it comes to bikes. Get whatever lights your fire.

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything